Author Topic: GERD, acid reflux and benzo w/d  (Read 3804 times)

[Buddie]

GERD, acid reflux and benzo w/d
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »
This has been driving me CRAZY lately. My main symptom left from valium withdrawal seems to be GI related but how is this possible? How can benzo w/d cause GERD or acid reflux? I know that there is a muscle that separates the stomach from the esophagus so maybe that's how? Not sure.

I never had problems with acid reflux before benzos. I have a constant belching feeling every day, almost all day long now. This feeling causes my heart to seem like its pounding sometimes and I feel like it's about to give out if I move around too much. Does anyone else have issues with a belching feeling like this?

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: GERD, acid reflux and benzo w/d
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:51:12 pm »
My stomach took a hit from the benzos.. I thought it was just my stomach.. I think the receptors get messed up in our stomachs or something.. this will surely desolve itself out as time goes.. y'know?

[...].
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:55:49 pm »
It was my most lasting sx.  I have a hiatal hernia.  I don't know if it was there before w/d, but it got really bad afterward.  I think it has to do with the muscle dysfunction caused by benzos.  My diaphragm seemed very week and very tense, and that is the muscle that helps keep your stomach down where it belongs.  Stress and B vitamin deficiency are both factors that play into a hiatal hernia. 

Some chiropractors know how to adjust a hernia, but it will keep coming back unless you address the reason why it happened in the first place.  I had mine adjusted (huge relief), but it just went right back up that same night.  I'm now trying to resolve my vitamin B deficiency issue in hopes that it will help heal the hernia.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:21 pm »
Hi, I have a feeling of tightness in my chest and being unable to take a deep satisfying breathe but along with that comes some GERD and beltching, I have had this on and off for years and it has recently flared up since I c/t off  the Ativan, I used to think it was not related to benzos but I am almost positive now it is either a symptom of anxiety or benzo related , it is my worst symptom, well that and insomnia. [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:07:59 pm »
Hi, I have a feeling of tightness in my chest and being unable to take a deep satisfying breathe but along with that comes some GERD and beltching, I have had this on and off for years and it has recently flared up since I c/t off  the Ativan, I used to think it was not related to benzos but I am almost positive now it is either a symptom of anxiety or benzo related , it is my worst symptom, well that and insomnia. [...]

The breathing problem is definitely related to the GERD.  The diaphragm is responsible for being able to take a deep breath as well as keeping your stomach in place. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:08:38 pm »
I am feeling a burning pain that is heartburn, I guess.  I feel it from the top part of my stomach, or right where my heart is located.  It has been waking me up.  I had a lot of problem after my c/t....and at different times after I reinstated, and tapered.   I'm also having IBS symptoms.  I noticed a lot of spasms when this bout started, along with bloating and gas in my stomach.
One thing I have noticed is how stressed I feel (really for no reason)....and I know that stress aggravates these symptoms.
Are you taking anything for gerd, or reflux ?

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
IMO, the most important thing NOT to do if you have GERD is to take something like Prilosec or Zantac.  This will increase your risk of nutritional problems and stomach cancer because it will decrease stomach acid, and you NEED stomach acid, now more than ever.  The key is to get the stomach down where it belongs and strengthen the diaphragm and cardiac sphincter, which is what is responsible for keeping the stomach closed while it's digesting food. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:27:07 pm »
Are you taking anything for gerd, or reflux ?

I'm not. I tried some apple cider vinegar and that seemed to help for about a few minutes. I think I'm going to try and avoid certain foods and see if that helps. Fruit juices seem to really bother me.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:31 pm »
I've been taking little bites of tums, for quite a while.   I got off prilosec, and tagamet...because I thought it was making me worse.  How do you get the stomach down, and strengthen the diaphragm and cardiac sphincter ?  Deep breathing ?  I do some of that....but probably not enough.

I think this stressed feeling is causing more acid production, so what in the world do you do about that ?  The burning pain then probably is causing me some anxiety. ::)   I eat a bland diet. :-\

I tried apple cider vinegar, but it seems to cause burning.  I think that I read at Mayo clinic, that it causes heartburn for some people.  I tried honey, too....which helped a little.   :-\   Drink plenty of water !  There are so many natural remedies out there.   DGL seems to be reccomended a lot, but I can't find it here where I live.  Chamomile, and Ginger teas.  From what I read, eating more alkaline foods help...and I was already doing a lot of that.   

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:42 pm »
I've been taking little bites of tums, for quite a while.   I got off prilosec, and tagamet...because I thought it was making me worse.  How do you get the stomach down, and strengthen the diaphragm and cardiac sphincter ?  Deep breathing ?  I do some of that....but probably not enough.

I think this stressed feeling is causing more acid production, so what in the world do you do about that ?  The burning pain then probably is causing me some anxiety. ::)   I eat a bland diet. :-\

I tried apple cider vinegar, but it seems to cause burning.  I think that I read at Mayo clinic, that it causes heartburn for some people.  I tried honey, too....which helped a little.   :-\   Drink plenty of water !  There are so many natural remedies out there.   DGL seems to be reccomended a lot, but I can't find it here where I live.  Chamomile, and Ginger teas.  From what I read, eating more alkaline foods help...and I was already doing a lot of that.   

Well, I'm no expert.  But I read of one woman who was able to heal her stomach by doing a gall bladder flush and getting regular acupuncture.  There was another one who healed hers by getting the hernia adjusted by a chiropractor on a regular basis while at the same time on a special diet.  I think the gallbladder is sort of a key.  And like a mentioned before, correcting any B12 deficiency would be important too. 

I haven't done much to heal mine yet except for the B12.  Maybe when I can afford it I'll try to find someone to help me with it.