Use EXTREME caution if using an antacid.

[so...]

Intend......is it true that Pepcid is stronger than Zantac ?

How do Tums promote rebound reflux, and why are they worse taken at bedtime ?

I tapered off of prilosec about 3 years ago.  The PPI's worked for a short time after my c/t, but then I started having trouble again with eating, gi symptoms.  I tapered off about 3 years ago.  I was taking small bites of Tums at times when I felt indigestion....and after I came off of librax....I felt some stomach pain during the night and started taking a little bite of Tum at bedtime.  The heartburn pain started getting severe about 10 months off of librax.  Had a endoscopy, colonoscopy....in April, and the endoscopy showed gastritis, duodenitis, esophagus inflammation (heartburn and spasms were my symptoms).....tested positive for h pylori.  I took the antibiotic treament, along with prilosec for 2 weeks....and the breath test showed me clear about 6 weeks later.  Since that treatment, I have been taking zantac because I still feel some discomfort....and still have to eat pretty much bland. 

The endoscopy I had in 2008 showed h pylori, but he said it wasn't causing a problem and didn't treat it.  I am thinking that the stress of w/d caused it to flare up.  The little bit of Tum that I was taking wasn't enough to treat it.....but could it have been promoting reflux by taking it at bedtime ? 

I had wondered about menopause causing me digestive symptoms for some years now.  Does that clear up at some point ?  My weight is low, and I haven't been able to eat normally for years.

I notice side effects from zantac, and was thinking about switching back to pepcid. I took it for a month before taking the antibiotic treatment.

I am so sorry about your surgeries.  You have been through a lot.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [fi...]

• [ed...]

• [ve...]

Sunnygirl,

Well I read somewhere that pepcid is stronger than Zantac first of all. But when I was in the hospital, the doctors not only gave me omeprazole during the day, but pepcid Rx strength before bed. When I went home, they Rxed me omeprazole, and pepcid at release. Of course, I was healing from literally having my entire trachea severed and stitched together, so they were not taking any chances. I would check the Internet on these strengths, but im fairly sure that pepcid(famotidine OTC) is the strongest.

I can't remember how I know about the tums. I think they are fine during the day, not taken to excess, but of course, the doctors told me to avoid then for bed as that is when they appear to work ok, but just promote repeated attacks, especially while you are still in bed, and then it hits you again. I just don't take them at all, but many do as their problems are mild, plus they have calcium in them for women and osteoporosis. But I would only take these during the day if at all.

I had a neighbor awhile back who had esophageal strictures: his esophagus would just grow tissue at the base leading to the stomach which lead to his inability to have food enter his stomach at all. He needed periodic "stretching" of this as surgery wasn't recommended, and he would always end up on a limited course of PPIs afterwards for several weeks, so I do think that once someone is on them, they're not necessarily for life.

I think taking tums at night before bed and while in bed will promote rebound refux just based on what my doctors told me. My husband did it too awhile back and he was always having to get up and take more so he switched to Zantac. But I buy this stuff at SAMs club so I just recently bought the pepcid instead again because I read again it was stronger. He doesn't seem to have ant side effects from the Zantac and it seems to control his sx pretty well, but when it runs out he'll be taking pepcid.

I totally know that menopause brings on lots of digestives sx. I have Susan Loves hormone book and she lists tons of sx associated with menopause. Gastrointestinal sx are t the top of the list of about 50. I really don't know if that stops or not. Other sx do. But I can't really take a chance with my history.

I give pepcid a try if I were you. Can't hurt. It's OTC. Best of luck.

Intend

Thanks Intend !

I have some pepcid here....so I may switch back to it.  I took tagamet some years back, and it does interact with other meds....so I don't want to make that mistake.

I'll be careful to not take any tums at bedtime.  I don't need any rebound reflux.....or whatever causes the heartburn for me.

Best of luck to you, too. :)

The FDA has warnings about the risks of long term use.

My brother inlaw has been on them for years and now needs b12 injections because of it. The FDA warns about magnesium and calcium but not the b12.

My doctor had me on Nexium and another thing for about 6 months to a year, years ago

I often wonder if that's why I now have the b12 deficiency

Intend, I reread my earlier post and I didn't think I was clear.  I must have been tired when I typed it.  :)

At any rate, by antacids I was referring to Tums, Mylanta, Maalox, etc. (not Zantac).  Sorry if I was unclear.

Thanks.

fg

fg,

I'm totally clear now about what you meant. Good to know about the Zantac even though I'm not taking it. But that group includes  pepcid also which is famotidine.

Seems like we're experts on this subject. Just as well. It's important to know this stuff. Too many people susceptible to being scared when they may really need these meds.

Intend

fg,

I'm totally clear now about what you meant. Good to know about the Zantac even though I'm not taking it. But that group includes  pepcid also which is famotidine.

Seems like we're experts on this subject. Just as well. It's important to know this stuff. Too many people susceptible to being scared when they may really need these meds.

Intend

You're right.  I would have never gotten on Psychotropic drugs (including Klonopin) had I properly treated the acid reflux (which required PPI's).  I was so scared to take these pills that the acid reflux got worse and I was afraid to eat because of the pain in my lungs (asthma) and my stomach (which happened when I ate). 

As a result, I got down to 106 lbs. and had to go on Paxil.  The rest is history.  Had I taken the drugs faithfully early on (and not been scared by the negative reports by some), then I would have never been on benzos.

Just a little background ...

fg

I came off Protonix abruptly in the two or so months before I accepted the benzo prescription. I always wondered if there was a connection, especially after meeting aj12 on here and seeing how slowly she needed to taper hers.

I took pilosec for about 5 years, every day. Never caused me problems, but I noticed if I didnt take any for two days, all hell would break loose with the rebound acid hypersecretion.

My stomach has been through hell in benzo withdrawal though. When I was 4-5 months out, the prilosec stopped working. At least I thought it did. Apparently, it was from whatever the benzos did to my stomach. I quit the prilosec and it was brutal. I ended up starting zantac and have been taking it ever since. When I dont take the zantac, I have bad dyspepsia and rebound acid, but it only lasts a few days. Coming off prilosec, I had rebound acid for 2 months! When I tapered prilosec, I got some of the prescription capsules, which have large beads in them (I think about 16-18 in each capsule) and took some beads out, etc.

I came off Protonix abruptly in the two or so months before I accepted the benzo prescription. I always wondered if there was a connection, especially after meeting aj12 on here and seeing how slowly she needed to taper hers.

I honestly went slow because I was scared after going too fast with the benzos!  :D  But better too slow than too fast -- I barely had any rebound acid.  However, I honestly think I may have just been one of the lucky ones with the PPIs because some people don't get it.  Not so with benzos -- I'll be a year off in a couple days and still symptomatic.

I've been PPI free for about 6 months (and antacid free for about 4.5) and I pretty much have no acid reflux/heartburn type symptoms.  In my case, everything was benzo related and has pretty much cleared up.  I know a lot of people do have acid reflux unrelated to benzos, so I think it does have to be an individual decision as far as taking PPIs/antacids.  I just would say NOT to get on them if it's only a little heartburn/nausea (as it was in my case) because there's no telling if you'll end up with bad acid rebound or not.  However, if you are one of the people who had stomach issues due to benzo withdrawal, there IS hope, trust me.  I've had a little nausea the last few weeks but I think I'm hitting the one year wave or something.

I have read that the PPIs do cause rebound acid when coming off. But, when you think about it, if you go on them for acid reflux, and then stop taking them, youre probably going to get acid again.

Some times I think rebound means maybe worse acid than when the drug was started. Well, these are serious drugs so it pays to understand as much as possible. Ive never tried to taper off as Ive had all those throat operations necessitated by acid getting into my trachea. So I just keep taking them, and the doctor doesnt see an issue.

It a definite weighing of the benefits issue for me. Im not crazy about taking anything and I dont other than omeprazole and these wonderful benzos. But there was a point where my cholesterol got a little high. I managed to get it down by diet so no statins for me. Besides, new reseach has established a correlation (not causation) between statins and heart disease and also dementia.

At one point, all the docs were even on statins. Took hubby to the doctor last week and we discussed that particular issue. He admitted that theyve all pretty much stopped (most were taking them as preventative without actually needing them).  No drugs is side effect free.

Intend

The thing to realize with PPIs is that there are real tests a gastroenterologist can do like scoping. Thats a simple procedure that takes about 45 minutes under verced (sp here is off cause I dont know how to spell it), and yes I guess that is a benzo.

But the point is if you have a scoping, the doctor can really tell if you need these. The esophagus will show irritation thats very visible. And some people do have lots of trouble with benzo withdrawl and stomach issues. Ive had a few myself, but no acid reflux.  Theres a big difference between stomach aches, diarrhea and acid reflux. PPIs are for acid reflux. And having said that, itvis surely possible to get stomach aches and other GI problems from the reflux, but the reflux starts it. And benzo w/d can cause treatable reflux that can go away after w/d is complete.

Intend

The thing to realize with PPIs is that there are real tests a gastroenterologist can do like scoping. Thats a simple procedure that takes about 45 minutes under verced (sp here is off cause I dont know how to spell it), and yes I guess that is a benzo.

But the point is if you have a scoping, the doctor can really tell if you need these. The esophagus will show irritation thats very visible. And some people do have lots of trouble with benzo withdrawl and stomach issues. Ive had a few myself, but no acid reflux.  Theres a big difference between stomach aches, diarrhea and acid reflux. PPIs are for acid reflux. And having said that, itvis surely possible to get stomach aches and other GI problems from the reflux, but the reflux starts it. And benzo w/d can cause treatable reflux that can go away after w/d is complete.

Intend

Versed is in the benzodiazapene class.  However, one can request Propofol instead, at least for colonoscopy as I did last Spring.  I imagine it can be used for endoscopy too.  Check with your doctor. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midazolam

Vertigo

Kate,

Yes, tums are safe to take. Just dontvusethem before bed as they often cause rebound reflux in the middle of the night. Then you find yourself getting up to take more.

Additionally, if you have a lot of reflux and find yourself taking tums a lot during the day (and you have to decide what "a lot" means), you should see a doctorcabout your reflux problem.

Intend

Just wanted to put out to you guys that celery juice helps with heartburn as well.. I try to drink about 10 stalks a day.. watermelon juice helps as well..

hope this helps..

thank you for this post,I have a lot of stomache trouble and have taken them sporadically but oddly enough i found they made me quite depressed.

as if benzos werent doing a good job of that.!!

wanted to add that i have terrible breathing problems as well from severe sleep apnea and I find the antacids help but I can see how they would create a huge problem in the long run.