Author Topic: Coping self-talk  (Read 53455 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Coping self-talk
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2022, 07:05:22 pm »
I [...] this list of coping self-talk will help lessen your anxiety. If you want to print it and keep it with you to refer to it.. maybe put it in your purse. This has helped me a great deal. I [...] it helps some of you as well.

Coping Self-talk

The worst thing that can happen is that Iíll panic (and that hasnít hurt me yet).
Stay with the feelingódonít fight it.

Just float through it.

The worst thing that could happen is discomfort.

Iíve lived through this before and Iíll make it this time too.

It only feels threatening.

It will pass.

The best thing that can happen is when itís over I wonít be as afraid of it next time.

I only feel out of controlóIím driving OK, Iím walking OK.

By letting go I am in control.

I may feel out of control, but Iím actually in control.

The way to get out of this is to go through it.

I am not going to die.

I have done this before and Iím going to do it again and nothing bad will happen.

The best thing that can happen is that Iíll be one step closer to recovery.

I'm glad if this sticky has helped some BB members. It really helped me during my taper....and I still refer to this all these years later. I got the original list of statements from my therapist. I'm glad I posted it here because now I can't find what she gave me anywhere.  ::)
Quote from: [...

link=topic=44839.msg1866971#msg1866971 date=1438640734]
I [...] this list of coping self-talk will help lessen your anxiety. If you want to print it and keep it with you to refer to it.. maybe put it in your purse. This has helped me a great deal. I [...] it helps some of you as well.

Coping Self-talk

The worst thing that can happen is that Iíll panic (and that hasnít hurt me yet).
Stay with the feelingódonít fight it.

Just float through it.

The worst thing that could happen is discomfort.

Iíve lived through this before and Iíll make it this time too.

It only feels threatening.

It will pass.

The best thing that can happen is when itís over I wonít be as afraid of it next time.

I only feel out of controlóIím driving OK, Iím walking OK.

By letting go I am in control.

I may feel out of control, but Iím actually in control.

The way to get out of this is to go through it.

I am not going to die.

I have done this before and Iím going to do it again and nothing bad will happen.

The best thing that can happen is that Iíll be one step closer to recovery.

I'm glad if this sticky has helped some BB members. It really helped me during my taper....and I still refer to this all these years later. I got the original list of statements from my therapist. I'm glad I posted it here because now I can't find what she gave me anywhere.  ::)

I, too have copied this. It is similar to what I have learned from the legendary Dr. Claire Weeks. Here points are:
Face it
Accept
Float
Let time pass

I have learned to completely relax and let go in the face of panic, pain and fear. Of course it is not easy but it will work.  It is difficult to completely let go in the face of terror but acceptance is a powerful tool.
Best to everyone,
[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.