Author Topic: Tapering off Ativan Support Thread  (Read 490641 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tapering off Ativan Support Thread
« Reply #9750 on: October 16, 2020, 08:42:20 am »
[...],

CONGRATULATIONS! Iím so [...] for you. Thank you for all your support. Itís made a huge difference for me. I really appreciate it. Iím hoping to join you on the other side by the end of this year.

[...] Birthday and Thanksgiving. Praying for your 100% recovery!

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9751 on: October 16, 2020, 09:05:30 am »
Haimonia,

Iíve been where you are. I was dry cutting .5 mg tablets without a scale and had some pretty severe waves. Iím glad you got a scale. For me, everything got more intense under 1 mg. I understand what you are going through.

I recently switched over to a liquid compound and so far itís been good. Iíve had some really excellent windows.  Just started microtapering two days ago after stabilizing on the liquid for a week.

We are here for you,
[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9752 on: October 16, 2020, 01:52:25 pm »
[...],

Thank you for your encouragement! I definitely have experienced the same thing, that it has gotten harder under 1 mg. (A lot harder).  I am holding for a few more days I think, at my current dose, as I can still feel the instability of the most recent cut (worse [...], jitteriness).  I am so eager to get off this poison, but I have to keep working and functioning the best I can, and I don't want a huge crash.

Thanks,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9753 on: October 17, 2020, 03:43:26 am »
[...],

Exactly. Also, it feels like the closer I get to the end, the farther away it gets. Now Iím holding again because my Dr. [...] away for a week and does not want me to crash while heís out. I hate this. Iím hoping to celebrate the New Year Benzo free.

Take care,
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9754 on: October 20, 2020, 05:04:20 pm »
I thought I could taper quickly since Iíve only been on xanax then ativan 6 weeks.  Guess I am wrong.  Moved from 0.25mg 1x day-xanax then at 4 weeks 0.5mg ativan tapering to 0.375 then 0.125.  Holding at .125 for 11 days and in hell.  Severe anxiety, panic, depression.  I cant take it.

Did switching from xanax to ativan cause this?  Does this mean Iíve CT xanax and going through withdrawals.
Taking 1x a day causing this?
Dropping too fast causing this?

I am lost as to exactly how to get more stable.  My doctor will only Rx ativan.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9755 on: October 20, 2020, 10:55:02 pm »
Hi [...],

Welcom to this very supportive thread.  You've come to the right place.  I'm sure other more knowledgeable people than I will come and chime in soon on your post.  That does sound like an awfully fast taper to me.  I'm not surprised you are struggling so badly right now.  Have you looked at the [...] Manual yet? It was written by a doctor who was an expert on benzos and benzo withdrawal, and she definitely suggests a slower taper than that -- and many of us (including me) taper even more slowly than Dr. [...] suggests.  I think the biggest thing [...] to listen to your brain/body, and take your time with it.  The temptation [...] always to speed it up to get off the benzos, but that can make things worse than they may need to be.

For me, I'm still feeling the very small back-to-back reductions I made in the past few weeks, and so I'm holding at the moment, waiting to get back to some kind of equilibrium, or at least less jumpiness/jitteriness/DR/brain fog. 

Hoping all the other buddies are doing as well as possible [...].

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9756 on: October 20, 2020, 11:19:42 pm »
Hi [...],

Welcom to this very supportive thread.  You've come to the right place.  I'm sure other more knowledgeable people than I will come and chime in soon on your post.  That does sound like an awfully fast taper to me.  I'm not surprised you are struggling so badly right now.  Have you looked at the [...] Manual yet? It was written by a doctor who was an expert on benzos and benzo withdrawal, and she definitely suggests a slower taper than that -- and many of us (including me) taper even more slowly than Dr. [...] suggests.  I think the biggest thing [...] to listen to your brain/body, and take your time with it.  The temptation [...] always to speed it up to get off the benzos, but that can make things worse than they may need to be.

For me, I'm still feeling the very small back-to-back reductions I made in the past few weeks, and so I'm holding at the moment, waiting to get back to some kind of equilibrium, or at least less jumpiness/jitteriness/DR/brain fog. 

Hoping all the other buddies are doing as well as possible [...].

[...]

Hey [...].  Yeah.  I just read through it.  Also found out that some folks are splitting ativan up to 5x a day.  [...] will only rx ativan so I have to work with that.  I know the [...] manual says to switch over to Val but not an option for me unfortunately.  Got her to rx liquid ativan and tomorrow i will split dose 4x a day.  If that doesnt work then I will updose a bit to see what happens.  Cant believe how fast I developed such a strong dependence on this drug.  Wow!

[Buddie]

« Reply #9757 on: October 21, 2020, 09:02:45 am »
I thought I could taper quickly since Iíve only been on xanax then ativan 6 weeks.  Guess I am wrong.  Moved from 0.25mg 1x day-xanax then at 4 weeks 0.5mg ativan tapering to 0.375 then 0.125.  Holding at .125 for 11 days and in hell.  Severe anxiety, panic, depression.  I cant take it.

Did switching from xanax to ativan cause this?  Does this mean Iíve CT xanax and going through withdrawals.

[...], welcome to this group. Iím so sorry this happened to you. You will heal. Unfortunately it takes time.

I felt much better when I split my doses evenly through the day (and night). At first I set my alarm for every six hours and then gradually moved it to every 8 hours, and then over time to twice a day.

I experience ďwavesĒ of symptoms and ďwindowsĒ of well being. I hang onto  the windows and remind myself when I have waves that this [...] temporary and that it always passes.

I agree, the best source of information Iíve found  [...] The [...] Manual. I canít speak to whether the crossover from Xanax to Ativan helped or hurt. But many, many people here in this group have successfully tapered off of Ativan. We have watched several of our buddies complete their tapers recently.

I recently switched from tablets to a liquid compound. Iím feeling much better on the liquid. Itís much more accurate and easier for me to taper at these last low doses.

Weíre glad you found this thread,
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9758 on: October 21, 2020, 02:13:58 pm »

[...], welcome to this group. Iím so sorry this happened to you. You will heal. Unfortunately it takes time.

I felt much better when I split my doses evenly through the day (and night). At first I set my alarm for every six hours and then gradually moved it to every 8 hours, and then over time to twice a day.

I experience ďwavesĒ of symptoms and ďwindowsĒ of well being. I hang onto  the windows and remind myself when I have waves that this [...] temporary and that it always passes.

I agree, the best source of information Iíve found  [...] The [...] Manual. I canít speak to whether the crossover from Xanax to Ativan helped or hurt. But many, many people here in this group have successfully tapered off of Ativan. We have watched several of our buddies complete their tapers recently.

I recently switched from tablets to a liquid compound. Iím feeling much better on the liquid. Itís much more accurate and easier for me to taper at these last low doses.

Weíre glad you found this thread,
[...]

Hey [...].  Thank you.  Very helpful.

I split the dose to 3x yesterday by throwing the 0.125mg pill into 100ml of water, drinking about [...]% morning lunch and evening.  It helped!  I was a bit shaky between doses but at least i wasnt on the floor crying  all day with severe non-stop panic attacks.   

I get liquid ativan tomorrow and will be able to dose 4x a day in much more precise doses.  It wasnt easy to convince the [...] but she did finally support my request.  Hoping this works and hoping I can stablize on 0.125mg then start a much slower taper.

I am finally hopeful [...].

[Buddie]

« Reply #9759 on: October 24, 2020, 04:14:59 pm »
Hello all,
So many new names here. This [...] an incredible resource and support forum. Many of the folks supported me through hell. Ií[...] be grateful forever. My taper was bar none, the toughest thing Iíve done. My career field in law enforcement and military deployments pailed in comparison. That being said, I made it. SO WILL YOU!

[...].. so [...] for you! You are awesome, and so glad you are Benzo free.
Iím there also ( jumped on 10 September)  :).....and life [...] back to normal for me. I didnít believe I would ever feel like myself again, but Iím proof that there [...] a normal again. Iím running, biking and competing again like I was prior to Ativan.

For the new folks, lessons I learned:

-Be patient and know this [...] not a race. I learned that lesson the very hard way. That just set me back. My rule was that Iíd have to feelí okí for a week prior to another cut.
-use a scale.
-[...] slow, then even slower.
-have faith you WILL prevail.
-crappy symptoms of tapering are a healthy response to your body and brain adjusting to normal. They suck, but I reminded myself that it was [...] happening. Still, I know, it sucks when we are in it.
-educate yourself AND your loved ones about the struggle ahead. Support [...] key.
-love the Ďwindowsí, slog through the Ďwavesí
-finding a long term medication (SSRI ) was the ticket for me. It took 3 months to kick in, but made an immense difference.
-stay busy, keep your mind occupied ( I remodeled a bathroom) I needed something to focus on other than the misery I was feeling. Force yourself to move and get outside.
-exercise and eat well.
- keep a daily journal as you taper. It helped me a bunch on a bad day, to look back and read about the good days.

I know that reading this and trying to believe you will feel ď yourselfĒ again at times will be impossible. Benzoís are the biggest liar on the face of the earth. It causes our brains to [...] to the darkest places and stay there unless we fight back.

Hoping that you all find success and the windows are plentiful.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:21:09 pm by [Buddie] »