Author Topic: Coping self-talk  (Read 32890 times)

[Buddie]

Coping self-talk
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:58:55 pm »
I [...] this list of coping self-talk will help lessen your anxiety. If you want to print it and keep it with you to refer to it.. maybe put it in your purse. This has helped me a great deal. I [...] it helps some of you as well.

Coping Self-talk

The worst thing that can happen is that Iíll panic (and that hasnít hurt me yet).
Stay with the feelingódonít fight it.

Just float through it.

The worst thing that could happen is discomfort.

Iíve lived through this before and Iíll make it this time too.

It only feels threatening.

It will pass.

The best thing that can happen is when itís over I wonít be as afraid of it next time.

I only feel out of controlóIím driving OK, Iím walking OK.

By letting go I am in control.

I may feel out of control, but Iím actually in control.

The way to get out of this is to go through it.

I am not going to die.

I have done this before and Iím going to do it again and nothing bad will happen.

The best thing that can happen is that Iíll be one step closer to recovery.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Coping self-talk
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »
I [...] this list of coping self-talk will help lessen your anxiety. If you want to print it and keep it with you to refer to it.. maybe put it in your purse. This has helped me a great deal. I [...] it helps some of you as well.

Coping Self-talk

The worst thing that can happen is that Iíll panic (and that hasnít hurt me yet).
Stay with the feelingódonít fight it.

Just float through it.

The worst thing that could happen is discomfort.

Iíve lived through this before and Iíll make it this time too.

It only feels threatening.

It will pass.

The best thing that can happen is when itís over I wonít be as afraid of it next time.

I only feel out of controlóIím driving OK, Iím walking OK.

By letting go I am in control.

I may feel out of control, but Iím actually in control.

The way to get out of this is to go through it.

I am not going to die.

I have done this before and Iím going to do it again and nothing bad will happen.

The best thing that can happen is that Iíll be one step closer to recovery.

Thank you :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 06:35:33 pm »
An excellent list [...].  This one really struck me...  "By letting go I am in control"

Very Zen :)

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »
Yes..it is very Zen. I [...] it helps.  :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:25:59 pm »
You may want to change the self talk of "I am not going to die" to "I will live through this, I am safe." The brain doesn't register the negative "not" so it "hears" "I am going to die."  Better to avoid the word all together, esp. when anxious.  Just a thought.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:26 pm »
I appreciate your input [...]. This list is one that I got from my therapist many years ago. She's a phd  and specializes in anxiety and depression and has done so for 25 years. I have to acquiesce  to her experience and education on this one.

I [...] it's helpful to others. Not everything on it will ring true with everyone. Just take what works for you and disregard the rest.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:44:34 pm »
I actually do fear that I will die before I'm able to get off this crap. I'm not getting any younger ( as no one is also) but with the time that this will take, it's not unrealistic.

I expect I'll be titrating (if I can get to that point) for a very long time. Just has to be that way.

So, while I have and am experiencing some real sx, I dont think the sx will take me. But time may before I can ( if I can) be benzo free.

It's the simple truth.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 08:11:20 pm »
My anxiety is creeping back stronger so this was perfect to print out. I'm going to write it on little cards.

Thanks [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:27:21 pm »
Wish I was more into Zen/Buddism stuff. Know many who are and others who are just religious overall. It does seem to help them.I do generally do some self-talk altho it's been unrelated to my current situation.

I'm just very resolution based, and used to doing concrete problem solving to obtain that resolution. This is a whole new problem for me, and my anxiety comes totally from not being able yet to get to where I believe resolution is: titration.

But I'm not meaning to take away from concepts that are helpful and give [...] to anyone. I actually think being on this klonopin has contribute to a depressed attitude that I never had before. Not really liking this K overall. Would go back to Xanax in a flash if I thought I could actually get off it successfully.

I hear not only is it hard to do generally(get off Xanax), but even titration from it is just "real hard."
It's the idea of carrying around those bottles also that puts me off. Then to not succeed would be too " intense."

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »
[...],

I'm sorry you are having a such a rough time.  This may or may not be helpful to you.  It's got a buddhist/Zen bend to it, but in a way that might lighten your load.  I think there is a lot offered in the practice of meditation and the philosophy in the practice of buddhism and Zen and I am probably the furthest person from religion as one can get. If any of this suits you, then good.  If it doesn't, then discard it. 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=14100.0

:)

[...]