I need to get off these demonic tablets

[Ih...]

I am 25 and was diagnosed with schizo-affective around age 18. They put me on Klonopin for anxiety a few years ago. It is terrible!!! PURE HELL!!! How do I get off this??? I can't live like this. The doctor's treat me like I'm a dumb animal and that it's all in my head. How do I taper off? I would rather go cold turkey but I get horrible anxiety and aggressive thoughts. What do I do? I'm trying to detox with echinacea and camomille tea for anxiety. Maybe trying a water or juice fast. How long will it take to get off 2 mg of Klonopin when you are not addicted?

Hi Ihatebenzos,

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. It's never a good idea to cold turkey a benzo, it can be dangerous. If you've been on 2mg of Klonopin for any length of time, your body is addicted to it. It's good to do a slow taper and it's suggested to taper at a rate of about 10% every two weeks or so. It's important to listen to your body while tapering, as everyone is a little different.

I would suggest getting a second or third opinion from other doctors, if you feel that the ones you have right now are not listening to your concerns. Let us know if you have questions and welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I just wanted to pop in and say a water or juice fast when detoxing these drugs is not the best idea. Your body will need as much nutrition as it can get. Definitely eat healthy, but don't skimp on the food. When I came off these drugs I couldn't keep food down or eat at all and I can say that made things far worse. You'll want as many nutrients in your body as you can get. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Please read the board posts here, Ihatebenzos. I'm on Klonopin too right now and tapering very very slowly. It's the best and only way to do it, the slower the better. Try not to come off the drug in only a month or so, or even 4-8 weeks. I know it's hard, but think long term. Most ppl who cold turkey the drug, even after taking it for only a few weeks or so  have terrible w/d s/x. I failed a 6 month taper as I went at 7%. Most ppl try to do it at 5%. I am now doing it at 2% because my body and brain cannot handle anything faster as I "kindled" myself thru the years of my use, taking various rescue doses, and updosing and being very cavalier about it. It' not a drug to play around with, especially if you take benzos long-term like I have. The W/D s/x can be terribly severe and can mess you up and put back your recovery for a long time. Just be careful. I know you want off them like "NOW!" but it's better to read what others have been thru and be careful. Thanks, and I wish you hope for your journey.

Christine