Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi all -- Happy Monday!  :)

I'm almost a week in to the taper and it was going OK until yesterday... to recap, I had gone down to .95 mg daily in three doses (more at night). Toward the end of week my sleep had gotten really broken. Anyway yesterday (6 days in to taper) I had a severe spike in anxiety and had a panic attack while driving -- not a usual trigger for me. I felt really out of mind, like the anxiety had come from my body and my mental efforts to calm myself were useless. The whole cascade of physical symptoms overwhelmed me. I took 0.25 mg and felt OK-ish within an hour, but the day was kind of ruined by that experience and extra dose. In the evening I took less than usual to account for the extra dose but I think combined I was back to the 1 mg dose I started from.

My questions for you who are more experienced are: is that a normal "delayed" withdrawal reaction? I thought I was kind of in the clear 6 days in to a micro taper, and planned on tapering again tomorrow. Should I continue with the taper plan? Or does the extra rescue dose set me back? Today I feel a little more groggy and just generally kind of disappointed. I want to get off this drug!

Hi everyone.

Monday, and a new week for all of us.

I'm four days into a cut from 0.125mg twice per day to 0.125 once per day.  I've stopped the evening dose entirely. 

My only symptom is ringing in my ears, but if that continues for a while, I'm OK with that, because it doesn't interrupt my sleep or my normal life.  I can hear it when things are silent and quiet.

If this week goes well, I think I can start planning to jump.  I don't really have a good method of reducing lower than 0.125mg, because the Ativan tablets crumble.  My "0.125mg" doses aren't precise at all, I break a 0.5mg tablet in half, on the split line, and then break the half into quarters.  Then I eye-ball it and take the quarter that looks like 0.125mg.

It really is crazy that they don't make Ativan or Lorazapam in doses smaller than 0.5mg per pill.

Take care, everyone.

Hi all -- Happy Monday!  :)

I'm almost a week in to the taper and it was going OK until yesterday... to recap, I had gone down to .95 mg daily in three doses (more at night). Toward the end of week my sleep had gotten really broken. Anyway yesterday (6 days in to taper) I had a severe spike in anxiety and had a panic attack while driving -- not a usual trigger for me. I felt really out of mind, like the anxiety had come from my body and my mental efforts to calm myself were useless. The whole cascade of physical symptoms overwhelmed me. I took 0.25 mg and felt OK-ish within an hour, but the day was kind of ruined by that experience and extra dose. In the evening I took less than usual to account for the extra dose but I think combined I was back to the 1 mg dose I started from.

My questions for you who are more experienced are: is that a normal "delayed" withdrawal reaction? I thought I was kind of in the clear 6 days in to a micro taper, and planned on tapering again tomorrow. Should I continue with the taper plan? Or does the extra rescue dose set me back? Today I feel a little more groggy and just generally kind of disappointed. I want to get off this drug!

Hi Heartsonfire,

Panic attacks are truly terrifying and exhausting.  I'm so sorry to hear about yesterday,  but glad you are ok. I experienced panic attacks a couple of times. For me it was also biochemical, rather than externally caused (although stress exacerbates everything). I could not control it and had to wait for it to pass.  When it happened to me it woke me up from sleep. Gratefully both times it ended within some minutes or I would have had to go to the ER.

I have some some ideas and questions based on what I've learned on BBs and my own limited experience just to help you think it through. 

If you reduced too quickly for your body to handle, people often say with Ativan you can feel the affects of a cut three days or so afterwards.  So although there seems to be a pretty quick feedback compared to long acting benzos, there still seems to be a delayed response for many. 

Do you think your sleep difficulties were already giving you a signal to hold or slow down? Are you tapering a micro amount across doses every single day? Do you think your body/sleep has adjusted from moving some of your night dose into the day? 

Often recommended starting percentages for tapering here on Benzobuddies is a 5% to 10% reduction every 10 to 14 days. It looks like you started off at approximately a 10% reduction every 14 days or 5% every 7 days.

I think most of in this group started off wanting to get off as quickly as possible, ended up suffering and have needed to slow down.  That definitely happened to me.  I had to slow my tapering down to 5% every 21 days to get my symptoms under control. The psychological part of wanting to get off quickly and not being able to has truly been one of the biggest challenges of this journey.

Since you are only six days into tapering, maybe it would be better to "start over." Maybe be sure you are stabilized and then reduce by less.  Proponents of DLMT say it is "smoother" to reduce by a micro amount daily at a rate (rather than a larger amount requiring holds) where your body can adapt and recover. I think most of here, even while going slowly, have needed to hold, slow down or even take a rescue dose at times to stabilize.

In my case, the reason I took Ativan in the first place (severe depression/anxiety) requires I take other medication. I wish I didn't have to take it, but my episodes have become completely debilitating.  However, I am determined to get off the ativan because I do not consider it a long term solution.

I hope this helps a little.  Let me know what you think.  Maybe other's will share their experiences/ideas too.

Sending hugs and best wishes,

Luey

Heartsonfire - Happy Monday!

I’m sorry to hear you had a rough day yesterday.

I agree with Luey, maybe proceed a little slower until you figure out how withdrawal affects you personally.

I also wanted to remind you that this journey is not a linear process. You can do everything exactly the same and feel totally different from one day to the next. Some days are rough and we just have to hang on and get through it the best we can. I find practicing coping skills on the days I feel better helps me be prepared for the tougher days. I really liked this site. http://cbt4panic.org/ I also do a guided meditation every morning before I get out of bed. You will find coping strategies that work for you.

Don’t get disappointed, you can do this!!! Yesterday was just a bump in the road!

Osprey - Happy to hear things are going well for you!

Hi Luey -- thank you for the reply. That makes a lot of sense -- I'll just hold here awhile (5% down from highest dose). It is frustrating because I would like to go faster to be free from this drug. The reminder to be patient is helpful. Also helpful to know the withdrawal is sometimes delayed, and could have been contributing to what happened yesterday. You know, I do not think my body/sleep has adjusted from the shift in dosing times. I'm worried because I'm going back to work tomorrow, and the late work nights/work stress often make sleep harder anyway. I'll just hold steady and give myself time to adjust to this. I don't have to feel like a failure! :D Thanks so much for your hugs and kind words of encouragement. I hope you are having a good day.

Hi Committed -- thank you for reminding me the journey is not linear. That is tremendously helpful! What a relief. I'll look at that website too.

Hi committed

Still moving along down to 21.3 and it has been slow reducing daily still feel ok , but you are so right have to just keep moving things can change day to day or even hour to hour . On the good day I feel like I can do this on the bad days it feels like this will never end . Thank you for your friendship . How are you doing ?

Lisa

Great job Lisa!!

I so agree, some days are longer than others it seems. However, the end of each day is another day closer to being benzo FREE!!!

I am doing ok. Have had to slow down quite a bit which was discouraging for a while. Like everyone else I am anxious to be off this stuff.

Will your kids be home for Thanksgiving?

Hugs,

Committed

Heartsonfire, when I took a rescue dose I was able to just go right back down to the previous level of tapering. Sounds like you were able to, too. I don't know if this is helpful, but when I got below 1 mg I cut 0.002 mg a day.  Obviously your mileage may vary but just to give you an example of a taper rate.  I know what you mean about purely physical anxiety that you can't control with thoughts like you sometimes can with other types.  Awful.  It's hard, but the slower you go, the better shape you'll be when you get off this stuff. :)

AFI I am still happy for you. I have been away since my computer has been in the shop - as a professor/administrator 90% of my work is on my personal hard drive! I had those 8 great days of no nausea and then it returned periodically.. The Good News is that I am now down to .28mg from 4.o mg March 31. I am mostly sleeping well, and the other night I had the deepest night of sleep and I have stopped getting up to read. It is still shocking to me that I am sleeping on 0.28 when my body could not at all tolerate jumping once from 4 mg to 3.5

I have decided from here on in I will reduce just 0.001 mg per day and take it slow. If all goes well (it always never does!), I should jump in about 25 days, but I will wait until I am at 0.01mg. My scale will go that far. My goal was to be Ativan free by the time of my trip to Peru December 21. Maybe I will make it. After I return I will talk to my psychiatrist about the 1 mg of Xanax.

I am so sorry I got behind on the reads - I thought I had lost my password and I somehow found it tonight. I am my husband's computer tonight.

AFI, are you sleeping? Are you on anything else? I still worry about sleeping benzo free but I did for 50 years until I went on Ambien after 8 years. I cannot say I would not be happy if my Ambien had not stopped working...it gave me perfect 8 hr sleep. But the living my life and traveling based on my refill prescription doses I had left was just too stressful.

I will say one adjustment I have made by accident since on my recent trip to DC, my time out socializing (dancing etc.) did not allow me to have my rigid, lengthy med intervals. I cut my Xanax back from 1.5hrs pre Ativan to 45 minutes and cut my going to bed 45 minutes after my Xanax instead of 1 hr. Maybe these metabolic changes have helped me.

I look forward to living a more holistic lifestyle.  I wish everyone some days symptom free. And last, this community has saved my life. No one would tell me what to do. Not a damn one of any physicians on my team had any idea what to do. My psych doc were so vague he was entirely unhelpful but to say "go slow."  Good night all. Powerball.

hello everyone!

I am

A newbie to benzos and trying to recover from ativan. I am currently struggling with a lot of symptoms. I am in 0.360 mg day. (0.18 mg 2x per day). Mg weight scale. I dry cut about 5% every couple of days as I tolerate. last cut was hard. I am still in a wave and its been pretty much 3 days.

i would love some tips on how to cut or lower these dosages. As I get closer it seems more difficult to cut and not experience symptoms. Anyone has any tips?

i also noticed some people take ativan 3-6x daily. i am taking 2x daily but its what I always took. I started at 1mg - 2x per day. Took it for 2 konths and a half. I am currently at the third month but tapering.

I would love tour input. Thanks!

I am a newbie to benzos and trying to recover from ativan. I am currently struggling with a lot of symptoms. I am in 0.360 mg day. (0.18 mg 2x per day). Mg weight scale. I dry cut about 5% every couple of days as I tolerate. last cut was hard. I am still in a wave and its been pretty much 3 days.

Welcome CM22 to the Ativan Support Thread. Sorry to hear you are struggling. The main things I can think of are to wait until your symptoms subside before you make a another cut and also make smaller cuts.

I would love some tips on how to cut or lower these dosages. As I get closer it seems more difficult to cut and not experience symptoms. Anyone has any tips?

Again, if your symptoms are intolerable, the main thing I would suggest is to listen to your body and go at a slower rate. Some people seem to have difficulty as their dose gets lower and your brain and body are adjusting to lower amounts.

I also noticed some people take ativan 3-6x daily. I am taking 2x daily but it's what I always took. I started at 1mg - 2x per day. Took it for 2 months and a half. I am currently at the third month but tapering

I hope since you only took Ativan for 2 & 1/2 months, it will make it easier, but some people are very sensitive.  Yes some of us are taking our doses 3 or 4xdaily to prevent interdose withdrawals. Do you feel more anxious before you take your next scheduled dose? If not, I would stay with 2xdaily.  If you feel like your symptoms are worse, especially before your next dose, maybe it would be good to split your total dose into 3xdaily.

Finally, some of us have to find different solutions for the reason we were prescribed Ativan in the first place.  You've probably figured out that we all are different and we all are doing an individualized taper according to how we feel.  I agree with you that Ativan should not be taken long term.  I hope this is a little bit helpful.  I wish you the best of luck on this challenging journey. 

Hope you feel better soon! 

Luey

Hi Everyone,

I hope there are some bright spots in your day.  I took a major step and went out to an Audubon presentation with a friend yesterday evening and enjoyed myself.  I have not gone out in the evening for many months so it was a major step in building confidence and overcoming fear.  And that I felt motivated to do it is huge! It helps that a friend picked me up and it was a mellow quiet respectful group of people.  Also today I went to a community bike shop and did some major work on one of my bike and very much enjoyed interacting with other people in the shop.  We rebuilt the back coaster brake hub.  Yay!  A sense of accomplishment.  I am entering feeling better for two and a half months. Still keeping it slow.  After so many months of feeling poorly I don't want to rock the boat.

Lisa, I hope you do great at your new pace!

Committed, I hope "ok" means you are doing better.  Sometimes for me "ok" means not good, but not terrible. Sorry you had to slow down.  I know you want to get off like we all do!

Heartsonfire, I hope you're doing better and your work week goes well. Take it easy on yourself.

Osprey, You're almost there!

AF1, It's good to hear you are stable and not experiencing more withdrawal symptoms.  It's going to get better and better.

Powerball, So great you are sleeping and making good progress!  You must be happy to know you don't have to keep such a rigid schedule. 

Maggie, I'm thinking of you and hope your week is going well. Stay in touch!

I hope I didn't forget anyone!  Keep up the good work everyone!

Peace and Ease,

Luey

CM22 Welcome to our little group, but we have grown a little bit lately. Only a month or so just a few of us here joked "Isn't anybody on Ativan and trying to get off!!" Ha!

I have to agree with Luey. It sounds like you may be going a little fast and I agree to listen to your body and try and not rush our taper. We all get anxious at some time to get off quicker. Stay with us. We all try and help each other.

Luey, you are always so thoughtful to mention most off of us. That is very kind.

I had two very big presentations the last two days. Monday I gave myself a B+ and my slides (my academic IT did most of it) were A++. This before the entire college faculty and I do not think they have every seen that before. I have been going to Speaking Circles for just over 2 years and in small group I have mastered he conversational style. But those are low fear audiences. In my big position I think people look at me and expect near perfection. With my very borderline mania, I do not call it that as I am just below the line - but I feel it when I get close to the line. I felt OK after the presentation and thought I had made a great step.

Today I had another big one before all the Deans, Department Chairs, and Senior Directors and my boss. After my relative success the other day, I brought out my A game and was so much less nervous. I gave myself an A and my slides were excellent, this time I did them myself.

All is pretty good. I continue to taper and continue to sleep. My husband says, "you are taking crumbs, how come you can't you quit?" I say "darling it just doesn't work that way." Good night Powerball.

Thanks, Powerball! I sleep ok. Maybe a tiny bit worse than pre-jump but not much. Yes, I have several other drugs to taper off of. Sounds like your presentations went really well!

Hi, CM22, Welcome!

I am battling weaning down from 7mg daily of Ativan. I am experiencing isolation at home in my bedroom for many months even though I go out, I run back to my bed and it’s caused me fear of going out and I have made my world smaller and smaller as I am at 4.5mg right now but believe a lot of this fear and depression and anxiety has to come from this as I’ve been on a high dose for a while. Can someone please help with some hope and how I can focus on less fear and stepping out without losing a whole nights sleep when I do.

Thank you

I am battling weaning down from 7mg daily of Ativan. I am experiencing isolation at home in my bedroom for many months even though I go out, I run back to my bed and it’s caused me fear of going out and I have made my world smaller and smaller as I am at 4.5mg right now but believe a lot of this fear and depression and anxiety has to come from this as I’ve been on a high dose for a while. Can someone please help with some hope and how I can focus on less fear and stepping out without losing a whole nights sleep when I do.

Thank you

Hi there!  So sorry you're having a rough time. Some people find CBT ( Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ) helpful if you could find a therapist that does it.  I started at 6 mg of Ativan a day and it took me several years to taper off.  I wonder if you might be tapering too fast?  How long has it taken you to get down to 4.5 mg a day?

I tried in-hospital taper and they went from 7-1mg in 8 days and sent me home and my body exploded. I immediately went back to 5mg and have come down 1/4 mg roughly monthly. Is it normal to feel so horrible all the time and have such high anxiety and scary depression and feelings? I also have been out of work and in my room a lot even though I get out every day, but I have massive social anxiety that I’ve never had. I give speeches for a living and right now I’m afraid to go see a friend.

I tried in-hospital taper and they went from 7-1mg in 8 days and sent me home and my body exploded. I immediately went back to 5mg and have come down 1/4 mg roughly monthly. Is it normal to feel so horrible all the time and have such high anxiety and scary depression and feelings? I also have been out of work and in my room a lot even though I get out every day, but I have massive social anxiety that I’ve never had. I give speeches for a living and right now I’m afraid to go see a friend

Hi Patriot, So sorry to hear about your terrible "cold turkey" experience.  (Would you mind creating a signature to help us see where you are with your taper?). Your brain/body went through a huge shock so your difficult symptoms make sense.  I didn't go cold turkey but I also started tapering 11 months ago from the high dose of 6mg. I went too quickly in the beginning and my body also went into a kind of "shock."  I felt too sick to leave the house and would only get out for a few hours every week.  I slowed my taper down, switched to Daily Liquid Micro Tapering (DLMT) and as much as possible eat a healthy diet and do weekly moderate exercise.  In the last two and a half months I have been feeling a lot better. I'm currently reducing on average by about 1/8mg every 22 days and am getting closer to 1.75mg. As AF1 mentioned, it seems like one of the main strategies to stabilize is to taper more slowly.  It's good you are getting out some everyday and I do think it's good to force yourself when you can, especially if you can do activities that are healthy and minimal stress. When you feel better, it's easier to get back out in the world too.  Have patience with yourself, listen to your body and do the best you can.  I do believe recovery from this drug is possible.  It just takes time.  Best wishes to you,  Luey

Patriot, I am so sorry you are suffering. This group will support you. I showed up her the last week of March and I was really desperate to get off but none of my doctors knew what to do, even my psychiatrist. With struggles and ups and downs that admittedly didn't paralyze me, I have come down from 4 mg to 0.27mg in just over 7 months. Are you taking your dose for sleep or just spreading out over the day? Luey is the best here for helping newbies who hate Ativan to help start the path - at least many of us here think so. She was only a higher dose than I and has chiseled down too. But everyone's journey is uniquely different, for the better or for the worse. But please do not give up hope and hang around here very often. This group saved my life. They really did, each in their own way. What a great step you have taken. Good night. Powerball

Morning all,

Nice to see all the new people here, and sorry that they have to be here at all but this is a great place with great people.

So many new people its hard to keep up with names. Wishing every one calm days ahead.

Powerball glad to hear from you and so happy you are doing well.

Committed we are on the same track just pushing along we will get there. One day at a time.

I have still be dropping slowly with some symptoms but managable.

Luey i am so happy for you , you sound happy.

Af1  you seem to be doing well too. so happy for everyone.

Wishing all a great day

lisa

Hi Lisa and Powerball,  Can you believe we've been on this thread since March?!?! (Lisa I think it has been even longer for you). Just like PB's stellar presentations, I give us all, and everyone on this thread, an A++ for our efforts and perseverance!!!! We are moving forward, each in our own way.  I remember thinking OMG everyone is tapering from such a low amount compared to me until PB appeared. Now I realize the amount doesn't really seem to matter.  There are NO set of rules to this thing.  Everyone, keep on taking care of yourself in your own way!!!!  I appreciate staying in touch with each of you. Check in when you can. Luey aka Ativan Hater

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found this website and this support group.  I too am tapering off lorazepam.  At one point, several years ago, I was taking both lorazepam and clonazepam two times per day (1 mg lorazepam, .5 mg clonazepam).  I tapered off the clonazepam slowly, and went through the usual insomnia, rebound anxiety, and just generally feeling miserable, but basically got through it okay.  Then about two and a half years ago I got off the morning dose of the lorazepam, again slowly.  I got stuck there for a long time because of some really hard events in my life that happened at that time.

Finally, about a year ago I decided it was time to try again to get off the lorazepam.  I tapered slowly from 1 mg to .75, held for a few months and then started the taper from .75 to .5 in April of this year.  That was when the stuff really started to hit the fan for me.  I started to have bad eye twitching and even some facial twitching, in addition to the insomnia and horrible anxiety.  Also a lot of dizziness, muscle stiffness and balance issues.  After a few months I finally got back to more or less normal, just more insomnia and anxiety than usual. 

In September I started again, and tapered down from .5 to .375, slowly over about four weeks (basically took a .5 pill and cut it into halves and quarters; in week 1 and 2 took the smaller dose on two nonconsecutive days and in weeks 3 and 4 took it on 4 nonconsecutive days).  Things got even uglier then.  Major dizziness, muscle stiffness, balance issues, headaches, insomnia, anxiety, and memory issues/brain fog/confusion.  Sheesh. 

I am looking for support to keep going.  I really want to get off the lorazepam but it is so hard to keep functioning and going to work every day.  I'm new to this site and glad to find support.

Hello, Haimona, welcome!

When you tapered in September from .5 to .375 if I read correctly it comes out to 0.004 mg cut a day. You might have just gone too fast, and you might want to do a liquid microtaper.  The last half of my taper I cut 0.002 mg a day and right at the end I had to slow down to 0.001 mg a day.  Some people go faster and some go slower than that; it's just an example. I'm giving you a link on how to do a liquid microtaper. Another option would be to get a gram scale and crush your tablet and weigh the powder to cut micro amounts every day. 

http://benzo.alwaysdata.net/titration/titrationHelp.htm?help=Readme+First