Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Very bad day...anxiety,  stomach, stiff sore neck.  Gonna have to slow this taper down and quit being so stubborn.

Hello, Ativan Heroes

Sorry for bombing onto the thread-- I used to read and post here. I have been off of Ativan about two years now. Unfortunately, I injured my lower back recently and of all things my doctor prescribed Prednisone, a steroid. I cannot even begin to describe the agony that brought upon me. I thought I had experienced every bad withdrawal symptom there is, but this was beyond horrible. Please see the last page of my progress log where I posted how steroids act on GABA levels. How I WISH I had known before. I only made it because of grace. So I'm cautioning as many as I can.

Now, the GOOD NEWS: (Before the Steroid nightmare) I started feeling better BEFORE my taper was over, and after I jumped it really wasn't too bad. I wasn't on a very slow gradual taper, either. Just dry-cutting pills into teeny crumbs, so not a smooth way to do it. It wasn't easy to get through it, but I continued in an upward trajectory, punctuated by some bad days here and there, but feeling better and becoming more functional. I felt better than I had even before I was on Ativan. I was on it for 20 years, so I still have some symptoms but they were manageable, and I fully expected to keep improving, since that was what was happening week by week. So, you can taper and jump in a way that is far from ideal and still get to the finish line. It is not all ruination and despair at the end.

Your day is coming sooner than you think!

Hello, Ativan Heroes

Sorry for bombing onto the thread-- I used to read and post here. I have been off of Ativan about two years now. Unfortunately, I injured my lower back recently and of all things my doctor prescribed Prednisone, a steroid. I cannot even begin to describe the agony that brought upon me. I thought I had experienced every bad withdrawal symptom there is, but this was beyond horrible. Please see the last page of my progress log where I posted how steroids act on GABA levels. How I WISH I had known before. I only made it because of grace. So I'm cautioning as many as I can.

Now, the GOOD NEWS: (Before the Steroid nightmare) I started feeling better BEFORE my taper was over, and after I jumped it really wasn't too bad. I wasn't on a very slow gradual taper, either. Just dry-cutting pills into teeny crumbs, so not a smooth way to do it. It wasn't easy to get through it, but I continued in an upward trajectory, punctuated by some bad days here and there, but feeling better and becoming more functional. I felt better than I had even before I was on Ativan. I was on it for 20 years, so I still have some symptoms but they were manageable, and I fully expected to keep improving, since that was what was happening week by week. So, you can taper and jump in a way that is far from ideal and still get to the finish line. It is not all ruination and despair at the end.

Your day is coming sooner than you think!

Thank you for coming on here to warn us about the steroid.  I hope you doing much better after the horror of the prednisone.  I will go read your progress log.

So glad you are benzo free!

Hello BaronessBlixen

I was on the boards when you took your last dose and did see your progress.  Still here buy very close to done

Thank you so much for stopping in to give warning and encourage. It was a steroid shot that got me into this mess in the first place.  It through me into Panic attacks that I had never imagined.  Hopefully this will all pass soon for you. I am so very close to being off and hope to join you  on the side of being benzo free.

I wish you all the best.

Thanks DianeDee. I'm doing a lot better than I was.

Jujubi I remember you! Look at you feeling like yourself again! I think you'll be feeling like your NEW self soon, as well.

Hello All,

I have hit another milestone in all this.  I am under .1 @ .098!  That is the equivalent of under 1 mg valium.  It has been such a long long road.  Some think I have taken way too long and gone too slow.  But I have done this the way my body has told me to and the way God has guided me.

Some of you know that I have not ever set a jumping off date. When Asked I have always said I'll be off when I am off.  I still am reluctant to set a date, but I hope to be off by the end of October.  I have been symptom free for a while now and have sped things up.  I am still being cautious and listening to my body. I have gotten rid of my mid day dose and I have to set an alarm now for my morning dose or I will forget.  I forgot it Thursday and skipped it altogether.  I go through my days thinking very little about Benzo WD. Having to take my doses is an irritating nuisance and not much more.  So I think my body and mind are telling me it is time.

Blessings and Love to you all.  :smitten:

JuJuBi

Hello All,

I have hit another milestone in all this.  I am under .1 @ .098!  That is the equivalent of under 1 mg valium.  It has been such a long long road.  Some think I have taken way too long and gone too slow.  But I have done this the way my body has told me to and the way God has guided me.

Some of you know that I have not ever set a jumping off date. When Asked I have always said I'll be off when I am off.  I still am reluctant to set a date, but I hope to be off by the end of October.  I have been symptom free for a while now and have sped things up.  I am still being cautious and listening to my body. I have gotten rid of my mid day dose and I have to set an alarm now for my morning dose or I will forget.  I forgot it Thursday and skipped it altogether.  I go through my days thinking very little about Benzo WD. Having to take my doses is an irritating nuisance and not much more.  So I think my body and mind are telling me it is time.

Blessings and Love to you all.  :smitten:

JuJuBi

[/quote

congratulations on being under .1 mg that is so awesome.  May God continue to bless you!

I am so very happy for you.

Love and prayers💖🙏💖

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  I haven’t been on for a little while now and thought I would check in..

JuJuBi and BaronessBlixen, so glad you are doing better.

Dianedeedee, sorry to hear you are struggling right now.

I have had a real struggle with my hip and back pain.  It is out of control.  It’s hard to make it through the day.  I was back to the doc about it last week.  I have some pain that is very specific, on one side, so I’m just checking to make sure it’s not it’s own issue, outside of benzo withdrawal.

No answers yet. I actually went to the ER yesterday the pain was so bad.  I should know better because all they do is give temporary relief but I was frantic with pain.

And yes, the doc there was super efficient and ended up giving me an injection of morphine.  It helped stop the worst of the pain  but I’m paying for it today with a horrendous headache.

I am totally losing my mind with this pain.  It used to tamp down a bit in the evening but now it’s not and it’s affecting my sleep in a big way. 

Trying to look beyond and realize one day I’ll look back on all this but at present I’m feeling pretty insane .

Sorry to be such a downer.  I know you guys understand. That’s a huge help.

Hang in there everyone!

2cats

Hi 2cats,

I'm glad you checked in.  I am so sorry about your pain I hope you can get some good answers on what is causing it and there is something that will help. 

These benzos are unrelenting I've been in a wave for 6 or 7 weeks I have lost count. 

I keep praying for all of us.

Hugs and prayers  :smitten:

Hi everyone,

Dianedeedee, I hope you will see some improvements soon. I am holding since the last 2 months and I think it is paying of. A lot less symptoms, I seem to stabilize. It is far then perfect, but at least no more depression. I hope it will continue like this, as I am beginning my summer vacations.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Marie

Hello All

Checking in.  I am getting so close to the end.  I've have been feeling really good. I had a gathering at my house Saturday with 19 people. I did the food prep and all and really enjoyed myself.  It is almost odd to be able to do things like that again.  I am feeling my strength come back. I am working out in the gym at least 4 days a week. 

I've never heard anyone talk about difficulty with getting back to being yourself. It sounds odd but I have known myself as this sick person who struggled to do the smallest things for over 2 years. Now I am getting to know the "well" me again.  Its an odd feeling I can't explain.

Marie I do hope your symptoms have continued to ease and you are enjoying your summer.

Dianedeedee-I continue to pray every day for relief of your symptoms

2cats-I hope you are doing well.

Hugs to you all

JuJuBi

Hi everyone,

Dianedeedee, I hope you will see some improvements soon. I am holding since the last 2 months and I think it is paying of. A lot less symptoms, I seem to stabilize. It is far then perfect, but at least no more depression. I hope it will continue like this, as I am beginning my summer vacations.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Marie

Hi Marie,

Thank you.  I'm so glad the hold has worked for you and I pray it continues.  Enjoy your vacations!!!

Hugs 🤗

Hello All

Checking in.  I am getting so close to the end.  I've have been feeling really good. I had a gathering at my house Saturday with 19 people. I did the food prep and all and really enjoyed myself.  It is almost odd to be able to do things like that again.  I am feeling my strength come back. I am working out in the gym at least 4 days a week. 

I've never heard anyone talk about difficulty with getting back to being yourself. It sounds odd but I have known myself as this sick person who struggled to do the smallest things for over 2 years. Now I am getting to know the "well" me again.  Its an odd feeling I can't explain.

Marie I do hope your symptoms have continued to ease and you are enjoying your summer.

Dianedeedee-I continue to pray every day for relief of your symptoms

2cats-I hope you are doing well.

Hugs to you all

JuJuBi

Hi JuJuBi,

So glad you checked in.  What awesome news you have to report.  You deserve every bit of joy you have suffered along time.  Thank you so very much for praying for me you don't know how much I appreciate them. 

May the Lord continue to bless you. ❤

Hi All,

Well I have decided to hold for awhile.  I have been pushing myself to taper and I am absolutely miserable.  I have never thought that holds helped me much but I have got to do something to try and get some relief.  I'm praying this will work and I can be more functional and my symptoms tolerable.  This journey is so stinking hard!!!

Prayers always🙏🙏🙏

We have to do whatever we have to do to get through this brutal ride. You’ve made it this far Diane, you will get there in the end……no doubt about that! I hope your symptoms ease up a little bit very soon.

Hardy.

Hi All,

Well I have decided to hold for awhile.  I have been pushing myself to taper and I am absolutely miserable.  I have never thought that holds helped me much but I have got to do something to try and get some relief.  I'm praying this will work and I can be more functional and my symptoms tolerable.  This journey is so stinking hard!!!

Prayers always🙏🙏🙏

Oh Diane I’m so sorry you’re having such difficulties.  I was pushing through , too, and having terrible symptoms.  I see we are close to the same dosage.  Maybe this is just a difficult place in our journey. 

We are all rooting for each other and empathizing.  :smitten:

I saw a MyoFacial Release Therapist a couple of days ago to try it for my terrible back and hip pain.  I liked the therapist and her approach.  Not much reaction from first treatment.  Part of the appointment was an evaluation.  I would be happy if the pain was just lessened or more manageable.  It is making me seriously unhinged. 

The huge downsize is that she is terribly expensive and since she’s an independent practitioner, I have to pay upfront submit and to insurance myself.  I’ll let you guys know if she helps at all. 

Everybody hang in there.  We’re in this together.

Hi All,

Prayers always🙏🙏🙏

Oh Diane I’m so sorry you’re having such difficulties.  I was pushing through , too, and having terrible symptoms.  I see we are close to the same dosage.  Maybe this is just a difficult place in our journey. 

We are all rooting for each other and empathizing.  :smitten:

I saw a MyoFacial Release Therapist a couple of days ago to try it for my terrible back and hip pain.  I liked the therapist and her approach.  Not much reaction from first treatment.  Part of the appointment was an evaluation.  I would be happy if the pain was just lessened or more manageable.  It is making me seriously unhinged. 

The huge downsize is that she is terribly expensive and since she’s an independent practitioner, I have to pay upfront submit and to insurance myself.  I’ll let you guys know if she helps at all. 

Everybody hang in there.  We’re in this together.

2cats thank you.  I am hoping and praying this hold helps. 

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time.  I hope the therapist can ease your pain.  I'm sorry it's so expensive I hope your insurance with take care of it.

Yes we have to hang on. 

Hugs to all❤

Dianadeedee and 2cats

I was looking back at my journal and between .45 down to .3 was a really rough time. I had a really hellish wave.  I also noted that at .3 I had my first moment where colors were brighter and I felt much more calm and at ease.  From there things got better. I still had up and downs but window were wider and longer.

I pray that you both have that moment soon and the windows become longer than the waves.

Hugs

JuJuBi

Dianadeedee and 2cats

I was looking back at my journal and between .45 down to .3 was a really rough time. I had a really hellish wave.  I also noted that at .3 I had my first moment where colors were brighter and I felt much more calm and at ease.  From there things got better. I still had up and downs but window were wider and longer.

I pray that you both have that moment soon and the windows become longer than the waves.

Hugs

Yes, thanks so much…… I definitely have experienced the worst ever for the last couple of months.  Sharing your experience has made me a little more hopeful.  :smitten:

JuJuBi

• 3 weeks later...
Got stuck on ativan after horrid long covid insomnia and loss of touch with reality. Planned to taper right away (April) but doc experemted with crossovers that failed. Now in tolerance withdrawal for the last 6 weeks with doctors arguing about if im stable enough to taper. Im not, but the bumped me up to 3 mg right away. I was obviously out of my mind because I've been through very difficult withdrawals two times that took 5 years of my life away. Starting a 5% a month compounded titrated taper where 1.25% a week will be the lowering percentage. Im already feeling horrible and figuring this will be the end of my brain and CNS. Please I know I'm kindled and this triggers a lot of people, but please give me any advice or any hope for anything. I really need support. I was on this forum years ago and I made so many friends and I can't believe the PTSD of this!!!

Good Evening Ativan Warriors,

I'm just popping by randomly to say hi and say you can do it!  You will be successful!  You'll have your life back and Ativan will fade into the past.  At least it did for me.  I finished my 18 month taper off 6mgs. almost exactly two years ago.  If you want to know about my journey, I posted almost every day during my taper.  Benzo buddies, this group in particular, was a tremendous support and life line for me!  It's good to see you all supporting each other here and passing the torch.   

I think it's worth mentioning, a holistic approach which included a low inflammation diet, moderate exercise in nature and minimizing stress seemed to really help.

You will be successful and feel good again!  Keep the faith!

All the best!

Luey