Anyone tried hydroxyzine HCl

[mi...]

yes and I found it helpful.  It's a prescription antihistimine and is the active ingrediant in the OTC antihistamine Zyrtec.  It is typically prescribed for itching but contains anti anxiety properties.  Some here use it for sleep but it was never strong enough to help me sleep, but did minimize some w/d s/x associated to anxiety.  There are a few here who didn't respond well to it, but it appears more did respond ok to it.  From my understanding, (for what that's worth)  it's a fairly safe (as drugs go lol), non-addictive drug.

The OTC is extended release so it releases much slower and doesn't have the same level of effect that hydroxyzine does.  It's also not as potent.  It's similar in concept to Benadryl in that it's an antihistamine, but the active ingrediants are different. 

my experience with hydroxyzine was pretty much the same as wisewoman's.  It helped some in the past but not as much as it was cooked up to be in going off of xanax.  ;) Reminds me that this is not the first time, second time, or third time that  I have come off of benzo's. 

What's amazing about this forum is that everywhere I turn its like hey there, there's another one I know about or have gone through.  I hope I stay off.  Hydroxyzine HCL is a non addicting antihistamine-I was told this--and it appears to be the case--so it didn't get me going on another addiction but I found myself just taking it hoping it would do something--I don't think it did.

Peace,

Bob 60