Author Topic: Coping self-talk  (Read 33200 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Coping self-talk
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 09:09:34 pm »
[...],

I'm glad that what I wrote gives you comfort and helps you.

It has been helping me TREMENDOUSLY! When I am feeling anxious, I go and read the statements. I even took a pic of it so I have it in my phone to look at if I am out. I can't thank you enough!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 09:33:10 pm »
[...],

I'm so glad. Im not sure what it is I said that helps, but seriously whatever works is what works.

I think that overall you're going to be fine. I did read that youre only 40, so you're still young, and that right there is on your side.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:09 am »
Thank you!!!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 05:07:11 am »
You are definitely welcome.

[Buddie]

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »
I [...] this list of coping self-talk will help lessen your anxiety. If you want to print it and keep it with you to refer to it.. maybe put it in your purse. This has helped me a great deal. I [...] it helps some of you as well.

Coping Self-talk

The worst thing that can happen is that Iíll panic (and that hasnít hurt me yet).
Stay with the feelingódonít fight it.

Just float through it.

The worst thing that could happen is discomfort.

Iíve lived through this before and Iíll make it this time too.

It only feels threatening.

It will pass.

The best thing that can happen is when itís over I wonít be as afraid of it next time.

I only feel out of controlóIím driving OK, Iím walking OK.

By letting go I am in control.

I may feel out of control, but Iím actually in control.

The way to get out of this is to go through it.

I am not going to die.

I have done this before and Iím going to do it again and nothing bad will happen.

The best thing that can happen is that Iíll be one step closer to recovery.

I'm glad if this sticky has helped some BB members. It really helped me during my taper....and I still refer to this all these years later. I got the original list of statements from my therapist. I'm glad I posted it here because now I can't find what she gave me anywhere.  ::)

[Buddie]

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:52 pm »
You may want to change the self talk of "I am not going to die" to "I will live through this, I am safe." The brain doesn't register the negative "not" so it "hears" "I am going to die."  Better to avoid the word all together, esp. when anxious.  Just a thought.
I agree with your opinion on this. The biology of the brains reactions to negative words, even when placed in a "positive" affirmation can have the opposite affect. Best to remove words that trigger autonomic fear response be it conscious or subliminal.

[Buddie]

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 06:40:03 am »
I think questioning the quote i am not going to die is true. Interestingly when I said to my daughter's pup "You cant come in my car", she corrected me and said "You know she only hears "come in my car"!

Treat your brain like an innocent puppy and be kind to it and yourself.

[Buddie]

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 07:18:39 pm »
By letting go I am in control, and breath. Everything is OK.

Excellent post
 :thumbsup: