Temazepam is the DEVIL!!

[Te...]

I began taking Temazepam 30mg a little over 2.5yrs ago.  At first, I used it for a couple of months and then got off of it for a couple of months…no problem.  This continued for a few months and it seemed to work….I recall a night or so of rebound insomnia and then I returned to normal sleep.  This past year, life stressors caused me to stay on it continuously for 10 to 11 months.  Then…..the problems really started. I was waking up every 3-4hrs, I recognized the tolerance issue and knew I would eventually have to get off of it. I tried to, cold turkey and by the third day my life was not worth living!!! I went to the internet and began researching.

I work in the medical field so I actually have a fair knowledge of many drugs and drug interactions so I cannot begin to express how STUPID I feel for allowing myself to become dependent on this drug.  I knew how addictive benzos were but I rationalized that this was just a very short acting benzo and I could discontinue it just as I had during the first year of use. “Leasons learned” the hard way!!!

The past 3-4 months it all came crashing down on me.  I started to feel awful, especially in the afternoons which I now know I was experiencing interdose withdrawals. I had all the symptoms including fatigue, jittery, blurred vision & shortness of breath. I’ve had blood work done and many other tests….all negative.  None of the doctors even mentioned the possibility of the benzo issue.

I’ve had issues with insomnia for the past 10-12yrs and for many years I used melatonin, other herbal remedies and Benadryl until they completely stopped working, that’s how I began the Temazepam….nothing else was working. I did try Ambien for a few nights and it just made me crazy feeling.  I don’t have issues with anxiety and have never taken anti-depressants or any other psych meds…..my issue was just insomnia.  Maybe I shouldn’t say “just insomnia” because I know….when I can’t sleep….my life is hell and I can’t function.

Luckily, I have a primary doc of 20yrs that knows me well and is aware of my background in the medical field so he was willing to listen to me about tapering off the Tamazepam.  Although his first comment was….”I’ve never known anyone having a problem getting off of Temazepam”.  I thought to myself, you fool….that’s because when the Temazepam stopped working you probably switched them to Xanax or Klonopin. HaHa OK, I know that was mean but it’s probably true.

Anyway….I gave my nice doctor excerpts from the Ashton Manual and other websites.  He actually thanked me for the information and wrote me out scripts for 3 months of Diazepam to begin my taper.  I’m now on day 12 of the Ashton taper for 30mg Temazepam and so far, so good except I’m really having to space out the doses because of the sedating effect. 

I’m very grateful for this website and I’ve been reading it, faithfully for the past 6 weeks.     

TemazTaz,

Welcoming you to Benzo Buddies.

There are many members here tapering, or have tapered Diazepam crossing from Temazepam.

If you have any questions, let us know.

Good to have you here,

Billy.

[9e...]

Hi and welcome to BB,

I too work in the medical profession. I have worked in a lab for more than 27 years and part of my job is to measure drug levels. I throughly research (or thought I did) any med before I even considered taking it......I knew all about GABA receptors and the affinity and the chemical structure BUT for some reason I just didn't make the connection about how bad benzos were.

I feel that I can honestly say I know how you feel BUT as I often say in a kind way to someone who I think might be too hard on themselves.......and with a smile,  :) "please put the whip away". You are not stupid  :)

The important part is that you have the awareness and are on the right path now. It's hard to not play the blame game and going through the process of withdrawal is challenge enough.

I've tried to see my experience as an opportunity to be kind to myself and remind myself that every day I work on my taper it's a step in the right direction.

I wish you success with your taper and hope that you will let us know how you are doing.

Sending good thoughts your way, mandala  :)

Thanks for the welcome!! I'm so thankful I found the board, it has been a wealth of information.

Mandala, thank you for your kind words and support.  I really, really do feel STUPID.  :-[  You see..... for over 20yrs I've worked as a substance abuse counselor in a very large county hospital ER.  I deal with hardcore addicts on a daily basis and I couldn't even recognize the benzo w/d symptoms in myself.  Yes, I'm still kicking myself!!! I have patients brought in, all the time after having seizures from benzo w/d.

I do have concerns about the taper I'm following.  I try and take 2.5mg Diazepam around noon and even that small dose makes me feel lethargic.  I take another 2.5mg as soon as I get home from work and the other 7.5 mg with 7.5mg of Temaz an hour before I go to bed. I tend to get up in the morning feeling a little drugged.

In two days I will stop the Temaz and go to 15mg Diazepam....this concerns me.  I know others have posted that I will build a tolerance to the Diazepam, as time goes by.  But then I worry about whether or not I'll actually be able to sleep once I start reducing the Diazepam.  I have a rather fast paced and high stress type of job and I know I will not be able to function if I can't get, at least 5-6hrs of sleep at night.  Yes, I'm still really shaky about all of this and yes, I know I'm kind of obsessing about what may or may not happen.  :(   

Just to let you know that we have very similar situations, I too am in the healthcare field and found myself addicted to two benzos but have continued taking them for over 20yrs, I stopped Ativan c/t and am now working on Temazepam, using a liquid titration method as I talked to my Dr about a switch over to valium and he said he couldnt do it, so I am basically on my own, thank god I found this forum and the knowledge of the folks here that have helped me, I am going to get my Dr to right me a Rx to get my Temazepam from a compounding pharmacy as my method is not at all accurate, I started Feb 5th and am down to 27.5 from 30 and am holding right now, terrible insomnia and breathing difficulties too , not short of breath but difficulty getting a good satisfying deep breath, is that what you experience, its always nice to know we are not alone in this journey , good luck and I would like to follow your progress. Ladygrace

Just to let you know that we have very similar situations, I too am in the healthcare field and found myself addicted to two benzos but have continued taking them for over 20yrs, I stopped Ativan c/t and am now working on Temazepam, using a liquid titration method as I talked to my Dr about a switch over to valium and he said he couldnt do it, so I am basically on my own, thank god I found this forum and the knowledge of the folks here that have helped me, I am going to get my Dr to right me a Rx to get my Temazepam from a compounding pharmacy as my method is not at all accurate, I started Feb 5th and am down to 27.5 from 30 and am holding right now, terrible insomnia and breathing difficulties too , not short of breath but difficulty getting a good satisfying deep breath, is that what you experience, its always nice to know we are not alone in this journey , good luck and I would like to follow your progress. Ladygrace

Ladygrace, why wouldn't your doc agree to the Diazepam taper?  Did you try taking excerpts from the Ashton manual.....it explains it very clearly why this is the best option?  My doc read it and agreed to let me try it.  Temazepam is the Devil, for sure!! Before reading the Ashton Manual and going to my doctor, I tried tapering down with the Temazepam....it was hell....it's just too of a short acting benzo.  I just don't see how you can taper down with it and still sleep at night.  My short of breath was more like being out of breath from exhaustion.  I wish you the best and hope the compounding pharmacy can help.

Taz

[9e...]

Hi again TemazTaz  :)

I hear what you are saying about your area of expertise and why you feel the way you do. I'm glad you have some sense of relief due to finding this website.

I understand being obsessed about not getting sleep. If there is one thing I have learned in the past several weeks it's to constantly remind myself to try and live in the present moment. I know that is easier said than done. I hope my comments don't come across as a lecture. Just trying to offer suggestions of what's worked for me since Dec.

If I understand your post correctly you will begin your 15mg of Valium on Friday? Do you have the weekend off? and if yes hopefully this might help decrease some of your anxiety about not sleeping.

If Friday is the night of your first 15mg of Valium only, when you go to bed can you view your experience while in bed as a way to "rest your body" as opposed to what you are used to ie "going to sleep"? This approach has helped me a lot. In 2 weeks this past Jan I stopped taking a med for sleep that I had been on for 3 yrs. I was terrified of not sleeping and I did have many nights with no sleep but once I realized that I was at least resting, my anxiety decreased somewhat and I was able to get broken sleep.

I wish I could do more to help and I too would like to follow your progress.  :)

It's good to see that even people in the medical profession can get into trouble with this drug but then humble themselves enough to seek out the *collective wisdom* of those who have struggled with, first, the iatrogenic addiction and then countless hours of research (in order to pave the way for others).

Hi Temaz Taz,

I jumped off 20mg of Temazepam 12 weeks ago and can sleep really well and im not getting any bad withdrawal symptons.

Im 61 years old and took Temazepam 10 or 20mg for twenty five years i was only age 36 when i started on them. Last year my doctor asked me to try and reduce my dose and eventually stop taking them.  I was'nt on this site or anyother benzo site but completely on my own.  I broke my tablets up and reduced them slowly until August when i was left with a quarter and did'nt know what to do.  I joined TRAPS and they made me taper plan using wholemilk and in November i jumped off.  I did'nt cross over just slowly reduced my nightly dose down to nothing it took 8 months.

I was scared i would'nt sleep without them cause when i was taking them i could'nt sleep.  I can now have 8 hours sleep most nights and its much better no anxiety.  I have had some withdrawal symptons but nothing i cant cope with. :thumbsup:

In two days I will stop the Temaz and go to 15mg Diazepam....this concerns me.  I know others have posted that I will build a tolerance to the Diazepam, as time goes by.  But then I worry about whether or not I'll actually be able to sleep once I start reducing the Diazepam.  I have a rather fast paced and high stress type of job and I know I will not be able to function if I can't get, at least 5-6hrs of sleep at night.  Yes, I'm still really shaky about all of this and yes, I know I'm kind of obsessing about what may or may not happen.  :( 

You can probably get at least 5-6 hours of sleep a night if you taper slowly enough.  It's not too hard too control withdrawal symptoms with a slow taper as long as you start from a stable place to begin with.  That does mean waiting until you're feeling really stable from the crossover from temazepam before you start tapering the diazepam, though.

Hi Temaz Taz,

I jumped off 20mg of Temazepam 12 weeks ago and can sleep really well and im not getting any bad withdrawal symptons.

Im 61 years old and took Temazepam 10 or 20mg for twenty five years i was only age 36 when i started on them. Last year my doctor asked me to try and reduce my dose and eventually stop taking them.  I was'nt on this site or anyother benzo site but completely on my own.  I broke my tablets up and reduced them slowly until August when i was left with a quarter and did'nt know what to do.  I joined TRAPS and they made me taper plan using wholemilk and in November i jumped off.  I did'nt cross over just slowly reduced my nightly dose down to nothing it took 8 months.

I was scared i would'nt sleep without them cause when i was taking them i could'nt sleep.  I can now have 8 hours sleep most nights and its much better no anxiety.  I have had some withdrawal symptons but nothing i cant cope with. :thumbsup:

Wow.... :yippee:...good for you....I wish I could have had your experience.  I think my issue was that I had built up such a tolerance and I was without a doubt, experiencing interdose withdrawls months before I began my taper.  I tried tapering the Temazepam using milk and it was miserable for me.  I could still sleep as I was reducing the dose but the withdrawal symptoms would start up every day around 11AM to noon,  like clockwork....jittery, blurred vision, throbbing headache, jaw pain, fatigue, etc.  The day my doc gave me the diazepam, I filled the script and immediately took a 5mg tab.....within an hour all the symptom subsided.  :thumbsup:  I was sold on the Ashton type taper and I truly hope it works.  I'm going to try and reduce the dose on a weekly basis as long as I'm able to sleep. I hope your progress continues....I sure like to read your type of story!!!

Hi again TemazTaz  :)

I hear what you are saying about your area of expertise and why you feel the way you do. I'm glad you have some sense of relief due to finding this website.

I understand being obsessed about not getting sleep. If there is one thing I have learned in the past several weeks it's to constantly remind myself to try and live in the present moment. I know that is easier said than done. I hope my comments don't come across as a lecture. Just trying to offer suggestions of what's worked for me since Dec.

If I understand your post correctly you will begin your 15mg of Valium on Friday? Do you have the weekend off? and if yes hopefully this might help decrease some of your anxiety about not sleeping.

If Friday is the night of your first 15mg of Valium only, when you go to bed can you view your experience while in bed as a way to "rest your body" as opposed to what you are used to ie "going to sleep"? This approach has helped me a lot. In 2 weeks this past Jan I stopped taking a med for sleep that I had been on for 3 yrs. I was terrified of not sleeping and I did have many nights with no sleep but once I realized that I was at least resting, my anxiety decreased somewhat and I was able to get broken sleep.

I wish I could do more to help and I too would like to follow your progress.  :)

Thank you, mandala

I appreciate your suggestions.  I guess my real concern is, tomorrow when I d/c the Temaz and increase the Diazepam....I'm concerned about over sedation and awaking groggy and drugged feeling.  I've been taking 2.5mg at noon and that starts me yawning and feeling lethargic.  I am off, this weekend so I will have a couple of days to give it a try.  Are there ever cases when I person can reduce the Diazepam, this soon because of over sedation?  If I were to drop the Temaz and go with 12.5mg Diazepam at night, now.....would I experience withdrawals? 

Taz

It's good to see that even people in the medical profession can get into trouble with this drug but then humble themselves enough to seek out the *collective wisdom* of those who have struggled with, first, the iatrogenic addiction and then countless hours of research (in order to pave the way for others).

Hi gail,

I love your signature, well said!!  :thumbsup: Yes, we folks in the medical profession get caught off guard, too. 

Taz

[9e...]

Hi Taz,

Quick reply to your question about dosage. This is not a question I'm comfy with answering but it is a good question to post in the "withdrawal and recovery" area......I think thats what its called in this forum.

There are many more experienced people who can help you with this kind of question.

Sending good energy your way as always, mandala  :)

Hi gail,

I love your signature, well said!!  :thumbsup: Yes, we folks in the medical profession get caught off guard, too. 

Taz

Yeah, I can imagine, Taz. ... we tend to believe those in "authority" ... like the FDA. And we KNOW the FDA had to approve these drugs .. so they must be safe!

But there were other drugs approved as safe and later taken off the market and which are responsible for far fewer deaths than benzos.

There is something terribly wrong with that, isn't there?

The thing about these drugs, is - the patient can be personally blamed for the drug's failure.

They were "addicted"  ...  yeah - they were addicted. Iatrogenically, in most cases.

They "abused" the drug ...  nah - the DRUG abused THEM, insidiously ... gradually ... subtly ... and BEFORE the patient realizes what is going on, they are entrenched.

They 'added' other drugs ... maybe ... but with the hell these pills put a person through when addicted and while trying to withdraw they begin to have meltdown and tend to freak out. The drug is prescribed, right? And the doc knows what they are doing, right? Hell. If my doc had told me I would have to be placed on and ANTI-SEIZURE  drug to get off THIS  one. I would have said, "Not no, but HELL NO!"

I'm beginning to sound angry, so I shut up now ....... (For now.)

gail