Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Everyone,

I finished my taper 2/18/21 and wanted to drop in and say hi and offer some encouragement. I'm doing well right now and I feel like I have seriously turned a corner. I still have some lingering symptoms, but they are much, much, much less severe. Praise the Lord. I am even having some days when I feel completely healed.

The symptoms that are still lingering are tinnitus , insomnia, and muscle pain. I have been working out doing posture and strength training every day so that explains the muscle pain. I have to be careful not to overdo it. The tinnitus was at one time really scary for me, but it is getting so much better, and is now mild to moderate and intermittent. I still have insomnia, and wake up fully about two times every night. Unbelievably this is much better than it used to be. I am getting some solid blocks of really good sleep on many nights, and occasionally sleep later in the morning.

Last year was brutal, but I have to say that God was with me through the whole journey. He is absolutely restoring all aspects of my life - mentally, physically, emotionally and relationally, and even materially. He is restoring the years the locusts have eaten.  I do believe that "those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy" (psalms 126:5).

Friends if you are here, then I assume that you also have "planted in tears." I am living proof that we do get better with time. I am truly healing and becoming a healthier person than I was when I first started benzos, and so much healthier than I was when I was tapering.

You may wonder why you don't hear more success stories. I know why. When we are feeling good, we don't think about logging in. It begins with a few hours that we are not thinking about our symptoms, and then its a few days, and then it's been a few weeks, or months since we've checked in. It is because we are healing.

I pray often for everyone here and ask God to have mercy on all of us. I'm rooting for everyone.

Keep going - it's so worth it,

Bibs Jo

Hi Everyone,

I finished my taper 2/18/21 and wanted to drop in and say hi and offer some encouragement. I'm doing well right now and I feel like I have seriously turned a corner. I still have some lingering symptoms, but they are much, much, much less severe. Praise the Lord. I am even having some days when I feel completely healed.

The symptoms that are still lingering are tinnitus , insomnia, and muscle pain. I have been working out doing posture and strength training every day so that explains the muscle pain. I have to be careful not to overdo it. The tinnitus was at one time really scary for me, but it is getting so much better, and is now mild to moderate and intermittent. I still have insomnia, and wake up fully about two times every night. Unbelievably this is much better than it used to be. I am getting some solid blocks of really good sleep on many nights, and occasionally sleep later in the morning.

Last year was brutal, but I have to say that God was with me through the whole journey. He is absolutely restoring all aspects of my life - mentally, physically, emotionally and relationally, and even materially. He is restoring the years the locusts have eaten.  I do believe that "those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy" (psalms 126:5).

Friends if you are here, then I assume that you also have "planted in tears." I am living proof that we do get better with time. I am truly healing and becoming a healthier person than I was when I first started benzos, and so much healthier than I was when I was tapering.

You may wonder why you don't hear more success stories. I know why. When we are feeling good, we don't think about logging in. It begins with a few hours that we are not thinking about our symptoms, and then its a few days, and then it's been a few weeks, or months since we've checked in. It is because we are healing.

I pray often for everyone here and ask God to have mercy on all of us. I'm rooting for everyone.

Keep going - it's so worth it,

Bibs Jo

Bibsjo, so very happy for you!  You sound wonderful so encouraging.  Yes if it weren't for the Lord I don't know how I would keep going.  May He continue to bless you.  Thank for your prayers!

Hugs ❤

Bibsjo,

Congratulations on getting off.  I know what it takes.  I, too, relied on God to get me through.  I could not have done it alone.  Wishing you all the best in your new life.  Ginger

• 3 weeks later...
Did anyone else have issues with the transfer to Valium? It was great at first as I actually slept through the night for the first time in months. Then I tried to take it during the day and just felt like a total zombie, depressed and fell back asleep a couple times trying to take my morning dose. I guess I am looking at some sort of hybrid taper now.

Hi friends!

Just following up. I have been holding at .219mg since 5/17.

.225-.219 I dropped .001mg/week and each tiny drop brought on bad symptoms.

I had a UTI and had a reaction to an antibiotic on May 25th- a couple days after my last drop.

I improved from that reaction but still not feeling well at all. I’m functional but growing weary.

I’m questioning everything, of course. Is liquid compound worse for me than pills? Is a longer hold beneficial with these changes I’ve made and med reaction? Am I just prolonging my suffering by holding?

I currently feel like I’ve hit a wall so maybe holding is the best bet? I’m praying for God’s wisdom ang guidance thorough this but I guess I would love some encouragement.

I’m pushing through symptoms and trying to fake  it until I make it but having such bad days when I’ve been holding for a month is discouraging.

I know God’s plan is bigger than I could ever imagine and He is so so good. He’s met with me in the worst times and I truly couldn’t do this without Him. I pray you all get through it soon.

We all will heal in His perfect timing.

Xoxo!

Hope,

I found the end of my taper to be the most difficult and took several long pauses to give myself time to stabilize. I too had a desire to keep marching on no matter what. Now I’m glad I took the long pauses. Eventually my symptoms lessened and my last dose was very anticlimactic. Patience, acceptance, and absolutely believing I would heal - eventually - were game changers.

Hope this helps,

Bib jo

Hope,

I found the end of my taper to be the most difficult and took several long pauses to give myself time to stabilize. I too had a desire to keep marching on no matter what. Now I’m glad I took the long pauses. Eventually my symptoms lessened and my last dose was very anticlimactic. Patience, acceptance, and absolutely believing I would heal - eventually - were game changers.

Hope this helps,

Bib jo

Thank you so much Bibs! I have recently discovered they the issue is the compound oil I have. When contacting another pharmacist, the oil is not soluble therefore cannot always be accurate.

Do you mind me asking what your formula/ingredients are since you handled the transition so well?

Thank you so much!

Hope,

I used Propylene Glycol because I needed to avoid alcohol, and it was compounded at at compounding pharmacy. I don’t want to give the exact formula because I’m not good with small numbers. I spoke directly to the pharmacist and he asked what the tablet equivalent I needed to convert and he figured it out for me. There are some other threads I think on here with buddies who can help you with the math.

I hope this helps!

Bibs Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. 

Came across a women on facebook who is trying to wean off of .7 mg Ativan and a small amount of cymbalta.  She tried to cross over to valium with bad reactions.  She currently is going down every 2 weeks by 10% and is bed ridden and suicidal. 

I told her 10% maybe too fast.  I also told her to stop weaning the cymbalta.

With Ativan's short half life, what would the best way be to wean off.  Water Titrate or dry cutting... are both methods ok with Ativan.  I'm more versed with Klonipin so I wanted to as our more experienced Ativan users.  Thank you!! :smitten:

Hello Charlene,

Nice of you to reach out to help another.  10% every 2 weeks was way too much for me. I learned that the hard way early on. But some on here have gone that fast ok.  I am extremely slow in this last of my taper.  Dry cutting, or liquid is a personal choice. I've seen success with both.  I began on a compound liquid at about .8 as cutting pills was not for me. 

Hugs

JuJuBi

Hello Charlene,

Nice of you to reach out to help another.  10% every 2 weeks was way too much for me. I learned that the hard way early on. But some on here have gone that fast ok.  I am extremely slow in this last of my taper.  Dry cutting, or liquid is a personal choice. I've seen success with both.  I began on a compound liquid at about .8 as cutting pills was not for me. 

Hugs

JuJuBi

JuJuBi,

So glad you are having more good days then bad...so happy for you!!!

Hey guys! Hoping for a little advice or encouragement. I feel worse than I have in a long time.

I kept going back and forth to liquid oil based compounds. I could never fully stabilize and felt like I just kept getting worse.

I switched back to pills on 7/2 with a slight updose (I had to due to pill weight, etc.)

I immediately started feeling better (flu like symptoms went away) but it’s been very up and down. I decided to cut on 7/12 from .24mg to .23mg (4% cut) and this week I have felt pretty terrible. I’m thinking maybe I should’ve held longer after switching back to pills?

For the last couple of months, my fatigue and brain fog has gotten worse and worse and feeling physically sick. In the beginning I had more anxiety, etc. but was able to function because I had energy/not many physical symptoms. These physical symptoms are starting to get debilitating. Fatigue/exhaustion/lethargy, some stomach upset, brain fog, can’t sit in the heat without feeling like I’m going to pass out.

I guess what I’m getting at is - do you think this fatigue/physical symptoms are from all of the changes and inaccurate dosing with the oil compound and switching back and forth? Or is this some sort of tolerance I’ve hit? How do you know if you’re in tolerance or is that unlikely in my situation? (Low dose, short term). I’m assuming this is not the Ativan side effects making me feel this way since I have stabilized on them before and they never gave me these physical symptoms but I don’t know  :-[ I did have a med setback about 1 1/2 months ago to an antibiotic but I felt that improve over a week or so. Although never completely stable.

I heard it’s best to hold until you have more good days than bad. This last cut, I didn’t do that and I’m thinking I just need to hold and stabilize. I did big cuts in the beginning and have had a really hard time with the liquid and stabilizing.

I would do anything for some stability and some of this crushing fatigue to subside.

I also have a big work change coming up so I’m trying to hard to get to a good place before that. I have barely been able to work from home (laying down while working!)

I made an appointment for bloodwork next week to see if I’m low in vitamin D or anything.

I don’t know what’s best to do but desperate for stability.

Thank you all so much!

Also - my diet is completely clean. No sugar, no gluten, no caffeine, clean ingredients. I changed my diet about 4 months ago. Crazy because I feel worse physically on the diet than before the diet! Hoping it’s just all of the changes with the dosing and I’ll stabilize soon.

• 2 months later...

I took A 2-3mg a day for 3 weeks and did a quick 1 week taper (I didn’t know you were supposed to taper slowly). It’s been over 3 weeks since I got off and I’m having acute symptoms that won’t let up.

Is it too late to reinstate? Or should I just hold on?

Congratulations on getting off Ativan.  If it were me I would hang on.  It will get better and you're healing since you were off.  Reinstating might not help and you'd be starting over.  It can be much harder the second time.

Congratulations on getting off Ativan.  If it were me I would hang on.  It will get better and you're healing since you were off.  Reinstating might not help and you'd be starting over.  It can be much harder the second time.

That’s what I’m going to do. Since posting this I learned that I’m too far out to reinstate so I’m just going to push through. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi .. I hope there are still some still out there tapering from Ativan.  You can see below my tapering .  It’s been just over a year and I’ve had my ups and downs but was able to hold when I felt like I needed to and continue.  The last 2-3 weeks it seems I’ve taken a dive.  Severe muscle pain particularly in my legs and hips and some days all over throbbing pain, hands, arms, shoulders hips, legs, feet.  You name it, it hurts.  It’s now to the point that I can’t sleep through the pain. 

I even went the pain doc route to see if this was actually a separate issue but to no avail…..consented to injections, steroids and then just lidocaine … neither worked.

I get out my bag of tricks i.e.,pain patches, topical stuff like BioFreeze, cold and hot packs, TENS unit.  Nothing working…. Of course the pain sends my anxiety sky high and the viscous circle begins.

I’m beginning to wonder if this is something other than withdrawal.  I was reading a medical paper about fibromyalgia last night and my symptoms are spot on.  Could it be a separate issue?

My other question:  I have been dry cutting and weighing on a scale.  Has anyone completely tapered from Ativan this way?  I’m not crushing and using gel caps etc.  just weighing the little pieces.

Thanks for any input.  I haven’t posted much on here because until lately I was able to put up with withdrawal symptoms but now I’ve hit a wall and am freaking out a bit from this relentless pain.

2cats.  :(

Hi .. I hope there are still some still out there tapering from Ativan.  You can see below my tapering .  It’s been just over a year and I’ve had my ups and downs but was able to hold when I felt like I needed to and the continue.  The last 2-3 weeks it seems I’ve taken a dive.  Severe muscle pain particularly in my legs and hips and some days all over throbbing pain, hands, arms, shoulders hips, legs, feet.  You name it, it hurts.  It’s now to the point that I can’t sleep through the pain. 

I even went the pain doc route to see if this was actually a separate issue but to no avail…..consented to injections, steroids and then just lidocaine … neither worked.

I get out my bag of tricks i.e.,pain patches, topical stuff like BioFreeze, cold and hot packs, TENS unit.  Nothing working…. Of course the pain sends my anxiety sky high and the viscous circle begins.

I’m beginning to wonder if this is something other than withdrawal.  I was reading a medical paper about fibromyalgia last night and my symptoms are spot on.  Could it be a separate issue?

My other question:  I have been dry cutting and weighing on a scale.  Has anyone completely tapered from Ativan this way?  I’m not crushing and using gel caps etc.  just weighing the little pieces.

Thanks for any input.  I haven’t posted much on here because until lately I was able to put up with withdrawal symptoms but now I’ve hit a wall and am freaking out a bit from this relentless pain.

2cats.  :(

Hi 2cats,

I am so sorry you suffering so badly.  I'm still tapering Ativan haven't posted on here in a while.  I wish I had answers to your questions.  I haven't had the pain you are having mine is mostly anxiety, GI & flushing.  Today has been horrible with the time change.  I am also during DLMT so I'm sorry but I'm no help with the dry cutting.  I just wanted you to know i am thinking about you and I'm sure other buddies will be along to help with your needs.

Sending you hugs and prayers ❤

DianeDeeDee

Thanks so much for your reply and your kind words.  I’m in the worst spot I’ve been in so far with this taper and it’s really bad.  I also am having terrible anxiety “freak outs”.  They were very random and sporadic before the last week but had 3 in the last week…..The pain makes the anxiety worse, of course and it is scary worse!  What a journey we are on! 

DianeDeeDee

Thanks so much for your reply and your kind words.  I’m in the worst spot I’ve been in so far with this taper and it’s really bad.  I also am having terrible anxiety “freak outs”.  They were very random and sporadic before the last week but had 3 in the last week…..The pain makes the anxiety worse, of course and it is scary worse!  What a journey we are on!

You are so welcome I just wish I knew how to help.  Yes the pain makes the anxiety worse it's a vicious cycle.  It looks like your taper was going pretty well praying you get back to a better spot very soon.

This sure isn't a journey that we would have chosen!

2cats

So sorry to hear of the rough time you're having. Any time my physical symptoms kick up it causes anxiety. I hope things ease up for you.

I am still tapering and have used a liquid for most of my taper.  I do know of a person on this thread that successfully dry cut all the way down.  His username is Powerball. You might try looking through his posts.

JuJuBi

JuJuBi

Thanks for responding.  I know quite a few Ativan users seem to use liquid to finish out their taper but I would like to try and do dry cutting to the end or at least crushing and using capsules.

Thanks for suggesting looking for Powerball’s posts. 

JuJu, I see you’re getting really down there.  I hope all is going well for you!

2cats

I'm sure there are many that dry cut most if not all of the way down.  Another user, beautyfromashes, dry cut all the way down from 1 mg to .075 before switching to liquid. you can search her posts as well.  I believe she is still active on the boards just not this one.

Yes everyday brings me closer.  I have gone painfully slow.  All I began this journey with are already off.  I am the turtle in the bunch.  I am glad I have gone this slow.  I am feeling pretty normal these days.

JuJuBi

JuJuBi

I’ve been doing this most recent phase of my taper for a year now. I’m guessing I may have another 6 mos but I try not to think about a certain date.  It’s hard not to.  I thought initially I could do it in a year because when I did the first phase of my taper a few years ago, I had basically no withdrawal affects.  When I restarted it was a whole different story.  Soldiering on! 

Thanks again for replying.  Looks like other Ativan users aren’t real active on this thread right now.  I hope it’s because they are doing really well.  :)

2cats

I had to take a break from the boards and try to live life.  It has worked for me to get away from the stories.  And yes as I have felt better I do not feel the need to come out here as much. I like to check now and then and offer support where I can.

I'm on month 19 of my taper.  Going slow can at times be a challenge. Part of why I did leave the boards. I felt pressured to speed up.  For me very slow is the only way.  I have been able to keep working and live life. As time goes by and I get lower I keep feeling better and stronger.  A good friend once told me "figure out how slow you need to go and then go even slower. You only want to do this once."

When I was going way too fast I was on the road to becoming bed ridden. When I slowed way down and started to feel better. I wrote myself a letter with all the reasons not to speed up. It included reminders of the horrid details of my suffering in those times. On the front it says read this before speeding up your taper.  Now I have timers set to remind me to dose and I take it like brushing my teeth, without much thought and move on.

We will get to the end.  It's not a race.

JuJuBi