Use EXTREME caution if using an antacid.

[so...]

There have been several threads lately about acid reflux and I would like to urge EVERYONE taking a PPI or something line Tums to exercise extreme caution.  These Meds are not intended to be taken for an extended period of time. Read the label on a package of Prilosec the next time you're at a drug store.  It says to only take for two weeks and there's a reason for this.

A few years ago I suffered from acid reflux due to high stress so my doctor put me on 40mg daily of A med called protonix. The first 6 mths went by trouble free when I began to notice certain foods were bothering me. I'd never had a problem in the past and decided I was getting older. Then came a whole new set of physical problems that I'd never experienced befor like extreme joint/muscle pain, abdominal cramping that cannot be described, weekly migraines and inflamed sinuses along with a few others.  I was literally falling apart and after several ER visits a dozens of trips to the doctor I was finally diagnosed with anxiety which is when benzos entered my life.  I was so bad that all I could eat was plain salad, boiled eggs and soy milk. I truley wanted to die.

One day I was in the emergency room at 4am because the stomach pain was too much to bear when I saw a commercial for Prilosec and one of the mentioned side effects was abdominal pain. The light bulbs went off!  I quit taking this PPI the next day and within 7 days I noticed most of my problems getting better.

PPI's work by actually shutting your stomach OFF! Your body relies on stomach acid to digest food, kl bacteria and otherwise keep you healthy. My doctor almost killed me with this stuff...I was on it for 5 years and at a dose 4 times the recommended amount.  Use caution!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [fi...]

• [ed...]

• [ve...]

Fun fact: prilosec disrupts an enzyme that's critical for breaking down various other chemicals, to the degree that I've seen reports of opiate addicts combining it with loperamide (immodium) which is technically an opioid that cannot cross the blood brain barrier, in an effort to get high off of it. That is a neurotoxic and unbelievably dangerous thing to do, but my point is that the PPIs are drugs with demonstrable and strong effects on the CNS.

I took prilosec for several months at double-dose on doctors orders years ago, and when I stopped I had the worst acid reflux of my life for quite a while, which is basically caused by a similar process to the downregulation that we see with long-term benzo use (but occurs in the stomach, the things that make acids get used to being suppressed and get stronger).

I've also seen reports that elderly people taking PPIs are astronomically more likely to suffer hip fractures -- that's from peer-reviewed research data, and people have suggested there might be increased risks of bone degeneration with long term use.

I'm not saying any of these things are bad (or good) per se, just that people are well advised to independently research any and all drugs that they take, and raise any concerns they might have with their doctors.

The FDA has warnings about the risks of long term use.

My brother inlaw has been on them for years and now needs b12 injections because of it. The FDA warns about magnesium and calcium but not the b12.

[1a...]

Wow...I am in a world of trouble. I have been on Omeprozal (same as Prilosac) twice a day (40mg a day for) 1 month and a half (and the box only says to take one but the doctor told me to take two). I just stopped it for the first time today. Do you think I have been on it long enough so that I will experience withdrawal or problems?

Wow...I am in a world of trouble. I have been on Omeprozal (same as Prilosac) twice a day (40mg a day for) 1 month and a half (and the box only says to take one but the doctor told me to take two). I just stopped it for the first time today. Do you think I have been on it long enough so that I will experience withdrawal or problems?

Why were you put on them? If acid is severe and causing damage, make sure your doc knows you're stopping them. If you were put on them without a tummy scope to prove that you need them,, try to get that. There are other tests to see how often acid is pushed up as well.

They should be tapered off, but the time you've been on them you should be ok.

Be prepared for rebound acid reflux. Aluminum free baking soda works.

Ugh. I don't want to hear this. I went on Prilosec just before going on clonazzepam and it literally changed my life. I went from suffering horrible acid reflux on almost a daily basis to actually being able to enjoy life. I asked my doctor (the same one who prescribed me the benzo) if it was safe to take long term and she told me that it was, that the package insert says "only take for 14 days" because they don't want people self diagnosing.

I do have a feeling that all hell would break loose if I were to stop taking it now, but what's my alternative? Go back to living in misery or not being able to eat anything but boiled chicken?

I'm sure I will have to face it some day but that day is definitely not today!

Ugh. I don't want to hear this. I went on Prilosec just before going on clonazzepam and it literally changed my life. I went from suffering horrible acid reflux on almost a daily basis to actually being able to enjoy life. I asked my doctor (the same one who prescribed me the benzo) if it was safe to take long term and she told me that it was, that the package insert says "only take for 14 days" because they don't want people self diagnosing.

I do have a feeling that all hell would break loose if I were to stop taking it now, but what's my alternative? Go back to living in misery or not being able to eat anything but boiled chicken?

I'm absolutely not advocating ignoring doctor's advice, or telling anyone else what to put in their bodies. I was just trying to convey that PPIs are drugs, and that people taking them should be aware of that and be aware of the potential liabilities. It may well be that for some people the benefits outweigh the risks. There is a drug used in the treatment of certain cancers which is pretty much guaranteed to cause permanent hearing loss and tinnitus, but people take it anyway because the alternative is dying sooner. There's nothing wrong with knowingly consenting to a risk (we all do it every time we get in a car, for example). My problem is with medical providers who are themselves uninformed, or do not fully inform patients of problems down the road.

Was proper testing done? Did she do a scope? Lots of things can cause acid reflux. Gall stones/thick bile, food allergy's/sensitivities,  gut flora etc.

Hard to trust a doc who says benzo's are safe.

If your doctor has prescribed this medication to you for good reason, do not stop taking it without consulting a medical professional first.  I have been taking a PPI for the past two years, having been diagnosed, via a scope, with GERD and a hiatal hernia.  Before finding the right PPI my life was a nightmare, and I was in constant pain and discomfort.  I had also sustained a lot of damage to my esophagus, due to the acid reflux/GERD I was dealing with, which is very serious.  Had I not begun a daily regime of PPI's the damage to my esophagus would have continued and that can result in Barrett's esophagus or even cancer - not something I would advise anyone to mess around with.  ALL medications have potential side effects - every single one!  But you don't see people who have to take medications for cancer or to keep their heart from stopping or for diabetics suddenly stopping their medications due to potential side effects, and the use of PPI's, for some people, is no different.  Acid reflux is no joke, and it is a condition that should be treated and taken seriously. Thanks to my PPI, the damage to my esophagus has been reversed.

If you have been told to take a PPI for the occasional bout of reflux or heartburn, then I do no think you need to be on this drug for life, as was the case for the originator of this post.  But if you suffer from acid reflux disease or GERD due to a weak/compromised LES or, as in my case, a hiatal hernia, you need to take some form of mediation or radically alter your diet to combat the horrid symptoms.  In my particular case, when my reflux was extremely troublesome it didn't matter what I ate or didn't eat, the pain and discomfort were the same - hellish.  However, now that I have healed, since my benzo taper, I have been able to lower the daily dose of my PPI from 40mg to 20mgs, and I am also able to alternate between using a PPI one day and a H2 Blocker (Zantac) the next.  One day, maybe, I hope to step away from PPI's altogether.  But if that day doesn't come, I will take whatever I need to in order to protect my esophagus from acid reflux and to enjoy a certain quality of life.

One last note, if you are thinking of coming off of a PPI do NOT simply stop taking it.  A PPI should be tapered, rather like a benzo.  And to help in the tapering process I would recommend that people look into H2 blockers and natural acid reflux remedies, such as DGL and Aloe Vera.

The doctor who put me on a PPI originally prescribed Protonix after telling him that I have severe, frequent heartburn. No tests were ever done. He don't even think he looked me in the eye when he distracetedly listened to what I was saying.

When I went to pick up a script after having taken the drug and having great success with it the pharmacist suggested I try Prilosec which worked equally as well.

Don't worry, I know if I do get off of it it needs to be tapered (of course my doctor said nothing about this) and I know that if I can't control it naturally that I will need some kind of med to treat it.

FloridaGuy -

I could have written this almost verbatim except that I started with Prevacid (switched to Nexium later) and have been taking it daily for 15 years now. It probably saved my life. I had the reflux pH test done over two days of continuous readings. It was miserable, but the pH coming up into my esophagus was something like 2.0. Very acidic. My father had horrid reflux and developed cancer of the esophagus simply because all there was to treat heartburn in those days were things like Rolaids (which he ate like candy). He was an alcoholic, and so am I. I am certain that has contributed to the reflux as well as the Klonopin. As I get further along in my healing (and further away from the booze and benzos), I am beginning to notice that I am having less reflux. Perhaps it will disappear with time. I wouldn’t be surprised.

I have been taking calcium citrate (including vitamin D) so that my body can absorb calcium and keep my bones from weakening. That can be a problem with PIs. I know the misery would be unbearable right now if I ditched the Nexium. Not a good idea…but maybe some day when this ordeal is finished.

eli

• 3 months later...

If your doctor has prescribed this medication to you for good reason, do not stop taking it without consulting a medical professional first.  I have been taking a PPI for the past two years, having been diagnosed, via a scope, with GERD and a hiatal hernia.  Before finding the right PPI my life was a nightmare, and I was in constant pain and discomfort.  I had also sustained a lot of damage to my esophagus, due to the acid reflux/GERD I was dealing with, which is very serious.  Had I not begun a daily regime of PPI's the damage to my esophagus would have continued and that can result in Barrett's esophagus or even cancer - not something I would advise anyone to mess around with.  ALL medications have potential side effects - every single one!  But you don't see people who have to take medications for cancer or to keep their heart from stopping or for diabetics suddenly stopping their medications due to potential side effects, and the use of PPI's, for some people, is no different.  Acid reflux is no joke, and it is a condition that should be treated and taken seriously. Thanks to my PPI, the damage to my esophagus has been reversed.

If you have been told to take a PPI for the occasional bout of reflux or heartburn, then I do no think you need to be on this drug for life, as was the case for the originator of this post.  But if you suffer from acid reflux disease or GERD due to a weak/compromised LES or, as in my case, a hiatal hernia, you need to take some form of mediation or radically alter your diet to combat the horrid symptoms.  In my particular case, when my reflux was extremely troublesome it didn't matter what I ate or didn't eat, the pain and discomfort were the same - hellish.  However, now that I have healed, since my benzo taper, I have been able to lower the daily dose of my PPI from 40mg to 20mgs, and I am also able to alternate between using a PPI one day and a H2 Blocker (Zantac) the next.  One day, maybe, I hope to step away from PPI's altogether.  But if that day doesn't come, I will take whatever I need to in order to protect my esophagus from acid reflux and to enjoy a certain quality of life.

One last note, if you are thinking of coming off of a PPI do NOT simply stop taking it.  A PPI should be tapered, rather like a benzo.  And to help in the tapering process I would recommend that people look into H2 blockers and natural acid reflux remedies, such as DGL and Aloe Vera.

Good information, Bevoir.  I have been on Aciphex and Zegerid for about 5 years now (or close to it).  I have, however, started having fatigue after taking Aciphex.  I don't know if this is due to low Iron or if I only need one PPI now (which my doctor eventually wants to get me down to).  I don't seem to have this fatigue with Zegerid.  The fatigue just started a few months ago, by the way.

Sincerely,

fg

• 3 months later...

I was having extreme heart burn for the past few weeks..I didnt know what was going on until someone mentioned it here b/c I started having throat spasms and I wasnt sure if it was wthdrawl or what! someone here said that they have it and the Dr told them it was reflux..sure enough thats what it was..a few weeks later it started causing me breathing problems..

I didnt wanna be on those meds either, I red the fine print and what the OP mentioned scared me so I just stared juicing and eating more raw foods and i havent had to take any meds after that..

SMH at the Dr's prescribing this junk..

I was having extreme heart burn for the past few weeks..I didnt know what was going on until someone mentioned it here b/c I started having throat spasms and I wasnt sure if it was wthdrawl or what! someone here said that they have it and the Dr told them it was reflux..sure enough thats what it was..a few weeks later it started causing me breathing problems..

I didnt wanna be on those meds either, I red the fine print and what the OP mentioned scared me so I just stared juicing and eating more raw foods and i havent had to take any meds after that..

I don't think it's necessarily junk.  It can be very helpful for short term control of acid reflux/GERD, but one ought to be careful about using long term.  There can be impact on B12 or calcium if used longterm, from what I've heard.  When I had ulcers many years ago, zantac was a miracle "drug" for me.  Tagamet did not work.

V

It is a question of weighing the benefits versus the disadvantages.

I have had 14 surgeries on my trachea due to severe breathing problems attributed to acid reflux.

Two of those surgeries required each a 10 day hospitalization. With the first one, a rib was removed and the closing part of my trachea was rebuilt using the rib cartilage.

During that second one, I had to have two inches of my trachea excised. My voice is now altered, and it's frankly been rather difficult.

The basic problem was that acid got into my trachea, caused severe scarring, and the scarring just continued to grow, and finally blocking my trachea. I did have many tests, scoping on both my trachea and my esophagus. My esophagus was pre-Barrets esophagus.

In my case, I am not happy about taking omeprazole, but I doubt I would survive another situation like this.

Intend

I don't think it's necessarily junk.  It can be very helpful for short term control of acid reflux/GERD, but one ought to be careful about using long term.  There can be impact on B12 or calcium if used longterm, from what I've heard.  When I had ulcers many years ago, zantac was a miracle "drug" for me.  Tagamet did not work.

V

yeah your right...I guess my problem is the long term..and noone really warns you about it..I guess its up to us to read the fine print..

It is a question of weighing the benefits versus the disadvantages.

I have had 14 surgeries on my trachea due to severe breathing problems attributed to acid reflux.

Two of those surgeries required each a 10 day hospitalization. With the first one, a rib was removed and the closing part of my trachea was rebuilt using the rib cartilage.

During that second one, I had to have two inches of my trachea excised. My voice is now altered, and it's frankly been rather difficult.

The basic problem was that acid got into my trachea, caused severe scarring, and the scarring just continued to grow, and finally blocking my trachea. I did have many tests, scoping on both my trachea and my esophagus. My esophagus was pre-Barrets esophagus.

In my case, I am not happy about taking omeprazole, but I doubt I would survive another situation like this.

Intend

wow thats scary...

wishing you all the best.

Edaluver,

My problem was rare, but within the ENT research community, they see a lot of this. Acid reflux can cause lots of problems with breathing, usually more asthma like than what happened to me. But it's not junk medication or Junk science.

I do not use the Prilosec with magnesium or the Nexium with magnesium. Those seem to be worse for nutritional problems like bone trouble, calcium depletion, and b12 depletion.

Just some extra info.

Intend

Edaluver,

My problem was rare, but within the ENT research community, they see a lot of this. Acid reflux can cause lots of problems with breathing, usually more asthma like than what happened to me. But it's not junk medication or June science.

I do not use the Prilosec with magnesium or the Nexium with magnesium. Those seem to be worse for nutritional problems like bone trouble, calcium depletion, and b12 depletion.

Just some extra info.

Intend

Geez, its scaring me b/c I had to go into the hospital b/c of the breathing problems..but I didnt know that the reflux and breathing had a link until awhile later and thats when I just started juicing and eating more raw foods , b/c I didnt want to keep taking those meds..havent had to pop a prilosec since and i just took 2 tums since and its been about 2 or 3 weeks now..

I have a Dr's appt this week anyways just to get it checked out but i know that food and spices are the culprits..

Well I truly wish you the best. It is the foods, but it's also other things.

Being overweight can cause trouble cause a heavier stomach puts pressure to force the acid upwards.

Also, some women can start having trouble around menopause due to hormone changes.

I'm sure you'll get this figured out. Believe me, being an any acid reducer like PPIs, Zantac, or pepcid is not like being on a benzo. Don't let anyone scare you. You may need something and you may not. A good gastroenterologist can truly tell you, not scare tactics from other people.

Just some more info for you: PPIs are the most effective, but should be taken while up and not before bed.

H2 agonists are second like Pepcid (famotidine is strongest), Zantac (second strongest), and Tagamet (cimetidine which interacts with tons of other meds including benzos I think). I'd avoid Tagamet.

Tums are ok once in awhile, but promote rebound reflux and are at their worst if taken when going to bed.

Ok that's it. Sorry to inundate you with info. Like I said you may or may not need anything. I've learned all this cause of what I've been through. It was 8 years of treatment I had and still have follow up. Some of this info is not on boxes or the Internet.

Lastly, anything with aluminum in it like imodium really isn't a good idea. Good luck.

Intend

Edaluver,

My problem was rare, but within the ENT research community, they see a lot of this. Acid reflux can cause lots of problems with breathing, usually more asthma like than what happened to me. But it's not junk medication or June science.

Just some extra info.

Intend

Geez, its scaring me b/c I had to go into the hospital b/c of the breathing problems..but I didnt know that the reflux and breathing had a link until awhile later and thats when I just started juicing and eating more raw foods , b/c I didnt want to keep taking those meds..havent had to pop a prilosec since and i just took 2 tums since and its been about 2 or 3 weeks now..

I have a Dr's appt this week anyways just to get it checked out but i know that food and spices are the culprits..

Acid reflux can indeed exacerbate asthma.  I started dealing with this about 8 years ago.  I am now on Aciphex daily (and occasionally Zegerid at night).  Nothing natural worked for me.

fg,

I remember awhile back that you mentioned that you understood that PPIs didn't interfere with benzos in general.

Do you still think that's the case?

I'm just wondering cause I try to schedule taking K several hours away from taking omeprazole.

But at some point (and I don't know for sure), I may have to go to dosing three times per day. That will make it harder to schedule around the two drugs.

So not asking for a medical opinion here, but when do you take your PPI, and have you noticed any interaction?

Intend

fg,

I remember awhile back that you mentioned that you understood that PPIs didn't interfere with benzos in general.

Do you still think that's the case?

I'm just wondering cause I try to schedule taking K several hours away from taking omeprazole.

But at some point (and I don't know for sure), I may have to go to dosing three times per day. That will make it harder to schedule around the two drugs.

So not asking for a medical opinion here, but when do you take your PPI, and have you noticed any interaction?

Intend

Hi Intend.  I haven't noticed any difference when I take my PPI's together with my Klonopin (which is how I usually take it).  I think antacids are what one really needs to take apart from Klonopin (by at least a few hours).

At any rate, I've had no problems at all taking my PPI's with Klonopin.

Hope this helps.