Author Topic: Healing my chronic muscle pain/inflammation thru antinflammatory diet  (Read 23885 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Healing my chronic muscle pain/inflammation thru antinflammatory diet
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
Thank all of you  for the wonderful wealth of information!!! I saved all these links to my computer to read at my leisure.
Thank you so much,
S
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 02:06:30 am »
Dear [...],
I have a lot of inflammatory arthritis issues. I read this thread the other day and looked at the website you recommended and bought 2 books and a vitamix blender today. So, as you can tell you inspired me. Any advice? I am [...] to ease into this with the morning smoothie. I was wondering if these drinks spiked your blood sugar at all and I was also wondering if you knew anything about Interstitial Cystitis which is an inflammatory bladder illness. I have this and have to be very careful about what I drink.
Thanks in advance. I was going to PM you but I figured we are all here to share our experiences. I am having a tired kind of day so I hope this makes sense.

I am so happy for your healing and success.
LOVE, :smitten:
[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »
HI [...]
Thanks for your nice post!  I'm so glad you saw this thread and hope that the diet helps you! Actually I have IC myself but it has been in complete remission since I discontinued benzos. But I am very familiar with the IC diet, I used to follow it myself, and this one can easily be adapted for IC, mainly by avoiding whichever fruits and bevs may trigger bladder symtpoms, but you may find that it eventually calms your bladder enough that you can have some of those things that you would normally avoid.

Actually, no, I haven't felt any bllood sugar spikes--if anything, just the opposite, probably because my smoothies are very heavy on the greens and not a lot of fruit. I think this is one of the reasons I've had so few issues with hunger and cravings, because I'm not dealing with spikes and drops in my blood sugar since I'm not eating any simple carbs and processed foods (breads, english muffins, etc.). YOu might like more fruit in your smoothies to begin with, and then slowly increase the amount of greens and reduce the fruit as you adapt to the taste. Or add a couple of dates to make them sweeter. I make mine with a lot of liquid and not much frozen fruit so they turn out more juicelike and easier to drink than your typical fruit ice and milk based smoothie.  There are videos on youtube on how to use your vitamix and you can google for green smoothie recipes.

As for advice, it was easier for me to ease into the diet, by spending about two weeks phasing things out--first dairy, then meats, then processed foods and gluten, no big deal if it takes you more time than that.  .Also, if you fall off like I did and succumb to a craving by going thru the drivethru for a burger hhaha, just get back in the saddle and try to do better next time. THe longer I'm on the diet the easier I can manage the few cravings--now before I head out for fast food I always make another green smoothie and then I don't want a burger anymore.

I LOVE to cook, so used cooking (and eating) extravagent recipes as therapy to help with the cog fog and cope with other symptoms during my wd and recovery, but when I started this diet I kind of had to separate myself from the kitchen in a way, and came up with five or six different very healthy vegan gluten free recipes for meals that I use over and over again and can keep on call in the fridge--mainly pots of beans and a pot of brown rice--so I have a go to food that's very filling--which helps a lot especially during the first month of the diet when you're kind of confused and overwhelmed by what to eat. 
The only legumes in phase 1 of this diet are mung beans and lentils, but I don't like either, so I just continued with others that I do like and didn't seem to have a problem with--split peas, blackeye peas, pintos and red beans. I've chosen not to use processed soy products like tofu, etc., and that may be something you want to avoid b/c soy is often reported by IC patients to be a bladder trigger.  I find I'm getting adequate protein without using those products.

Hope this helps. I look forward to hearing from you ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:07:37 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 01:15:04 pm »
Here's a more direct link to the diet than the one I put in the first post in this thread:
http://www.wholelifenutrition.net/id16.html
and here's the list of phase 1 foods
http://www.wholelifenutrition.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/phase1.pdf
I never really did phases 2 or 3. After 1 month on Phase 1, I slowly started adding foods back in one at a time, waiting three days between each addition to see what my reaction was.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:31:31 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 01:17:44 pm »

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »
[...]
I've heard that the diet in the book called Solving the IC Puzzle is basicallly an anti-inflammtory diet and follows the same principles as this one--haven't read it myself but it may be a good resource for you if your IC is still active. I know of at least one person who has recently seen a reduction in symptoms using the diet in that book.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »
I sent you a message earlier but it apparently didn't post. Thank you for all your information. I am looking forward to getting my books and vitamix- hopefully within a week. I wanted to ask you about your diagnosis of IC. Was it AFTER you were on a Benzo? or before? I was given Elavil when I was diagnosed with IC and when I c/t off of that I was given Klonapin :( I am only off of it for two months and I feel a lot better, but of course not quite back to normal.
What was your original goal in starting this diet? What has been the hardest part? Is it something you plan to stay on for awhile or is this a short term commitment? Thanks again for all your great information. I appreciate it!
LOVE, :smitten:
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 10:03:44 pm »
Hi [...]-
I'm excited for you to get your blender. You're gonna love it!! :yippee:

I had used ativan sporadically, not daily, in the months before my IC first started up. But then my bladder sxs got so bad (didn't know it was my bladder causing all the pain at the time) that I was afraid to ingest anything so I rarely used the ativan and it was a year before I was dxd and prescribed some meds (elavil, pyridium, elmiron). Later on after my dx is when I started using xanax regularly. I can't really say that benzos caused my IC, but amazing that as soon as I stopped using them all my bladder pain went away! So who knows. I certainly think using them may have prevented me from going into remission before I did. All the stress coping techniques I've learned since [...] off I credit for keeping me in remission. My bladder is fine now, good as new!

A relative told me about the diet and I started making modifications to what I eat the very same day back in September and within a week or two started on the smoothies when my vitamix arrived. My number one reason is for the muscle  pain and inflammation that has been ongoing and increasing in severity since I first began reducing my dose in March of 09 (cut my dose by 50% overnight and within a week or two began having severe muscle pain). Added bonus was I lost the 20# I had gained!! I'm [...] this new way of eating!

So in my case I am planning to continue vegan and gluten free for as long as I feel necessry. If that means that I must follow it forever to manage my pain, then so be it...I've been to the brink of losing my sanity with the pain and really the only way to keep from going there again is for me to continue on the diet as long as it takes. I won't lie to you, while I am very outspoken about my diet these days and excited about the relief I'm getting, I am also alternating thru the 5 stages of grief as I come to terms with my fate in regards to what foods I can and can't have and that this may be a forever thing for me. While I did follow the IC diet well when I had to, I never really accepted that I was sick, and how important diet was for my longterm health. What can I say, I was young and living a very fast life, and couldn't be bothered with pain, at the time it was just a serious annoyance. But this muscle pain I have been dealing with since my withdrawal has been disabling, life changing, life ruining. I have to take it very seriously, I don't have a choice if I want to save my life.

I am not yet 100% pain free--close, but not quite there, and I still have flare ups--but they are definitely tied to food so I still have to watch what I eat very closely and I am still determining triggers. Just figured out that beer causes me tons of pain in my ab muscles.
The hardest part? Trying not to eat hot pizza when it's in front of me--so far I have failed that test three times lol

Really, I can't tell you how much this diet has changed my life. Back in Sept before I started the diet, I couldn't make plans for after work, the weekends, or even next summer, because I simply hurt too bad. I was in a really bad place, as depressed as I've ever been and seeing no way out of my situation with the pain. Then came the diet. Then pain relief. My life is back on track now and I can make plans for the future!. It's a great feeling, but overwhelming sometimes--you'll see as you get farther out in your recovery that with feeling better comes more responsbility for yourself and more expectations for yourself, as things that were formerly not possibly suddenly seem possilbe. I flew across the country to see a friend for New Year's--over 12 hrs traveling each way--I would never have been able to do that before I started this diet. Now, what's next?

How long have you had IC, [...]? Are you still very symptomatic? Taking any meds for it at all?
[...]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:32:12 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

--Update--
I'm a little over 33 months off.
I have not experienced a pain flare up in over two months, due to my success with this diet :yippee: i can even cheat a little here and there without much consequence, but I definitely pay with some pain and swelling if I cheat too frequently. Dairy seems to be my worst offender, so I try to avoid that at all costs, as well as processed foods with long lists of ingredients. I think the further I get away from all of this, my tolerance to my trigger foods will be a little higher, but I fully intend to stick as close to a vegan whole foods diet as possible, because it definitely works for me. It saved my life.

For those far out from their last dose and still suffering badly with the muscle pain, i can't enourage you strongly enough to try an antiinflammatory whole foods plant based diet. You  may not have to eat this way forever, but try it just as long as it takes to get you to a good symptom free place.

[...]

[Buddie]

Hi [...]....have def interest in all of this....partly for myself but also my Mom who has been on Prednisone for over a year now for the PMR....my Dad does most of the cooking now so this could be a huge challenge for them....we will see.

As for me....off the Klonopin now just over a month and a half, have Fibro and OA.   Would love to keep in touch as I am very serious about this change in diet.

Thanks again for sharing your journey so far.

BB.