Quitting cold turkey against my better judgment

[un...]

Ok I know you aren't supossed to go cold turkey off benzos but I made the choice to do so as I have a DOT exam and had no idea that Klonopin would cause me to fail if only used as a sleep aid.  I was taking 1mg at bedtime for the past 2 years and a few months.  I've been Klonopin free for 3 1/2 days and as might be expected I have numerous symptoms: tired/achy legs, numbness on my forehead, complete inability to sleep, head fog/dizziness, vasoconstriction, goose bumps, mild heat flashes.

I've been waiting 6 years for this job but my head is so messed up I'm not sure I can even do it.  I have a DOT exam probably sometime next week so I'm hoping that perhaps the symptoms will ease somewhat since my dose wasn't too high but only time will tell.

Hi unteagle,

It's very dangerous to go cold turkey off of 1 mg of Klonopin. There is risk for having a seizure. If you are completely out of your Klonopin I suggest you go to an urgent care or ER and explain your situation that you'd like to taper off of it. We're here to help you, but please don't cold turkey. You are also more likely to have a protracted withdrawal from stopping a benzo abruptly. Let us know if you have any questions, we're here for you.

Hi unteagle,

I did a cold turkey a year ago, and believe me it was pure torture.  I am still having some withdrawal symptoms.  I realize now if I would have tapered, I am sure I would have healed a lot sooner.

You have to do what you have to do, but watch out for seizures.  We are all so different, maybe you will be lucky and not get hit too hard.

Take care

Hi unteagle. I CT'd off of Ativan less than 2 months ago And I can tell you I would'nt wish it on anybody. I literally lost my mind for a few days at one point. I guess they call it psychosis. I had no idea of the dangers or the hell that was in store for me or I would'nt have done it. I'm almost 2 months out and doing fairly well but I consider myself VERY lucky.

That may not happen to you but you should be aware of the possibilities. Good luck and my thoughts are definitely with you.

Michael

I hope your ok..

I did a C/T not knowing what I was doing was a bad thing..

Had I known I would have definitly done a very very slow taper.

I had by day 6 50 plus sxs and what I had to go through was absolute Horror...

I believe some people have a easier go at it and maybe this wont be as bad for you..Just listen to your body and if your feeling the syptoms start to become severe.. I would consider a possible reinstatement ..C/T can be a grewling and long process ..hang in and just know whatever you decide its doable.. I am now 20 months free and at 15 months I was healed ...

~Jenny

Thanks for the replies.  Two questions.  So a crossover is harder than a regular taper?  I don't care about time.  I have 2 years until i have to redo my DOT test.  That is if I make it that long.  My main concern is minimizing withdrawal and mainly just mental fog and confusion as I want to be able  to drive.

And how long will I be at risk of seizures for. I didn't realize I was at risk from such a low dose but I guess I am. Just a week or so.....?  Or longer.  Im on day 4. 

Thanks for the replies.  Two questions.  So a crossover is harder than a regular taper?  I don't care about time.  I have 2 years until i have to redo my DOT test.  That is if I make it that long.  My main concern is minimizing withdrawal and mainly just mental fog and confusion as I want to be able  to drive.

And how long will I be at risk of seizures for. I didn't realize I was at risk from such a low dose but I guess I am. Just a week or so.....?  Or longer.  Im on day 4.

Hi unteagle,

Although 1mg of Klonopin doesn't sound like much--it's a potent benzo, so yes, abruptly stopping 1mg is not advised at all.

1 mg of Klonopin = 20 mg of Valium

Cross-overs are easier for some people to do as Valium is longer acting than most benzos and easier to taper from. You might want to check out our taper sections. Some people taper straight from Klonopin--the most important thing is to go slow and listen to your body.

You could probably be at risk for seizure for several weeks. I don't mean to be an alarmist--it's just that it can vary from person to person. We'll be here for you to answer your questions. I'm glad you're rethinking this.

thanks SOOOO MUCH for your reply.  It's not that i'm rethink it.  It's that I have a DOT physical in a week that I will fail if I don't get the K out of my system.  My doctor told me it wouldn't be a problem but the DOT doctor told me I will fail.

So if say I don't die in the next 1-2 weeks which is how long it will be until I do the test, What dosage would I go back to.  All the way to 1mg since i'm in shock, or 1.25mg to stabalize? or .75mg. 

thanks SOOOO MUCH for your reply.  It's not that i'm rethink it.  It's that I have a DOT physical in a week that I will fail if I don't get the K out of my system.  My doctor told me it wouldn't be a problem but the DOT doctor told me I will fail.

So if say I don't die in the next 1-2 weeks which is how long it will be until I do the test, What dosage would I go back to.  All the way to 1mg since i'm in shock, or 1.25mg to stabalize? or .75mg.

Hi unteagle,

Still, I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but cold turkeying 1mg of Klonopin, you most likely will be feeling ill at the time of your DOT test, so I still think it's a bad idea to stop it abruptly. If you do cold turkey (c/t) and go back on Klonopin, it's best to go back to the amount you were on. I can't tell you what to do, but if it were me I would not quit abruptly. You can call a pharmacist and ask them what possible withdrawal symptoms you could have from c/t'ing 1mg of Klonopin and see what they say.

I don't care if I feel like crap at my DOT test.  I just want to pass it.  It will be another week to two after that, when I have to drive so I can reinstate and develop a tapering plan and possibly fight through this.  I doubt it, but as of now that is the plan. 

I already had to quit my other jobs to go full time driving.  I'll be in financial ruin if I don't get this job.  Ive waitied for 6 years because of a DWI that disqualified me and then a wreck I had. I am so mad because I never abused K one time and now I look like an addict to all my friends and family.

I have dealt with ssri withdrawal b4 and must say this is far worse and the ssri withdrawal was pretty damn brutal. 

I don't care if I feel like crap at my DOT test.  I just want to pass it.  It will be another week to two after that, when I have to drive so I can reinstate and develop a tapering plan and possibly fight through this.  I doubt it, but as of now that is the plan. 

I already had to quit my other jobs to go full time driving.  I'll be in financial ruin if I don't get this job.  Ive waitied for 6 years because of a DWI that disqualified me and then a wreck I had. I am so mad because I never abused K one time and now I look like an addict to all my friends and family.

I have dealt with ssri withdrawal b4 and must say this is far worse and the ssri withdrawal was pretty damn brutal.

Hi unteagle,

I'm sorry you're so frustrated with your test and a job, I understand how you feel. I've gone through some rocky times myself. Do you think you could postpone your test for another few weeks and do a taper. Mostly it's best to do a slow taper, but a fast taper is far preferable to a cold turkey. I'm just trying to help you strategize about what would be the healthier way to go about this.

Benzo withdrawal is difficult, and it is upsetting when you don't abuse a benzo and still have to go through withdrawal, I hope you can get your family and friends to understand about benzos. There's a good book that helps explain benzos, it's called Benzo Wise.

Get back on the klonopin.

Cold turkey is a recipe for disaster.  The symptoms are nothing compared TO DEATH!  Realize that you have put yourself at a VERY REAL RISK OF SEIZURE AND DEATH.

My advice above is based on long and hard trial and error.  I have been getting off of 4 mg klonopin and 4 mg xanax / day and it has taken me two years.  This is not something you should take lightly. 

Please prioritize your life.  A job is a job.  You can get another one.  I am not downplaying your desire to pass your DOT exam, I am making your life and your health the main priority here.

I hope you listen to everyone above me who said to reinstate and deal with a slow taper.  Unless you want to live in pure hell or possibly die from a stroke or a seizure, get back on the Klonopin for your own good.

I wish you all the best.

Bumbo

• Popular Now

• [Lo...]