Coping self-talk

[Ho...]

I actually do fear that I will die before I'm able to get off this crap. I'm not getting any younger ( as no one is also) but with the time that this will take, it's not unrealistic.

I expect I'll be titrating (if I can get to that point) for a very long time. Just has to be that way.

So, while I have and am experiencing some real sx, I dont think the sx will take me. But time may before I can ( if I can) be benzo free.

It's the simple truth.

I was thinking this this morning. I have been having a very bad wave this month. I had bad anxiety last night and today. I was lying in bed thinking this this morn. It's like every day, we wake up hoping that it will be the day where we will feel better. When it's not, we are discouraged. We hope tomorrow will be the day. But this morn, I was thought, "What if I'm living for tomorrow to feel better and I die before then?" I know it's morbid. But, I've been plagued with intrusive thoughts since last night.

I wrote the quoted portion 4 and a half years ago. Kind of a surprise to see it posted again now.

And I just happened to look at this thread since it just popped up on my "list of replies."

Well, here it is, over 4 years later, and believe it or not, I just started on my taper in January 2015.

For me, that thought wasn't an intrusive one at all. It was realistic. There are good reasons why this took so long to get started including that I had to hold on the full dose for a year because klonopin is a crossover for me and not the original benzo.

And I am titrating and will be for a good while. It still does have to be this way, and it's still the simple truth.

Puglover,

I'm glad that what I wrote gives you comfort and helps you.

It has been helping me TREMENDOUSLY! When I am feeling anxious, I go and read the statements. I even took a pic of it so I have it in my phone to look at if I am out. I can't thank you enough!

Puglover,

I'm so glad. Im not sure what it is I said that helps, but seriously whatever works is what works.

I think that overall you're going to be fine. I did read that youre only 40, so you're still young, and that right there is on your side.

I hope this list of coping self-talk will help lessen your anxiety. If you want to print it and keep it with you to refer to it.. maybe put it in your purse. This has helped me a great deal. I hope it helps some of you as well.

Coping Self-talk

The worst thing that can happen is that I’ll panic (and that hasn’t hurt me yet).

Stay with the feeling—don’t fight it.

Just float through it.

The worst thing that could happen is discomfort.

I’ve lived through this before and I’ll make it this time too.

It only feels threatening.

It will pass.

The best thing that can happen is when it’s over I won’t be as afraid of it next time.

I only feel out of control—I’m driving OK, I’m walking OK.

By letting go I am in control.

I may feel out of control, but I’m actually in control.

The way to get out of this is to go through it.

I am not going to die.

I have done this before and I’m going to do it again and nothing bad will happen.

The best thing that can happen is that I’ll be one step closer to recovery.

I'm glad if this sticky has helped some BB members. It really helped me during my taper....and I still refer to this all these years later. I got the original list of statements from my therapist. I'm glad I posted it here because now I can't find what she gave me anywhere.  ::)

• 1 year later...

You may want to change the self talk of "I am not going to die" to "I will live through this, I am safe." The brain doesn't register the negative "not" so it "hears" "I am going to die."  Better to avoid the word all together, esp. when anxious.  Just a thought.

I agree with your opinion on this. The biology of the brains reactions to negative words, even when placed in a "positive" affirmation can have the opposite affect. Best to remove words that trigger autonomic fear response be it conscious or subliminal.

• 7 months later...

I think questioning the quote i am not going to die is true. Interestingly when I said to my daughter's pup "You cant come in my car", she corrected me and said "You know she only hears "come in my car"!

Treat your brain like an innocent puppy and be kind to it and yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I hope this list of coping self-talk will help lessen your anxiety. If you want to print it and keep it with you to refer to it.. maybe put it in your purse. This has helped me a great deal. I hope it helps some of you as well.

Coping Self-talk

The worst thing that can happen is that I’ll panic (and that hasn’t hurt me yet).

Just float through it.

It will pass.

The best thing that can happen is when it’s over I won’t be as afraid of it next time.

I am not going to die.

I have done this before and I’m going to do it again and nothing bad will happen.

Thank you so much! I already feel much better. Will print this off for sure!

Dave.

• 2 years later...

This is classic CBT. I have started writing these types of statements daily. Docs say it takes several months but will help with anxiety, depression etc.

Best to everyone,

Rcristal

Coping Self-talk

Just float through it.

It will pass.

I am not going to die.

I'm glad if this sticky has helped some BB members. It really helped me during my taper....and I still refer to this all these years later. I got the original list of statements from my therapist. I'm glad I posted it here because now I can't find what she gave me anywhere.  ::)

[quote author=Hope1962

link=topic=44839.msg1866971#msg1866971 date=1438640734]

Coping Self-talk

Just float through it.

It will pass.

I am not going to die.

I, too have copied this. It is similar to what I have learned from the legendary Dr. Claire Weeks. Here points are:

Face it

Accept

Float

Let time pass

I have learned to completely relax and let go in the face of panic, pain and fear. Of course it is not easy but it will work.  It is difficult to completely let go in the face of terror but acceptance is a powerful tool.

Best to everyone,

Rcristal

• 9 months later...
This is a great list. I have been having so much anxiety. I'm going to copy these down on my phone so I can refer to them ithroughout the day. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

"I can do this

I can do this"

I also wrote this haiku:

"I will go my Way

and wherever the Way takes me

I will be okay"