Tongue feels like it's been burned with hot coffee...

[Ti...]

Me too.  It does "move around" though--it was initially in the back half, now at the tip.  So bizarre.  I wish I could accept these symptoms and not get all worked up over them.  I mean, I am a slightly anxious person to begin with, and now my GABA is down-regulated and I'm expected to go through this scary time in my life with all these symptoms and somehow cope with it.  Ahhhhhh!!

My tongue is much better now but it isnt healed completely, in fact it never does.  I fine the tongue waxes and wanes with the severity of the withdrawal symptoms...

Bumbo--When did you jump off or are you still tapering?  I didn't see a signature.  It is getting better though??  As long as it's moving in the right direction you should be healed eventually.  I can't imagine this will be permanent.  I have to think positive.  Thanks for your reply.  :)

Hi TinaCA,

Srry, I need to put my taper in my sig...but yeah, I'm still tapering.  I am currently on 1/16 mg (xanax) morning and 2/16mg evening.  I have been reducing by 1/16 mg every week for about two months now.  My last cut should be Sunday 2/12/12, unless I need to hold for some reason...  I am looking forward to being Xanax free, VERY SOON!!

Wow. I have finally found someone else who has this symptom. It was my first sx and i still have it. Around mid day my tongue starts getting numb all across the surface and continues until I go to bed. It does feel like it has been scalded by a hot drink and it also burns.  For at least the first 6 months it was unbearable. I had to wear a mouth piece on my bottom teeth because it was like I was sucking on the right side of my tongue.  It was scolloped with teeth marks on the side. I would say this sx has gotten about 75 percent better.  Just waiting for the day is sx goes away. I guess it just takes time. Hang in there!

I really appreciate all the replies.  Leighjay--I guess that given you are not a year out yet and the burning is 75% better, that is positive news!  I wish it got better quicker for you, but I'm sure that with time, it will.  That seems to be the trend since I've been researching this topic like a madwoman.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this is getting annoying for me.

Iihave had this horrible tongue burned sensation for weeks now.

I am currently (per my sig) on 1/16 mg Xanax 2xdaily.  I have been on this level of Xanax for about 5 weeks now.  I am getting REALLY sick of this symptom.  Does anyone have a suggestion to make it ease up a bit???

Thanks in advance...

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad I found this thread!  I've been worried half to death about my burning tongue, thinking I was allergic to the medication.  I've had so many mouth/face symptoms this time.  I don't remember having any of this before during my CT off Xanax.  Sometimes my lips will burn too.  It gets worse when I eat, which doesn't help the weight loss problem. 

I found that I do have some problems with thrush, so gargling with diluted hydrogen peroxide seems to have helped a little.  I also swish with cream of tarter in warm water.  I drink it too because it helps the burning stomach as well (it's an antacid). 

This sx was one of the worst for me. It was everyday for 9 solid months. Burning, dry patches, metallic taste and the sides looked like they were chewed off. Finally in the 9th month I woke up and it was gone!! It went back to a nice pink color and the dry patches were gone and I have only had a slight burning a couple of times in the last few months. Very annoying and worry some sx I know I searched every thread I could on here trying to find some comfort so I hope you and every one else finds some relief soon. Take care

Firefly: I'm glad your tongue symptoms have abated.  I had pretty much the same symptoms you listed.  Mostly gone now, thankfully.  The sides of my tongue still have a scalloped appearence, though.  I wonder if this is what you meant when you said "the sides looked like they were chewed off."?  If so, has that gotten better too?  I'm grateful that this stuff eventually runs its course.  Good luck to you and your recovery.

I hope everyone is finding some relief. It has been a couple of months since I posted about this topic. My tongue and mouth are feeling much better. I wish I could say it was completely gone but it isn't. I seem to feel it more at night.....maybe because I am tired?  But in the morning I barely notice it at all.

The only relief I ever had during my worst symptoms was at night when I put my mouth piece in at bedtime. That prevented me from sucking on my tongue and actually had some healing time......only to put up with the burning scolloped tongue the next day and the next......  I sleep with a mouth piece because I am a grinder. You may want to try using one. Best of luck and never give up!