Tongue feels like it's been burned with hot coffee...

[Ti...]

This is absoutely nuts--now I woke up this morning and my tongue (mostly the back half) feels like it's been burned with hot coffee.  Please tell me this is w/d and that it will go away :(

yeah, the tongue one is unfortunately fairly common.  A lot of people will also complain of a metalic taste.  I'm very lucky that I only had this one for a few days, and it was strangely specifically located on exactly 1/4 of my tongue (back left) and, obviously, it had nothing to do with any sort of actual burn.  It was painful, and fortunately in my case it only lasted one real day in full, and was mostly faded for the next few until it was gone.  I hope yours clears quickly, as well.

:)

Every time I make a cut I get this symptom.  It usually begins on about day 2 or 3 and lasts through day 5, sometimes day 6.  Whenever it goes away (it never fully goes away, more like it subsides) I know that I have "adjusted" to the new cut and I'm ready to make another cut.  Sigh.  I am over this.

I have had this for 10 months. It comes and goes. Mine is the front half of my tongue. And lips too sometimes.

it hurts, but is not dangerous.  I hope both of our tongues feel better soon!

I have had this symptom for going on a year now.  Sometimes it's the front, sometimes the back.  When it's the front, the taste buds look irritated.  Overall my sense of taste is greatly diminished.  The sides of my tongue also have a scalloped appearance.  I think this is partially responsible for my weight loss.  Food loses its taste quickly and I stop eating after a few bites.

Joe

sorry to hear you have this too. When mine flares up I know I am headed into a wave.

You were on Klon a long time too. I hope you bounce back quickly.

ive never had the tongue problem, but i have had genital burning. it only lasted about two or three days, but was really really intense. so much so that i went and saw the doc - and got tested for various things - which of course came back negative.

i had always read about the burning posts on here, but i guess i didnt realize it would be like that. it felt like someone rubbed icy hot on my genitals.

m

Thank you or all your replies.  I am sorry you all have this symptom.  I can't believe some of you are almost a year or a year with this sx!  Sweet G--glad it went away for you.  Did you get it during your taper or after?  I have only been on Ativan for 4 months and 2 of those months I have been tapering--will be done in another month or so.  I started on a small amount .25 mg (equivalent to 2.5 Valium).  I just can't believe that something so tiny is causing all these symptoms.  I really really really really hope this sx passes soon.  It is very disconcerting. :(

For those of you off benzos with this symptom, has it at least improved a little?  Does it come and go or is always there?  I still have it today and now has also moved to the front of my tongue.  I feel it tingle here and there but mostly if just feels like I drank something too hot.

For those of you off benzos with this symptom, has it at least improved a little?  Does it come and go or is always there?  I still have it today and now has also moved to the front of my tongue.  I feel it tingle here and there but mostly if just feels like I drank something too hot.

As I said, I was lucky enough to primarily have it for just one day.  My tongue still hurt for a few days after that, but it was clear that the first day was the main event and the next few were just the aftermath, and then it vanished completely.  Hopefully yours will be fairly short term, too.

Best wishes.

:)

Hi Tina.  Mine both varies in intensity and comes and goes.  I notice it mostly when I am in a wave, otherwise it was slowly improving over time.  AT one point I literally couldn't taste anything but the strongest flavors like wasabi, vinegar and salt.  Hang in there.  It will get better!

Thanks sweet g. I hope so too.

Joe-ok thanks. So it's gotten better for you then. Thank goodness. That's all I needed to hear. These sx freak me out. Especially this new one. Your words gave me encouragement. I hope you continue to improve. Keep us updated!!

I've had this a lot during withdrawal and occasionally before benzos during stressful times. I believe it's just stomach acid that gets up the wrong way and causes irritation. I'm about ready to pop a Prevacid for it. It seems to help.

Not sure if this is your cause, but I noticed that when my symptoms are bad, my tongue hurts horribly...I finally noticed that I was pressing my tongue with great force against the roof of my mouth for hours/days/nights. When I would put my tongue down it would go right back into that position. I figured it was a 'muscle' thing kinda like when I catch myself clenching my fists or teeth through the worst of symptoms. When my symptoms let up, my tongue goes into a 'normal' position and stops hurting.

Hi Alexa--

No it's not a muscle thing--it's just a sensation that I literally just ate soup or coffee that was too hot and now my tongue is all burned up--maybe even sort of "numb".  That's happened to me in my life (after drinking something hot) and then it was fine in a day or so.  This is much more unnerving because I know it's happening at the brain level and doesn't have to do with anything I've consumed.  Luckily, my sense of taste hasn't been affected--it's just an annoying feeling and it hurts.  I'm just gonna assume it goes away...

Thanks,

Tina

I still have this symptom.  4 days now.  Has it gone away for ANYBODY? (other than Sweet G)?  Seems all the burning stuff lasts a long time, even after I'm off the meds :( :( :(

Tina,

I had/have the tongue thing too.  I had it really bad when I first started the Ambien taper.  It lasted for about 3-4 weeks during the first of the taper.  Then it eased up so that I would only get it after a cut in dose.  After a cut, it would last for about 2-3 days and then subside.  Now I get it when I'm having a wave.  Again, it seems to go away after about 2-3 days.

Also as someone else mentioned, it's not my whole tongue.  It's only the left side toward the back.  I have it right now.  Green tea seems to be helping a little.  Since so many others are getting this bizarro symptom, I'm going to have to believe it's withdrawal.  I've never had any sort of tongue problems before.

By the way, when this symptom first appeared for me.  I googled around and found something called "burning tongue syndrome" -- I believe it had something to do with hormones.  There were all sorts of home remedies that people tried....like putting hot sauce on thier tongues.  I am not going to try that.

Thank you Betty.  I have had it non-stop for going on 4 days now.  It's not easing up at all.  I am assuming it's because I did a pretty big/quick cut.  I don't know how to stay calm about these symptoms.  It's my whole tongue and it burns and tingles and feels numb all at the same time.  Thank you for sharing your story.  It helps to know I'm not alone.  How is your Ambien taper going?

Hi Tina,

I had the chronically painful tongue for along time in the early part of my withdrawal and whilst on the drug, it was so bad that I had to suck ice cubes, it burned and pricked all day and night and although there was nothing to see on the tongue ... I am glad to say that it went away after about 18 months or so clear of the drug, and occasionally it will return for a few hours and with much less intensity where before it was non stop 24/7 ... I am now 3 years off and suspect that in time it will ease completely ... hope this helps

Mike

Hey Tina,

Thanks for asking.  I'm almost done with the Ambien taper.  Currently holding at .2 mg.  I would have jumped tonight except that I've been in a panic/anxiety wave since yesterday (as a result the tongue thing is back).  I'm hoping it will ease up tomorrow.  If it does, I'll jump tomorrow night.

Seems like there are more buddies than usual in a wave right now.  Or maybe I'm just thinking that because I am in one.

Hope you are feeling better.  Wishing us all windows....

Betty

Yes, I did notice that.  But it might also be because we are online complaining, right??  The buddies feeling good are out living their lives.  But it does seem like quite a few not feeling well right now :(  Wow, you are so close!!  That is amazing!  I want off this Lorazepam so bad, but it so hard.  I feel awful today and was supposed to do a cut, but will now hold I guess.  I just know with every dose there is more and more damage being done.  But if I get off quicker, I will suffer more, so either way it's not good.  We are really trapped with these benzos.  Please keep me updated on the tongue.  If yours gets better, it gives me hope that mine will let up too :)  I get so worried about all these symptoms...I was 100% healthy before all of this!!

Not sure if it's placebo, but I've had about 3 cups of green tea since 2pm (EST) and my tongue is a little better.  It could also simply be time helping out.

Mike--

Just saw your reply.  Sooooooooo happy your tongue is feeling better.  It really is a distressing symptom.  I'm sorry it took so long, but at least it went away for you!  I still have it 5 days later :(  I am hoping it goes soon...

Tina