Anyone use melatonin for sleep

[JC...]

Hi.

I take 5 to 10 mg of melatonin for sleep. It looks like it mess up my sleep more than helping now - as I have taken it regardless if it works or not for a good few months. It suppose to make me sleep longer but it does not look like it does other than messing up my time.

Any suggestion?

Regards

JC

I've taken it. Back when i researched it before using it, i read that .5 - 1.0 mg was the most effective dosage. 5-10 seems high, but maybe new research has come out?

[28...]

Maybe take a look in the other medications section or maybe alternatives.

i have seen a lot of posts about this on BB, someone can give you input.

For me I know I dont have a melatonin issue and my sleep is improving bit by bit over many many months.

Wishing you the best!

melo x

it seems like it takes a long time to work, it relaxes me but doesn't make me sleepy..and I have been having some nightmarish dreams..people dying etc...not gonna take it tonight and see how I do. i'll just take 2 l theanines instead. if that don't work then 3 mgs of remeron :P

JC201101,

I tried Melatonin and it actually interfered with my sleep (and gave me a bad taste in my mouth).  I read that usually Melatonin only works for people who are Melatonin-deficient (which is mostly the elderly). 

At any rate, I hope your sleep returns soon.

fg

Hi.

I take 5 to 10 mg of melatonin for sleep. It looks like it mess up my sleep more than helping now - as I have taken it regardless if it works or not for a good few months. It suppose to make me sleep longer but it does not look like it does other than messing up my time.

Any suggestion?

Regards

JC

It's not surprising that it messes up your sleep.

Melatonin affects your circadian rhythm. Taking it in an inappropriate way is not good.

I don't see why it would make you sleep longer. If you're not taking a sustained release/extended release version.

Melatonin supposedly has a short half life. So I don't get the 'sleeping longer' effect.

Why did you take it, regardless if it worked ?

You're probably better off discontinuing that product.

I can't use it daily either.

Now I am trying to get it off as well but have to do it slowly as well.

When one is desperate, one will try everything including hurting oneself.

I have tried Melatonin and it worked for me. I believe it is safe for daily use. I am not taking it now but I most likely will take it towards the end of my taper.

My tablets contain 5 mg but I have read the most effective dosage is below 5 mg.

[97...]

I did a lot of experimenting before settling on taking one 3 mg. Melatonin and two of the generic Unisom gel caps (the gel caps, not the pills/caplets, which didn't work for me). It helped for 3-4 hours at first, but now as I am nearing four months off I tend to sleep from about 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. I think I could sleep a bit later bit I had oral surgery two weeks ago and a tooth was extracted and I got a "dry socket," so the lingering pain wakes me up about 5 a.m. when the Advil has worn off. Sometimes I can take some Advil if I wake a bit before 5 and can drift off until about 7.

Sweet dreams!

Tucson

Here is an article on it.  Apparently it requires a prescription in Germany:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

fg

Going through that article, it still seems reasonably safe for three months but no data is available beyond that.

By the way, it has been made available over the counter recently in Germany in various strengths from 0.5 to 5 mg but the XR tablets still require a prescription.

I take 4.5 mg of melatonin each night. After I get off the computer and ready to go to bed I take it, read a little and I'm falling asleep before you know it. I occasionally have a difficult night but I think that goes with anything. I was taking 3 mg and that wasn't enough, 6 mg was too much but 4.5 works exceedingly well. You may need to experiment to find what works for you.

[8a...]
Actually, I take CVS brand liquid Melatonin 3MG and that stuff knocks me off my feet. I plan on actually cutting my night time doseage because my sleep has been phenomenal. I take it 10 mins after I take my xanax and valium and I am asleep in less than 20 mins later. TRY IT!!

JC,

I have used melatonin for a year now for sleep and have great results.  Here is a very good reseach article that stated that it has helped alot of other who are in benzo wd also.

I is called:  Facilitation of Benzodiazepine Discontinuation by Melatonin

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/159/20/2456 

Hope this helps you make a decision on whether to continue or not taking melitonin.

Hugs!

Believe

Thank You! That's very informative.

Unfortunately most of the melatonin studies are carried out with elderly patients and I'm not yet 30.