muscle and joint pain

[rs...]

Just wanted to touch base on muscle and joint pain to see how many people experience this. Over the last few months of w/d I've noticed not only extreme joint tenderness but I've actually been pulling and tearing muscles just doing normal things like walking down the steps. I've always been a very physical person and enjoyed heavy physical sports like surfing ,diving and just hard work. Now i can't seem to walk without pulling a muscle. I know benzos cause muscle deterioration and total collapse of the body. I read in the ashton manual that muscle tone returns after you are able to start exercising again. Yesterday I woke at 5:00 a.m. feeling pretty good but i was stretching and the muscles between my shoulder blades popped. I've been in bed two days now with torn muscles in my back. Has anyone else had things like this happen or am i just falling apart? rstud

This is one symptom that I am still very much so having. It's worse when the weather is cold too. The muscle pains I get are in the lower extremities like the legs and rectal area. I never had muscle pains before stopping the Valium.

Hi rstud I to have had awful thigh muscle pains feels like something is tearing them, I have been doing alot of walking which has helped me, they havn't put me in bed but its so painfull, my husband has bought me a battery golf trolley & this has helped me try and gain more normality. It has got a tadge easier but still catches me out again especially with the cold weather.

yup, story of my W/D.  By far my worst symptoms.    It was painful to walk for a while, and I used to injure myself regularly while performing the most simple tasks.  I too used to be very active and exercised regularly.  It does get better though, hang in there.  Mine eased up a couple months ago and is still improving. 

To Rstud and others dealing with chronic muscle pain/inflammation triggered by withdrawal: 

this was my very first and most longlasting symptom. At over two years off I'm finally  getting control of it thru an anti-inflammatory diet. I so wish I had known about this diet long ago and perhaps I wouldn't have suffered as long as I did, my pain continuing to worsen as the months/years passed.

I have a thread going about the diet I am using that has truly been my miracle. I hope it can help others before the pain gets as out of control as it did for me:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44666.0

To Rstud and others dealing with chronic muscle pain/inflammation triggered by withdrawal: 

this was my very first and most longlasting symptom. At over two years off I'm finally  getting control of it thru an anti-inflammatory diet. I so wish I had known about this diet long ago and perhaps I wouldn't have suffered as long as I did, my pain continuing to worsen as the months/years passed.

I have a thread going about the diet I am using that has truly been my miracle. I hope it can help others before the pain gets as out of control as it did for me:

and here is a direct link to the diet I am using:

http://www.wholelifenutrition.net/id16.html

I been off klon 4 quite a while now,and all of a sudden I have this spot in the middle of my back that is very sore to the touch,and the pain is escalating and feels inflammed or somethin,I use ibprofen but it doesn,t help that much,it did help this morning 4 a little while,along with using this smelly muscle rub! I feel like an 80 year old! Seriously! So I know exactly what u mean,I hope this is wd related and nothing serious. Angel

thanks to all of you and "greengirl" for the diet links. I feel like I'm a 80 yo too!! I'm afraid to exert myself because I'll break something. This is such a nasty drug it blows my mind. It put me in the hospital for two weeks in renal failure after surfing last year. The doctors saved my kidneys and told me i had total muscle collapse that flushed proteins through my kidneys. Also causes the body not to want fluids. rstud

let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food"

hippocrates~

I used to feel 80yo, now I feel around 50ish  :laugh:  yet I'm only 27  :-[

As i mentioned earlier, there were times when just walking around my block was too painful for me to handle.  Things have much improved since. 

It's best if you stretch while your muscles are warm to prevent injury, especially during W/D.  Since I no longer exercise, I stretch right after a hot shower.  My muscles are damn tight and often times uncomfortable to stretch, but i do what I can.  Rolling out on a foam or PVC roller has been my favorite activity while in W/D.  No discomfort, yet many benefits.  I hope you feel better soon!

-BB

Hi rstud,

I am so sorry to hear of your recent troubles with torn muscles.  :( It sounds so painful.

How are you doing today?  :) hugs, KL

Benzos are a muscle relaxant so when you stop taking them the muscles get really tight.  I've been in a lot of pain and have to go to massage therapy every week just to function. I haven't torn anything or gotten injured though, thank goodness.  My massage therapist said my body was on "lock down"  All my tightness is from the waist up. Not much in my legs.

Hi rstud,

I am so sorry to hear of your recent troubles with torn muscles.  :( It sounds so painful.

How are you doing today?  :) hugs, KL

hi sweet kl, I'm in a pretty bad wave right now w/ torn muscles in my back. Since I've been benzo free I've had one part of the body after the other break down. My back, my left knee but not my wee knee!!! rstud :laugh:

Keep that sense of humor. It is essential. I've definately learned to laugh at myself..  Ever since I could't figure out how to tie my shoes one day.

Velco - Heck waaayyy too complicated. I opted to go straight to slip-on Crocs.  :laugh:

Now you're talking!  I call that stylin'!!!  ;) KL

For the first year off benzos, my joints sounded like "rice crispies" when I moved. They still hurt at 20 months out, but not as bad.

I believe many people in benzo w/d get misdiagnosed w/ fibromyalgia because the symptoms are similar. I can't find the link again but read somewhere about benzos causing connective tissue damage and tearing of muscles. After the anthrax attacks many people were r/x cipro. Instead of 10 days 30 days and this caused crippling permanent joint and muscle damage. www.earthclinic.com ( fibromyalgia/cures) rstud

I believe many people in benzo w/d get misdiagnosed w/ fibromyalgia because the symptoms are similar. I can't find the link again but read somewhere about benzos causing connective tissue damage and tearing of muscles. After the anthrax attacks many people were r/x cipro. Instead of 10 days 30 days and this caused crippling permanent joint and muscle damage. www.earthclinic.com ( fibromyalgia/cures) rstud

Hi Rstud

The problem with the "fibro" diagnosis is that fibromyalgia is NOT an inflammatory disease. I spent quite a bit of time on fibro forums in the past year and these people are not dealing with inflammation as the root cause of their symptoms, which is why anti-inflammatories (steroids,NSAIDs) are not considered treatments for fibro.  During my time on those fibro forums I did not feel those people's pain, I did not relate to their mindset, their meds, their description of their pain,...and I believe the reason for that is because those people are dealing with pain caused by different issues, NOT inflammatory issues.

Once I found the polymyalgia rheumatiaca (PMR) forums, I knew that I had found the folks that were speaking my language. These people KNEW my pain, my symptoms, my mindset, what helped, what didn't. I'm not saying that those of us in benzo wd who are dealing with longterm chronic pain and stiffness have polymyalgia rheumatica, but I do believe this diagnosis is MUCH more closely related to what we are describing here on the benzo forums than fibromyalgia/. Polymylagia rheumatica is an inflammatory condition of the muscles affecting mostly the neck, shoulders, lower back, and hips.  Unlike fibro, where the pain is  nonspecific to certain areas and tends to move around alot, PMR pain is very much focused on the neck, shoulder, and hip region--pain, inflammation and insane sitffnes...sound familiar??? ???

I believe, from my own and others benzo withdrawal chronic muscle pain experiences, we are dealing with inflammation, systemic inflammation caused by the severity of our withdrawals.  The problem is, standard treatments such as longterm  NSAIds and steroids are harsh for the normal person, and obviously moreso for those having been thru benzo withdrawal.

So what's the good news? There are natural ways, such as the diet I followed, that may very well tackle the inflammation, and possibly even better and faster than drugs can, with obviously fewer/no side effects.

Please, I encourage anyone here dealing with longterm pain issues caused by their withdrawals to read my posts in this thread:

and consider going on this diet strictly for 3-4 weeks.  And also those who are just beginnning their withdrawal to try it as well, to hopefully mitiigate the damagte that the withdrawal is doing to their bodies, long before I did. I just don't want others to suffer as much and as long as I did.  There has been discussion in the past about the inflammatory effects of withdrawal as being at the root of many of the wd symptoms--I so wish I had paid attention to that before and looked harder sooner into what I could do about it thru natural means such as diet, because beleive me I have suffered badly with the pain and due to the increasing pain was getting close to the point of losing everything that I had fought so hard to keep during the first year of my withdrawal., when I finally learned about and started this diet..

GG

Hi Rstud

The problem with the "fibro" diagnosis is that fibromyalgia is NOT an inflammatory disease. I spent quite a bit of time on fibro forums in the past year and these people are not dealing with inflammation as the root cause of their symptoms, which is why anti-inflammatories (steroids,NSAIDs) are not considered treatments for fibro.  During my time on those fibro forums I did not feel those people's pain, I did not relate to their mindset, their meds, their description of their pain,...and I believe the reason for that is because those people are dealing with pain caused by different issues, NOT inflammatory issues.

Once I found the polymyalgia rheumatiaca (PMR) forums, I knew that I had found the folks that were speaking my language. These people KNEW my pain, my symptoms, my mindset, what helped, what didn't. I'm not saying that those of us in benzo wd who are dealing with longterm chronic pain and stiffness have polymyalgia rheumatica, but I do believe this diagnosis is MUCH more closely related to what we are describing here on the benzo forums than fibromyalgia/. Polymylagia rheumatica is an inflammatory condition of the muscles affecting mostly the neck, shoulders, lower back, and hips.  Unlike fibro, where the pain is  nonspecific to certain areas and tends to move around alot, PMR pain is very much focused on the neck, shoulder, and hip region--pain, inflammation and insane sitffnes...sound familiar??? ???

I believe, from my own and others benzo withdrawal chronic muscle pain experiences, we are dealing with inflammation, systemic inflammation caused by the severity of our withdrawals.  The problem is, standard treatments such as longterm  NSAIds and steroids are harsh for the normal person, and obviously moreso for those having been thru benzo withdrawal.

So what's the good news? There are natural ways, such as the diet I followed, that may very well tackle the inflammation, and possibly even better and faster than drugs can, with obviously fewer/no side effects.

Please, I encourage anyone here dealing with longterm pain issues caused by their withdrawals to read my posts in this thread:

and consider going on this diet strictly for 3-4 weeks.  And also those who are just beginnning their withdrawal to try it as well, to hopefully mitiigate the damagte that the withdrawal is doing to their bodies, long before I did. I just don't want others to suffer as much and as long as I did.  There has been discussion in the past about the inflammatory effects of withdrawal as being at the root of many of the wd symptoms--I so wish I had paid attention to that before and looked harder sooner into what I could do about it thru natural means such as diet, because beleive me I have suffered badly with the pain and due to the increasing pain was getting close to the point of losing everything that I had fought so hard to keep during the first year of my withdrawal., when I finally learned about and started this diet..

GG

greengirl, thanks so much for the info, I'm reading about your diet and will give it a try. Are what we're feeling inflamation or is it nerve pain in the muscles and around the joints. When i think of inflamatory disease i think about swelling and fluid around joints. What I feel is not inflamation but tearing of muscles that moves around. A week ago I was stretching and felt something pull in the middle of my back. It has moved around up and down my back and is now shooting pains down my r elbow. It seems to ease up and then bam it's back and hurting worse than ever. This is really weird to me.

It can't ever hurt to diet in benzo w/d and for just personal health. The right diet can cure almost any ailment. PLEASE check out this link www.earthclinic.com  ( ailments/fibromyalgia/cures) and tell me what you think. I have been researching fluoride poisoning in psychotropic drugs. You may really have the cure for this. rstud

Your post sort of scares me. I'm having muscle tension everywhere. I'd hate for it to be kidney issues. This muscle tension is a normal thing, right?

I feel like I'm a 80 yo too!!

Me three!

I feel older, and I think I even look older than when I first started this journey. People have told me I have more gray in my hair.  :(

Your post sort of scares me. I'm having muscle tension everywhere. I'd hate for it to be kidney issues. This muscle tension is a normal thing, right?

Perfectly normal.  I wouldnt worry about a thing.  ;)