My story/introduction

[li...]

I was on what I thought was  a relatively low dose of oxazepam(SERAX) app 15mg/day for about 15 years. Due to various problem, up dosed to 60mgs. After trying to quit cold turkey I realised I was hooked. Withdrawal was so terrible. With some help started a slow taper, starting with 20mgs valium. Completed after about 6months. (Jan 2010) 

Unfortunately during the taper started to drink more alcohol than normal(about 12units most days). Didn't realise my body was trying to compensate for the lack of benzo. After the taper, carried on drinking for 5months. Feeling bad but not realising I was going in and out of withdrawal. Stopped drinking June 2010. Ten days later full-blown withdrawal symptoms Tinnitus, DP/DR, muscle pains, blurred vision, head pressure, insomnia, tiredness, deep depression etc. Complete panic.

It's now 20 months since last drink. 25 months since last benzo. It's still a tough ride still. Had periods when I though I was recovering, only to be hit with new or returning symptoms. Some things are better and I get by but I'm a long way off being cured. 

liosnasi,

Hello and welcome to Benzo Buddies.

Congrats. on being off the Benzo's and your sobriety.

All that you described sound like withdrawal symptoms'.

You will find plenty of support here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Billy.

Hey Billy,

Many thanks for the welcome. I see you've been benzo free roughly the same amount of time me. I'm still finding it very tough with some improvements and many set backs. Interested to know how you're getting on. I know we're all different but let me get started on this site with some contact. I'm pretty worn out at the moment. Need to hear something... anything to get a bit of reassurance.

Help. I've repiled on the wrong thread. (above)  As you can see I'm brand new to this. And almost completely useless on the computer. Sorry.

Will move the message to my thread.

Hey Billy,

Many thanks for the welcome. I see you've been benzo free roughly the same amount of time me. I'm still finding it very tough with some improvements and many set backs. Interested to know how you're getting on. I know we're all different but let me get started on this site with some contact. I'm pretty worn out at the moment. Need to hear something... anything to get a bit of reassurance.

I sent this message to the wrong thread earlier. Made the change. Off to a great start. 

Help. I've repiled on the wrong thread. (above)  As you can see I'm brand new to this. And almost completely useless on the computer. Sorry.

Will move the message to my thread.

No, no lol - you are okay.

I will have it moved to your intro.

Billy.

~Needs to be merged

Hey Billy,

I sent this message to the wrong thread earlier. Made the change. Off to a great start.

liosnasi,

How long were you on the Benzo? What Benzo?

I have good days and bad days. Overall; I have made some good progress. I know this process is for the pits. You just have to hang in there, know everything will be okay.

There are Success Stories here you can read. I have been on this forum since Aug. of 2010 and I have seen many come and go with complete healing. This is just a time in our lives where we have to stay focused on the positives. I remind myself why I got off the Benzo. It is no easy task, but we'll get there!  :thumbsup:

Billy.

Also - If you can add a signature -

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.0  :)

I was on what I thought was  a relatively low dose of oxazepam(SERAX) app 15mg/day for about 15 years. Due to various problem, up dosed to 60mgs. After trying to quit cold turkey I realised I was hooked. Withdrawal was so terrible. With some help started a slow taper, starting with 20mgs valium. Completed after about 6months. (Jan 2010). Thing was, towards the end of the taper I started drinking far more than I usuall did not realisisng the close connection between booze and benzos and that I was merely substituting booze for benzos. When I stopped drinking the w/d really kicked in. All sorts of symptoms which persist till now. I'm hopeful some of the time and down at other times when symptoms pop up from nowhere. I just keep my head down and press on in the knowledge that this thing will eventually stop. That's what I tell myself anyway. 

I was on what I thought was  a relatively low dose of oxazepam(SERAX) app 15mg/day for about 15 years. Due to various problem, up dosed to 60mgs. After trying to quit cold turkey I realised I was hooked. Withdrawal was so terrible. With some help started a slow taper, starting with 20mgs valium. Completed after about 6months. (Jan 2010). Thing was, towards the end of the taper I started drinking far more than I usuall did not realisisng the close connection between booze and benzos and that I was merely substituting booze for benzos. When I stopped drinking the w/d really kicked in. All sorts of symptoms which persist till now. I'm hopeful some of the time and down at other times when symptoms pop up from nowhere. I just keep my head down and press on in the knowledge that this thing will eventually stop. That's what I tell myself anyway.

Yeah, the booze and Benzo don't mix. I was on Klonopin when this happened. I was drinking over it and didn't know any better. I asked a Pharmacist, "Would it be fine to have a few drinks?" He replied, "Yes". I did not know any better and he should have known better, when the bottle he was handing me was labeled, "Do not use Alcohol with this medication. Alcohol can intensify the effect." I think I actually nearly died a few times from blackouts at a friend's house. These withdrawals will go. I just hang in here. I say it feels good to be sober and free from the poison including alcohol.

Billy.