Benefits of Agoraphobia

[pr...]

So, I'm stuck in my house tonight due to an attack of agoraphobia, which has placed an invisible barrier at the front door.  Kind of like one of those electric fence things for dogs, except there's no collar and it's ALL IN MY HEAD.

I do need to go to the store and buy some celery and refill my water jugs, but it's going to take me a while to build up the courage, because apparently my central nervous system is expecting there to be bears and tigers and possibly a meteor strike or two between here and there.

So since I'm stuck here,  I thought I'd look on the bright side.  After all, agoraphobia has its silver lining, right?

1.  Washing dishes? Real entertainment value.  Pop an audiotape in the player and an hour or two later the kitchen is squeaky clean.

2.  Count your blessings.  "Be grateful you have a roof over your head" takes on a whole new meaning. 

3.  Adventure, excitement, thrills, without having to travel long distances or climb the Himalayas.  Approach the door! Reach for the doorknob! Open the door! Step out onto the front porch! Whew! enough thrills for one night.  Go back inside and catch your breath.

4.  Develop a whole new appreciation for the subtle nuances of social interactions between the fish in your fish tank.  Who knew?

5.  Count your blessings #2:  Netflix. 

Okay, writing this has been just too exciting.  I have to go pace from one end of my apartment to the other now.

Dear Prhiannon,

Excellent observations and worthy of me jotting down in preparation for the next attack!  I hope you are able to get out and about to get your celery and water.  :)Many Hugs, KL

Can you put one foot out the door and test the waters? Push through those fears and see how far you can get out the door?

So sorry you got hit with this. It is no fun, I know.

-The new title of "the Wizard"...  as in "Nobody gets in to see the Wizard.  Not nobody, not no how!" 

-Water saved from showering and laundering clothes less frequently.  These sweats can be worn for days!  Who cares!

-Foot health.  No need to wear uncomfortable shoes when you can live in your slippers.

-Me time.  I'm banking it up. 

Loving this thread!  :thumbsup:

Is this ever true!  Glad you guys can laugh about it!  So do I, when I can, but since my last cut I feel like a tiger in a small cage.  Yesterday my husband was sick so I went out by myself to pick up some meds, get sick stuff for him, etc.  When I got home I was panting hard, freaking out, and had to crawl under the covers for awhile to get back to normal.

Put on new sweats today after my shower, but I'm wearing the same old slippers  :laugh:

number 6:  The cats are very happy with this state of affairs..."you don't need to go out mommy except to the store to get cat food, otherwise you should just slink around and get startled easily like us!"

number 7 (as you can see P I am totally agora!):  Support for delivery people!  Bring on the pizza guys and chinese delivery people!  They are low paid and need a big tip!  They need our support!

I couldnt put my shoes on, i would start to shake and sweat i had to get back in my slippers.

BENEFIT for me: I suffer with IBS so i didnt have to queue or sometimes run :laugh: for the toilet (restroom)

I've saved so much money on hair cuts, make up, clothes, gas.  I have out a few restaurants and bars out of business I think!  :laugh:

ugh im 3 months in... i cant stand it my house is spotless, ive repainted the kitchen cabinets, sanded and woodfinished my coffee table, started and finished 3 video games, finished a puzzle, started growing flowers and herbs inside, rearranged my room, brought a load of crap online and have completely neglected my car to the point last time i looked it was dusty! :C i cut my bangs myself but i am dying to get an actual haircut and all my sweatpants are so worn out ha... i am jealous of your positivity im so restless to get out.

ugh im 3 months in... i cant stand it my house is spotless, ive repainted the kitchen cabinets, sanded and woodfinished my coffee table, started and finished 3 video games, finished a puzzle, started growing flowers and herbs inside, rearranged my room, brought a load of crap online and have completely neglected my car to the point last time i looked it was dusty! :C i cut my bangs myself but i am dying to get an actual haircut and all my sweatpants are so worn out ha... i am jealous of your positivity im so restless to get out.

Kat,

Geez girl!!  That is awesome!  Wish you could come to my house.  And could you bring a pizza cause I'm scared of the doorbell/delivery guys!  ;)  Good for you for making productive use of your time at home.  :thumbsup: 

Hope you are doing okay.  This WILL pass!!! 

LOL!

Sheesh...I wish I did something constructive with my time...I just sit on the computer and obsess.

ah, I sit on the computer and obscess too.  Spend an inordinate amount of time reading benzobuddies posts and blogs. 

Hey Magrita...have you read "panic to power", lucinda bassett...she had IBS too!  And yes, I also spend a lot of time reading about agora and panic and never, never following the advice in the books. 

Katosaurus, welcome back, I haven't seen you on the boards lately. 

If only the physical symptoms would GO AWAY...I could handle going out with just mental panic ....