Author Topic: Healing my chronic muscle pain/inflammation thru antinflammatory diet  (Read 23924 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Healing my chronic muscle pain/inflammation thru antinflammatory diet
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 01:05:57 pm »
Hello [...],

I have been benzofree for just over 2 years and yet am still struggling greatly with pain issues.  So much of what you have said in your post here are common to my experience.  I was very active here at the forum for much of the past 2 years, and yet when I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in July of 2010 I had to start considering that something else might be going on with me and I became a little more afraid (cautious) about posting.  MRI's HAVE shown that I have inflammatory issues, and because I have psoriasis on my hands (and a little on my knees and elbows) the rheumatologist diagnosed the inflammation as PA.  I am not certain if he is right (there are no lab tests that can determine a PA diagnosis) but I cannot ignore the fact that I have active inflammation.

I do [...] that the incredible stress on my body from the klonopin withdrawal (the nerve and muscle pain that lead to so many nights of no sleep for almost 2 years) has certainly exacerbated (if not caused) the inflammatory issues that I am now trying to fight.  Over the past 2 years, I have tried eating gluten and dairy free...but continually have "fallen off the wagon".  I have done enough reading to KNOW that diet has huge implications on inflammatory problems, and yet even knowing what I know I have found it difficult to put into practice.  I have felt a great deal of shame over not being able to fight and WIN over the powers of addiction to the things I KNOW are not good for me (sugar is my worst nemesis). 

I know that I am going to need help if I am going to be able to fight my issues by means of diet.  The standard medical approach to treating issues like PA is through drug therapy, and ALL of the drugs carry with them possible severe side effects.  I was told a year and a half ago that I should start Enbrel injections...and yet I knew at the time that my sensitive CNS would not be able to weather the powerful effects of the drug.  (I could not even use the steroid ointment that was prescribed for my psoriasis, as it made my withdrawal symptoms so much worse). I am now at a crucial point of decision, and what you have posted here (plus watching TED talk that [...] posted of a doctor who was able to overcome the crippling effects of MS through changing what she ate) have given added impetus to continue to fight my food "addictions".   

This week I hope to be meeting with the woman behind this website:  http://www.yourhealingdiet.com/ .  I am fortunate that she is here in Austin, Texas and that she has answered my inquiry regarding a consultation.  I am feeling that time is running out for me, in terms of fighting the damage that has been/is being done to my body.  I am thankful that during this early morning when I could not fall asleep, I came to the forum and found your post here while looking for those encouraging "Success Stories" that we all so desperately need.  Thank you for taking the time to post.

~[...] :smitten:

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »
Hi [...]
 I was [...] that by putting my story out there I would hear from others who are still dealing with similar problems with pain issues this far out from the last dose! I can definitely use some support myself for my pain issues and in following the diet, so I'm thrilled to hear from you and look forward to comparing notes on our pain symptoms and how it all developed for you -- timeline, areas of pain, what helps, etc.

I looked at the link you posted above, and it does sound like that dietician encourages the use of a plant-based diet similar to my own for  inflammatory conditions, including psoriasis/psoriatic arhtritis and other types of arthritis. Hopefully she will provide the support you need to get on the road to feeling better! :) It  helps to have someone in your corner! FOr me a commitment of 30 days was doable, and seeing results at just 3 weeks made it worth it and easier to stick with. I think the most important thing I read on that  website is that your diet doesn't require perfection to reap the benefits. ;)

I'm so glad you saw my post and responded. :smitten: I too had reached a crucial point of decision about my pain and how to go forward in treating it, and it's obvious that you and I have struggled similarly over the standard medical treatment protocols in terms of how such things as steroids, etc., could negatively affect our recoveries.

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 04:35:54 pm »
Thank you for posting yoursuccess story [...], this gives so many people so much hope. Incredible you are indeed!

Thank you [...] :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 04:31:27 am »
[...],
Thanks so much for posting this and responding to my other thread in regards to this inflammation process. This is great information.  All those problems and points of pain on the back and neck are exactly what I feel like I am having.  I actually had just started researching anti-inflammatory diets within the last week and got a book called the Anti-Inflammation Diet by Jessica Black.  I have not really started the diet yet but have started to incorporate some anti-inflammatory foods and have been currently on a no carb/very low carb diet for some time now.  I am getting ready to do an anti-inflammatory one full out soon though.   I am def. going to take a close look at the link you posted and will probs end up doing the actual diet you did since you had wonderful success from it. Its great to see you had all the same problems as me at some point and actually came out of it and are feeling okay now.  Its so hard to imagine that in my current state.  I feel like Im never gonna beat this. Been trying everything possible for so long and can't seem to make any progress!  Again, thanks for sharing this.  Hope you continue to feel good and heal. Hopefully I'll have some updates and positive results to share and add to this thread in a few months.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 05:34:07 am »
You're very welcome, Andy! :) I'm glad to help and hope you have the same good results that I have seen. ANd more than anything, I hope that you can begin to mitigate some of the damage your wd has caused you long before I did at over 2 yrs out.

I'm also glad you are already making changes to your diet. I too phased into mine, and that definitely makes going into it a lot easier.  I spent about two weeks phasing things out of my diet, giving away the "bad" stuff that was still in my cabinets, and eating some carnivore meals for one last time.

I have had slip ups here and there, but I pay with pain, so I'm seeing that this is most likely going to be a lifelong change for me.  I'm pretty pissed that my drug use and withdrawal has caused it all, but what can you do, I'm just glad to have finally found something that helps.

Please keep me posted here. [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 05:55:43 am »
[...]- :)
How are you doing? How did your consult with the RD go last week?
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 04:41:16 am »
Hi [...],

I am working on slowly changing my diet...I have already changed a few things (snack stuff) and am trying to cross over to much healthier eating. I too still have the muscle pain/stiffness, twitches in my body. This seems to be the last thing to go and just wants to keep hanging on to my body.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and support. It means a lot to know that you have come thru so much and are fully healed now, including your muscles!! Yippie for you my friend! Can't wait for the day that I can say the same. I know diet plays the most important part. I am trying hard to come on board and change my diet. I have to admit, it's very hard for me and I am struggling. I was raised in the south (country) and you know how we eat----Paula Deen all the way! However, I am really trying hard, as I do want this muscle stuff to be gone forever!

Stay in touch.....Hugs

SLynn

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 12:17:14 am »
Interesting food blog post by  woman who turned vegan and gluten free and is now succesfully managing her rheumatoid arthritis!
http://phoo-d.com/2011/04/28/a-diagnosis-becoming-vegan-and-gluten-free/

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 12:25:37 am »
Inflammatory Factor of FOods Tool:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/105/2
Enter the food and this site will show you its inflammation factor. THe lower the number, the more inflammatory. I entered lowfat yogurt, it's mildly inflammatory at  --71.
In contrast, sweet potato is moderately anti-inflammatory at 164.

For treating inflammation thru diet, I try to stay with the foods that have high positive IF's as best I can.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »
Hi [...], I hope all is well with you sweetie, just read a post you wrote saying that you had a MRI and it showed you had inflammation, can you tell me what MRI you had done, I had one on the Brain in June it was perfect , but I requested to my Dr for one on my Neck and back . thank you

Love Laura
xoxooxo