back pain what meds can I take?

[ho...]

I am bent over with back spasm. I took Aleve and that helps.But not completely.  Im going to the orthopedic doctor tomorrow. They may prescribe an injection. What pain meds should I be careful of and will the shot or pain meds have an effect on me like benzos? Thanks

HoneyM

I don't know of any pain meds to be particularly leery of, HoneyM.  Even people who have had a reaction to steriods, recover after a few days.  If I were in the kind of pain you describe, I'd probably take whatever they've got for it, as long as it wasn't a benzo.  Hope you feel better soon.

Try Flexeril.  It works wonders for most and doesn't affect the same receptors as benzos do. 

It didn't work for me, and neither did Xanaflex, which also works for most people. 

Good luck. 

I have chronic back pain and when it flares up really bad I take Aleve, Ibuprofen and Tylenol (all at once)...not sure if this is okay or not but it seems to help and it's got to be better than the methadone and percocet I used to take for it.

I also use a very large heating pad too and that usually helps. I would recommend trying this first.

I hope you feel better.

Thanks to everyone,

Just came back from the Dr. He gave me tylenol 3 . That should help and I am going for an MRI .

I told him I cant take any benzo. He was very nice to me. I will be ok now. Just need to get back to work soon. Happy New Year to you all ! Love HoneyM XXX

@[ A...]

http://www.safemedication.com/safemed/PharmacistsJournal/CanYouDoubleUponPainKillers.aspx

I am on prednisone and will probably get a steroid injection IN MY FREAKING HIP today.  Yikes!  I just asked the forum a question about this and am awaiting a reply.  The ER gave me 60 mgs of Prednisone a day, but I haven't taken any yet today, because I might get a corticosteroid injection in 4 hours at my dr's appointment.  Also on 5-10 mgs of Vicodin every 4-6 hours (short course-- narcotic pain killers don't do much for me).  I was just diagnosed with hip bursitis (non-cyst kind) yesterday at the ER (woke up with sudden, intense pain out of nowhere) and am on crutches, so I agree with Beeper--with this kind of pain, I'd take whatever they give, with the exception of benzos (they don't relief pain anyways).  If I do get an injection in my hip, I'm asking for the STRONGEST painkiller they can give me, in addition to a lidocaine injection before the actual steroid injection... I know most are already combined, but it didn't work before!  I had an injection  in my foot for bone spurs and received neither, and an hour later was in agonizing pain, and never again will I do that without a post-med.  And the Vicodin I have isn't gonna do anything for that kind of pain.  I've seen the needle--it's 6'' long and there's no way I'd be able to get through the pain.  I'm already on crutches for the bursitis, so... Really, I don't care what they give me.   

What kind of back pain?  Spasms, aching, etc?  It depends on what kind of pain you have before you use ice or heat, or alternate both.  Before I went to the ER yesterday when I woke up, the hip pain hit me the night before at 11 PM.  I took 600 mgs of Advil and used a heating pad and went to bed, figuring it would go away--didn't know what it was, thought it was a muscle tear.  Well, guess what?  Heating is a BIG no-no for my bursitis, and I used the (automatic turn-off at a certain temp) heating pad all night and surely regretted it in the morning.  Since then I've been told to ice it 20 mins once and hour, every hour.  This is rather hard to do, of course.  I only have one container that hold ice that well w/out leaking, and it doesn't re-freeze in 20 minutes, of course.  But it helps immensly, even more so than the Vicodin. 

I have a plethora of back problems, and they're all new, and I'm only 31.  Back spasms, spinal pain, spinal degeneration, sciatica, and scoliosis.  My GP knows I'm tapering from Klonopin and told me to take 600-900 mgs of Advil/Ibuprofen 3x a day.  I generally only take it once.  Still waiting for that darn MRI!  Got approved, via my doc and my insurance company.  I guess to many people are on holiday right now to schedule my appointment- gaah!

Aleve has it's own set of problems... Higher risk of organ damage via bleeding, heart risks, etc.