Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

NYC - you sound better already!!! I love it. So glad  :thumbsup:

You are right.....a wave is when get hit hard with symptoms and an increase in intensity and a window is when you feel close to normal or have very minimal symptoms.

The Ativan can absolutely be making you feel more depressed and off-kilter, that was certainly the case for me and I was a short term user as well. I have felt substantially better as my dose gets lower. No reason that won't be the same for you.

A success story that would likely really interest you is by LaserJet. He was a short term user and had an awful w/d and healed very quickly once off the Ativan. I take a lot of comfort from his words.

Hey guys, just stopping by. Today has been the worst day of my taper so far. Ive been up since noon on the 12th and had a seizure around 2 AM on the 13th. Im pretty disoriented and dizzy and very very tired but I cant sleep a wink as my brain simply does not want to shut down. Prayers and support are much needed.

Does anyone have some tips on how I can get some rest? Thanks in advance. I love you guys and Ill be praying for you all as well.

Oh Omni....that's terrible. I'm sorry. Have you had seizures before (pre-benzo's)? It's seems strange since you aren't tapering at a rapid pace? I'm sorry the last couple of days have been so hard. I am thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts  :smitten:

I'm sorry I don't have any advice on sleep. I've been SO very fortunate that mine is rarely disrupted so I'm not sure what to suggest. I know Saga has had some issues post-jump with sleep so I'm sure she will have some reliable suggestions for you.

Is your signature updated? Where are you at now with your taper?

Hey guys, just stopping by. Today has been the worst day of my taper so far. Ive been up since noon on the 12th and had a seizure around 2 AM on the 13th. Im pretty disoriented and dizzy and very very tired but I cant sleep a wink as my brain simply does not want to shut down. Prayers and support are much needed.

Does anyone have some tips on how I can get some rest? Thanks in advance. I love you guys and Ill be praying for you all as well.

Oh Omni, I'm SO SO sorry about the seizure. I have a close family member with epilepsy, I'm no stranger to them but they are very scary. I also wonder if you have a history as well or if this was a random event. I'm sure all of this is weighing on your mind and contributing to the lack of sleep as well.

I do have sleep issues post jump, and I've rotated Unisom Benadryl and Vistaril on a regular basis. I'll be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts your way as well. :smitten:

Omni, melatonin has worked for me the past few nights, in helping stay asleep. I didn't think it would be potent enough but it seems to be having a good effect and I'm glad not to be using a pharma to help do it now.

OK, I want to take the next step and drop down from 0.75 mg/day (six 0.125 doses) to 0.68. Scale hasn't arrived yet. I could shave one of the 0.125 doses in half I guess? I know this wouldn't keep the doses even. Not sure what to do with these micro-cuts as the crumbs are building up.

The liquid suspension sounds easier but I don't have a clue how to do it yet. Is it really possible to just keep cutting up these little fragments? Do I accumulate the fragments and then weigh them for a dose? (How does one manage this during the day???) Panicking again.

I'm new here and not sure how/where to post.  Forgive me if I've horned in, in the wrong territory.

I'm trying to come off ativan from .5mg at night. I developed tolerance withdrawal symptoms....on .475mg. at night via compounded liquid ativan.

Suffering--all withdrawal symptoms I have read here. Adrenaline rushes throughout the night worst when I am ovulating.

Horrendous crying spells are the newest; they come in the afternoons (if there is a "pattern").

Does anyone have any thoughts on spreading my dose throughout the day?  I have read that can help.

I'm scared that I have only just begun this process--for how bad it will get.

Hope I can get the hang of the forum.  Thanks for being here for all of us!

Hi June:

Welcome.

Your definitely in the right place. Youve got one leg up on th process already having a compounded liquid suspension, it will make dropping your dose easier in the long run.

Yes, spreading your dose out to at least several times a day will almost certainly help as others here can attest to. I refused to spread mine out as I tapered and I paid the price for not doing it (pretty bad interdose withdrawal). You could start with moving from dosing once a day to 3 or 4 times a day and see how that works out for you. Equal doses.

Ativan is a terrible drug to have to endure, glad you stopped by.  Many of us on this thread have successfully gotten off ativan, if you read back through the ~400 pages of history.

Feel free to ask more specific questions, we are here to help.  :)

Would definitely like to hear more about the suspension idea - what size pills to use, how to measure. I think I'll ask my doc for straight-up liquid next week but I doubt he'll do it as the last question he asked me was "Are you tapering by 0.5 mg per day?" as he would do in the hospital. He scares me a bit.

June - welcome, sorry you find yourself here but you have definately landed in the right place. We will do our best to help you. Since Laser already answered your questions all I will add is that the symptoms you are describing are very "normal". I've had them as well and they did lower in intensity when I divided my doses evenly throughout the day. This seems to be the key when tapering Ativan because of it's short duration if action. Dosing 4x a day seems to be the average. You are already a step ahead using the liquid. Remember when you change over to multiple dosing, it can feel like a drop in dose. I always recommend holding for a week to let your body get accustomed to the change. Keep posting with your questions 

NYC - here is a link to water titration. It's likely better to have your solution made by a compounding pharmacy, but some people (like me) prefer making it at home.

http://benzosupport.org/water_titration.htm

You can also visit Rriver's blog where she has step by step instructions on how she does her liquid and she is just at the very end of her taper now and has had a lot of success.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=94605.msg1526191#msg1526191

Hi LASER  :smitten:

Thanks for the support and replies. This was my first seizure. Im not really certain as to what caused it. I got up from a hot bath and decided to dry off and BAM, the seizure hit me. I managed to get a good bit of sleep last night after taking some Benadryl and melatonin. I also have a script for vistaril, so hopefully I can alternate between it and the Benadryl so my body doesn't get used to them. Has anyone ever tried L-Trypotophan? I picked up a bottle the other day but have yet to try it.

Thanks for the support guys, prayers going out to you all.  :smitten:

Omni - I think there is a thread about L-Tryph in the "Other Medications" section if the forum. So, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you know it was a seizure? I don't know much about them.... :idiot:

I have now been on ativan suspension for 5 days.

.5 x4 times a day. I am getting rushes and deep sense of apathy and despair. I feel like I'm in a hole and can't get out. Also started to get insomnia. I have return of teeth and gum pain...I don't know whether to continue or not or revert back to tablets. Or increase the frequency of taking the drug. Seems to be leaving my system really fast compared to the tablets.

I have now been on ativan suspension for 5 days.

.5 x4 times a day. I am getting rushes and deep sense of apathy and despair. I feel like I'm in a hole and can't get out. Also started to get insomnia. I have return of teeth and gum pain...I don't know whether to continue or not or revert back to tablets. Or increase the frequency of taking the drug. Seems to be leaving my system really fast compared to the tablets.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the liquid Pete. Since it's only been 5 days, my first thought would be to try either staying at the 4 doses for a few more days to see if you adjust, or divide those doses into 5 if you are having trouble going  the length of time between the doses.

Ativan is short acting, it's very possible you're either still adjusting or need to add another dose dividing your doses into 5 rather than 4 times a day. Of course you can always go back to the tablets, only you can make that decision.

June welcome to thread from me as well! Laser and Kiddo have given you good information, keep asking questions, we'll be happy to help any way we can.

Omni I'm really glad you were finally able to get some sleep, take good care of yourself :smitten:

Saga

June, Pete and all:

Just wanted to add my two cents.  I jumped faster than recommended and went through literal hell along the way.  Would not have survived without the buddies here.

I cried more and more as I decreased my dose, insomnia was worse, shaking,  weak etc.  But I knew I had to get off ativan.  It was like ativan was the devil himself trying to drag me under, mess my mind up more and keep me on the drug.

Keep on deceasing and soon you will be off of the poison.

Wishing you all well.

Domestic Advisor

Kiddo That's what my sister said it was because my mother used to have them. Started off with severe nausea, then into an unexplainable feeling in my chest, then dizziness, trouble concentrating, blurred vision, then I was fighting just to stay conscious. My hands and feet started tingling hardcore then went numb. I went through all of this in about 5-10 minutes and it lasted the better part of an hour.

Thank you for such a warm welcome!

First of all--compounding pharmacies rock! (at least that has been my experience).  I got off Zyprexa two years ago via a  compounded liquid and I have come down from 300mg. of lamictal to 230mg. by having it compounded from tablets into capsules over the past year and a half.

Second of all--I am scared and confused.  I have a 1 ml. (1ml. = .5 mg ativan; that is my understanding) syringe that I got at the veterinarian's office.  But when I read about the micro cuts people make I get overwhelmed by how to do that, and do it Right--so many tiny black lines! :o.

I am also feeling very worried about my lamictal being in the mix.  It has been a horrible drug for me, exacerbating all my symptoms, but I was seeing a really awful dr. at the time and he just kept raising it, telling me it would get better.  Then the mind racing began and the rage and visceral anxiety day in and day out with crying spells.

I could go on and on.  I have a great dr. now who got me on lithium which put a lid on the mind loops and on lexapro which put a lid on the visceral anxiety.

So.....back to ativan and lamictal--and hormones--it is my understanding that lamictal monkeys with estrogen and the glutamate/GABA dance, and of course ativan is monkeying with that as well.

My cycle is so much a part of the hell of lamictal before lithium, and the new hell of ativan withdrawal.  At this point it is somewhat predictable but I am worried as I go lower in dose the full-fledged terror state I was in from 2010-2012 will come back.  Such trauma this all has been.

Any advice/thoughts?  I appreciate your help.

June - Wow! I'm so sorry. That is so typical....drugs to chase the side effects of drugs. Just more and more drugs. Sorry you are part of this circus. I don't have any experience with the medications you've taken so I can't be of much help in that department. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.  :smitten:

Kiddo-  Look how well you've done with your taper!  How are you feeling now at such a low dose?  Forgive me if you have posted your recent symptoms/sensations of withdrawal lately--I haven't read too far back on the thread

thanks

Hi June,

Just read your sig line...diagnosed with everything but the kitchen sink...touché! The poly drugging is absolutely insane. I've just dumped my last med, so I understand the situation you're in. It's terrible...I don't however, have personal experience with lamictal or lithium.

Sadly I don't have any experience with micro tapering either. I hope someone using the liquid will jump in. I think it's great you've been able to compound the lamictal and reduce slowly. Sounds like a good plan with the Ativan to be honest, go slowly since you have other meds in the mix and you're worried about the reduction of both. A very very slow taper would probably be in your best interests tapering both simultaneously. Maybe put a question on the titration thread if you don't get a response here? :smitten:

Saga

Hi all. Welcome to the newcomers to this thread. Just wanted to make a few comments re: some of the questions re: compounded solution:

PETE: I would also advise giving your liquid more time. It took me about a week to adjust from pills to liquid ( and as Kiddo said when you divide your doses up it can feel like a cut as well) I don't use a suspension like you ( I have a compounded solution) but I am wondering : Are you shaking the suspension really well before taking it? Also, how are you drawing it up eg. a syringe ? Are you keeping it refrigerated?

JUNE: As you can tell from my signiture, I suffered a major hormone crash following a hysterectomy and receiving poor advice from my surgeon about not needing HRT "at my age". So I can relate in a big way to how hormones can affect our entire body and mind. It took me months on 2 different AD's ( tried Lexapro first and it didn't work for me) to stabilize and unfortunately ended up taking Ativan longer than I wanted to . I concur with you that compounding pharmacies are such a good solution. It has been such a relief for me not to have to cut and weigh pills anymore . Re: your comment about being confused about how to do microcuts daily, I haven't been doing this ( Have been cutting between 2.5%-5% weekly )and so far that is going well. "Green Irish Tweed" and I believe "Rriver" are doing daily microcuts so they may be able to answer some questions for you. I also use a 0.5mg/ml solution and my syringe is 0.5mg/ml . Your compounding pharmacist may be able to supply a different syringe/and concentration of solution) If you want to do smaller daily microcuts eg. I believe Green Irish Tweed uses a much more dilute solution  and different size syringe to do her .002mg daily cuts.

Hello to Kiddo, Saga, Laser., G.I.T, Rriver,Thanks for your ongoing support to me in my journey so far.

Haven't heard from Cosmic and Warrior for a while. Hope you are both doing okay?

Sending healing thoughts and prayers to everyone here. .

Omni - that sounds horrible, I'm so sorry and so very glad your ok  :smitten:

June - I feel mostly "ok". I'm always symptomatic but the intensity varies. I have all the usual symptoms....cog fog, headaches, stiff muscles, vibrations, anxiety, panic attacks, blurry vision, boaty, etc. The lower I get in dose though, the more mentally balanced I feel. I feel like a million bucks compared to the beginning of my taper and being on that much Ativan. Trying to look at the bright side.

Judy - you sound terrific, so glad the liquid is working for you. I really hope I can get past the fear and try it.

Omni - that sounds horrible, I'm so sorry and so very glad your ok  :smitten:

June - I feel mostly "ok". I'm always symptomatic but the intensity varies. I have all the usual symptoms....cog fog, headaches, stiff muscles, vibrations, anxiety, panic attacks, blurry vision, boaty, etc. The lower I get in dose though, the more mentally balanced I feel. I feel like a million bucks compared to the beginning of my taper and being on that much Ativan. Trying to look at the bright side.

Judy - you sound terrific, so glad the liquid is working for you. I really hope I can get past the fear and try it.

Take a leap of faith and try it Kiddo! It can't be worse than anything you've been through already and I feel you have much more to gain than lose eg. the frustration have having to deal with that darn scale and I also believe more preciseness with the taper. I was fearing it too , but am so glad I took the leap.

This afternoon had the most insane time, feeling utter dread for no reason in a library (maybe it reminded me too closely of a past job I'd had). Utter dread and feeling dizzy and sick. It's passed now but scary. I worry that ativan has damaged my brain these past few months and I'll never get it back, compounding my other depression and anxiety. Suicidal today. Made some calls but feeling so unsteady it scares me to death.

Been at 0.75 now for about ten days.

Now the scale has arrived. I'm intimidated by all this cutting and powders and all. Can anyone help with the first step downward to the next 10%? Step by step? I think Saga does this...?