Author Topic: Tapering off Ativan Support Thread  (Read 538821 times)

[Buddie]

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »
I thought I'd start this b/c not [...] are tapering off Ativan.  However, I know it's possible and have seen success.  My doctor won't switch me to V or K since I am such a low dose to begin with.  Would love to share notes with anyone currently tapering or who has successfully tapered off Ativan.  I am currently taking my dose 3 times/day.  Thanks, [...]   :smitten:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Tapering off Ativan Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »
I moved this thread to the General Taper Plans support board where you will get more replies from people looking for this kind of support.

All the best!
[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:59:19 pm »
Hey [...]! I'm an ativan withdrawaler. =) I'm 64 days benzo free. How are you doing?

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »
Hi [...]--

Not good [...], unfortunately.  I thought I took a small enough cut, but man, my system must be so sensitive to this stuff!  How did you feel during your taper?  I feel in a dream-like state, slept only 1 hour last night, no appetite, tinnitus, no energy, some depression [...] (shocker--I feel like crap every day), [...] issues, etc.  I [...] being a fun mommy to my kids.  This [...] not fair to any of us!  I actually had some "good" days around Christmas which was nice.  Was your taper [...]-sailing or did you experience similar w/d??  So [...] for you that you are OFF this poison.  I will be there soon...

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 08:38:03 pm »
You know, it's weird... I almost think I was doing better during my taper than I am now? It's a whole other feeling?

But I also started Remeron while I was tapering too to help out? So maybe that's why my taper wasnt so bad?

My tolerance w/d was pretty dang bad! or whatever i was going through... it was constant lightheadedness, off balance, delayed vision response (like when moving my head upwards, things would slightly move for a 2nd)... then the breathlessness in bed, with overwhelming feelings over my body before falling asleep, almost like a rush of adrenaline but ICE COLD adrenaline? Then i had the body shocks in bed, and even once during the day with really bad d/p and d/r... thats when I knew there was a problem going on and it was no longer just an anxiety spell. I also had benzoriah, I remember the crying was so intense I couldnt stop. But then once I updosed to 2mg, saw a psych, i was fine! then i started remeron, I was great!, then started cutting ativan every week, and I was fine doing this! sometimes id almost forget to even take my dose of ativan while tapering, that's how good i felt. I had energy yada yada yada. I did have one bad panic attack though after my ativan taper was done. And I mean BAD! I thought I was dying... the cold and hot sweats, the bad energy in my body, the breathlessness, i was breathing like i ran a marathon! the nausea, the fire feeling coming out of my mouth... ugh! not a good experience. Luckily it only lasted 5 minutes? Then was left with constant shaking and tremors. Luckily this only happened once! My CNS was very sensitive!

Then after I was done tapering, I remember having some mild anxiety, like bad butterflies in my stomach, then I'd obsess about w/d for a bit, then be fine for a while... I slowly weened off the Remeron, then came the fatigue, the forgetfulness/memory issues, feeling kind of spacy.. but i don't necessarily think it was the remeron. I then had issues with [...]... but it has pretty much returned to normal. I also remember having some issues with watching tv shows etc. and my anxiety would just peak for no reason. A strange adrenaline anxiety. Not fun, but I [...] and just tried my best to give it no thought and remember its just w/d.

Lately now I've just have been going through this little funk, you can see on the w/d and recovery board i just posted what im going through at the moment.

Hang in there! [...] you are doing well. Have you had any of my s/x?

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 03:37:31 am »
hello fellow members of the ativan club.  I've been doing a slow taper for about 15 months now after over 10 years use of 1mg then 1.5 mg a day for insomnia, pleased for the end to be in sight.  I think I'm tapering very slowly, but I've had a lot happen in the last year (3 family deaths including my mum, I had cancer (fully recovered) and now I have a thyroidectomy in a month).

Many symptoms have changed through my taper.  I started with a big cut with no idea what would happen - went from 1.5mg to 1mg, and overnight I started getting tinnitus, crazy mood swings, frazzled thinking, sudden anger, and when i talked the sound of my voice coming as if from another person. 

My biggest relief has been the recovery of my brain.  At one stage i couldn't make a mental map across town to drive from one place to another.  I couldn't even follow the story line of a comedy programme. Now I'm a lot more capable as my brain recovers.  Its hard as Im self employed and get work based on problem solving and my ability to write.   

I've had tinnitus the whole time, and bad muscle aches, along with insomnia and anxiety.  It [...] getting better as I get lower.

It seems so strange to just blurt this all out, but I guess it helps to share our difficulties, as well as celebrate our achievements.

[...] new year to you all (its only 8 hours away where i [...])

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 04:20:21 am »
[...]--glad you joined!  I also have had tinnitus ever since I lowered my dose.  How long did you hold at 1 mg. after you cut from 1.5?  Did the sx you experienced improve over time?  Do you [...] in England? I noticed you said "mum" :)  I had a British nanny when I was a kid and remember her saying this.  :)  I was only on Ativan a short time, but now know it doesn't matter whether long or short--this med [...] a tough one to kick.  Congrats for overcoming cancer--what an amazing acheivement--especially while tapering!  Sorry to hear about your deceased mom and family/friends.  You sound like a strong person holding up through all of this.  Also good your cognitive issues are coming back, as well as your [...].  I am suffering terrible insomnia right now :(  Do you take your dose 3 or 4 times a day?

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:00 am »
Oh and of course [...]--always great to hear your progress too!! :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 04:36:24 am »
Hello Ativan BBs
Looking forward to learning about your low dose tapering experiences.
Tapering Ativan [...] quite the challenge, huh? It got more difficult for me when I hit .074.  But I've been pushing through until I got to my current dose. It's been two weeks and I may [...] cutting tomorrow
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:46:10 am »
[...]--wow you are so close to the end--that's fantastic!  I am currently at .14.  How long have you been tapering for?  I was thinking I'd be done by 2/22 (when my liquid expires), but not so sure now.  It seems it gets more difficult cutting towards end?  You are below me in your taper, so I'd love any input.  Was your initial dose .35?  Or were you higher before that?