Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Dianedeedee

I cut every two weeks if possible .  I have held a cut for 3 weeks a few times and once for a month. I usually can feel something in 2-3 days although after the last cut seemed to be 5-6 days. I don’t know if that’s because I’m getting so low now or what.  Also recently it has been harder to distinguish much effect from a cut because I feel pretty bad almost constantly.

Hoping to be done by fall and let the healing begin! I hope doing cut and hold gives you a bit more relief!  :smitten:

Hi 2cats,

Thank you.  I am so sorry you feel bad all the time I pretty much do too I know how awful it is.  Right now the cut and hold is feeling worse then the DLMT.  But I had to try looks like I will go back to that after this ordeal.  I'm praying you will be finished with this poison by Fall!  Thank you for the info.

Hugs and prayers ❤

Hi Dianedeedee,

Last year, before my very long hold, I was cutting every 2-3 weeks. I was starting to feel the cut after 48 hours. The peak of symptoms was around 7-10 days after the cut.

For this last cut, I started to feel the cut around Day 5 and I could say that the peak was this past week, so almost 3 weeks after the cut.

FYI, Today was a good day. My symptoms were low and I have been able to function almost normally. I don’t know why, I just woke up like this! I am so glad! I hope it will continue like this!!

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Have a nice weekend!

Marie

Hi Dianedeedee,

Last year, before my very long hold, I was cutting every 2-3 weeks. I was starting to feel the cut after 48 hours. The peak of symptoms was around 7-10 days after the cut.

For this last cut, I started to feel the cut around Day 5 and I could say that the peak was this past week, so almost 3 weeks after the cut.

FYI, Today was a good day. My symptoms were low and I have been able to function almost normally. I don’t know why, I just woke up like this! I am so glad! I hope it will continue like this!!

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Have a nice weekend!

Marie

Hi Marie,

Wow you just never know how this stuff is going to affect us.  I am so happy for you having a good day is awesome.  I hope it continues for you too!!!

Thank you I hope you have a nice weekend too.

🙏🙏🙏

Hi,

You all are on much lower dosages than I am. I am not tapering, so I hope it is OK if I post here. I am on 3 mg per day. I am in tolerance withdrawal-- some withdrawal symptoms staying at the same dose. My doctor does not think I am stable enough to taper.

Every time there is a discontinuation of a manufacturer, I have huge problems. To me it has felt like previous attempts at withdrawal to switch manufacturers.

I was on the Actavis/Watson and thought I was going to have to switch and then found a pharmacy that had more and used them for a month, but it turned out it was just the end of their supply, and it truly is discontinued.

I had to switch to the two days ago Teva and didn't sleep much at all--maybe 2 hours--and I have been having pretty severe symptoms. It feels like being thrust into withdrawal without tapering. I hate to bother my psychiatrist because it always seems like I have issues like this—one thing or another—all long stories.

I knew the change was coming and so I switched before I completely ran out of the old tablets. Taking one of those old ones is the only reason I am able to write right now.

I know this probably isn't the best place to write since you all are in the process of tapering, but I can't find anywhere people post about these experiences. I had the name brand for a while, and honestly it was not as good as the old Mylan, but it was OK. But now I have a new insurance and I don't think they will cover it.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to look for advice or if you all have suggestions on the generics. Again, I know it's not exactly the right place to look.

Hi Marcus, From what I have read, many people have problems when their brand is switched. It happened to me. But I believe that I finally stabilized on the new brand a couple weeks later, although I'm not really sure because I kind of feel awful all the time so  maybe I never did stabilize, who knows... there really isn't much that we can do. We are at the mercy of these Pharma companies and if they decide they are not making a drug anymore,we get screwed.  Try to give it some time and see if you stabilize...

Hi Marcus

I also noticed a difference when I couldn’t get Watson brand anymore but I had the same outlook as gray cloud.  I just figured it would settle after a while and it has to some extent.  I’m thinking my uptick in symptoms is because I am getting so low in dosage now including ditching my midday dose.  Vert noticeable but there isn’t any options.  I can’t hold forever. Hopefully you will settle after a bit.

:)

Marie- I am so glad you had a good day!! Good days are great although they are kind of a two edged sword for me because after having a good day, a bad day seems so much worse in comparison.  I try to look for trends in my symptoms over time but not sure there are any.  ::) I try to remember the good ones!

Thank you all so much for the replies.

I'm concerned because I had to take an extra ativan the last three days now. I feel like I did whenI was on antibiotics before. It feels like it's too much to be from a brand change. I can't describe to my psychiatrist (actually nurse practitioner). She thinks in terms of anxiety or not anxiety, but is that the brain just stops working correctly.

I realized the other change I had made was drastically increasing my usually poor oral hygiene and now wondering if it's from too much fluoride exposure. I have a toothache and bad cavity and have avoided the dentist all throughout COVID and I am honestly usually very bad about brushing. I got gung-ho into this routine I found online where you brush with toothpaste, leave it on, rinse with listerine (the original high potency amber type), then rinse with Act fluoride. And you never rinse with water. My mouth already had so many cuts in it too and was abraded from my obsessive compulsive spitting I have to do and the sides of my mouth were all cut up so I'm sure I absorbed even more fluoride that way. And the whole point of the listerine before the fluoride rinse is to increase absorption of the fluoride--which I now realize it was probably doing in my mucosa too not just the teeth. I went even beyond the instructions and used a lot more listerine and fluoride rinse and then used extra fluoride rinse throughout the day. And my teeth hurt so I was using the high fluoride sensitive toothpaste and letting it sit on my teeth before brushing. And now I've read several places on here that fluoride can cause symptoms. I had always heard it was a neurotoxin but dismissed it. But these symptoms--it's like I took one of the antibiotics that puts me into withdrawal. The only reason i can write right now is having taken an extra Ativan, which is not tenable to continue at all.

I feel like I've been a different person. All the systems of my body have been off. Not sleeping. Not eating. Headaches. Hot and sweaty. High BP and pulse. And difficulty thinking, reading, etc. I honestly could not type before I took the Ativan. I know brands make a difference but for it to be so much. I tried writing to my psychiatrist about the fluoride theory but I know I will sound like a nut.

It is very possible that the fluoride and also the listerine is causing you problems. I stopped using fluoride rinse and also listerine during my taper because I noticed that I was having a bad reaction to them. I still use fluoride  toothpaste and rinse well after. I do not have problems with that.

Maybe try not using the fluoride rinse and listerine for a few days and see if that helps. 

Hello Ativan board,  I am thinking of switching from  dry cutting to using the lorazepam intensol.  I think my scale is not very accurate at these lower doses.  I am not sure how to dilute it with the water. My current dose is .1mg in the morning and .1mg in the evening.  How is this diluted to come up with .1mg.  If I use 1/2 a dropper of the intensol which is 1mg./1ml would the dilution be 9ml water to 1ml of intensol? Not good with Math.

Hello Ativan board,  I am thinking of switching from  dry cutting to using the lorazepam intensol.  I think my scale is not very accurate at these lower doses.  I am not sure how to dilute it with the water. My current dose is .1mg in the morning and .1mg in the evening.  How is this diluted to come up with .1mg.  If I use 1/2 a dropper of the intensol which is 1mg./1ml would the dilution be 9ml water to 1ml of intensol? Not good with Math.

Have you heard anything from Bob7 yet?

Oh I saw on your other post where he had answered.  But like Libertas asked isn't yours 2mg/ml?

Oh I saw on your other post where he had answered.  But like Libertas asked isn't yours 2mg/ml?

I think I'm confused on the breakdown.  My brain fog set in.

Hi Dianedeedee, Yes Bob answered and made it simple for me.  For some reason I had thought the the lorazepam intensol was 2mg./2ml . I have no idea where I got that from.  My brain is such a mess.  But  just to make sure, is it . 2mg./ml ? And it does have a graduated  mark for a dosage of  .5mg.?  Thank you so much for your help!!! :smitten:

Hi Dianedeedee, Yes Bob answered and made it simple for me.  For some reason I had thought the the lorazepam intensol was 2mg./2ml . I have no idea where I got that from.  My brain is such a mess.  But  just to make sure, is it . 2mg./ml ? And it does have a graduated  mark for a dosage of  .5mg.?  Thank you so much for your help!!! :smitten:

Yes the intensol is 2mg per mil and there is a .5 mg on the dropper.

I posted on my blog but thought I would post here also since wr are the Ativan group.

Ok so I think that I know why I am having such a hard time.  I cut almost 5% within 6 weeks which is a lot for me.  I even reduced my buspirone at the same time. 🤦‍♀️  It has been over 2 weeks and I feel like crap it's either ride it out or updose!!!

Any opinions welcomed.

Dianedeedee- I know it is rough but I always opted to ride it out. I knew it would pass.

You know your body and how you are feeling better than anyone.

I hope this wave passes and you get back to a baseline.

Hugs

Dianedeedee,

So sorry you are having such a rough time right now.  I also would try and ride it out but as JuJuBi

said you know yourself and what you can handle. 

I cut out my midday dose 10 days ago and it has been rough but I just can’t stand the idea of updosing.  I was pretty much in bed all day yesterday but today suddenly felt so much better.  You know how suddenly things can change sometimes.

Hope you feel better .

2cats

Hi 2cats,

Thank you I'm trying to hang on praying it let's up soon.  Congratulations on getting rid of that dose so glad today was better praying it continues.

Yep changes are crazy sometimes.

Hugs and prayers 💕

Hi Dianedeedee

I was facing this exact same dilemma 3 weeks ago when I was in the worst of my post reduction wave. I really considered updosing, even if it isn’t usually my habit. But I was feeling so bad. Each day, I was telling myself “I will wait one more day”, and suddenly after 2 weeks of bad symptoms, I woke up feeling really better. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been easy since then, and I still struggle a lot, but I don’t regret my choice.

Have a nice day

Marie

Hi Marie,

Thank you for the encouragement.  It's been three weeks of horrible.  I hope it gets easier for you.  You just never know what to do or what will help.

Hugs💕

Hi Diane DeeDee,

How are you today? I hope you are seeing some improvements.

I am in a very bad place today, I don’t understand why. Okay, maybe

I have a hint. I am starting today my period, so I suppose it could be the cause.

I hope it will clear up a bit soon. Feeling very bad after feeling bad, it’s not funny.

Have a nice day.

Marie

Hi Marie,

I am so sorry today is rough.  It's a shame there has to be added misery on top of misery.

My day isn't good either.

Praying for all of us. ❤

Today has been a horrid day my anxiety is through the roof!  I just don't know what to do.  After I made the 3% cut of the benzo and buspirone it hit me within 3 days.  I held for 3 1/2 weeks then started my benzo taper back DLMT very slow 4 days tapering 3 days hold today is my third day.  This is awful.😥