Help!! Restoril substitute for klonopin

[ma...]

Been on klonopin/restoril(30mg nightly) for 10 years..... since january 2011, my klonopin has been (.5mgx3 daily)..... I JUST RAN OUT OF KLONOPIN

I AM 6 DAYS EARLY ON MY REFILL.... I have a month supply of restoril... CAN I SUBSTITUTE RESTORIL FOR SIX DAYS IN THE DAY TIME JUST TO AVOID PHYSICAL WITHDRAWAL?

what does 30mg restoril=klonpin mg?

THANKS, I AM IN EXTREME DURESS, I HAVE A CARING DOCTOR BUT HE HAS HIS LIMITS

Hello maury,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I'm not very familiar with restoril but I'm sure many of our members are. Hopefully they will chime in very soon to help you. Is there no way you can get more klonopin from you doctor?

thanks... I have two refills on my script' but i came in a week early for the first time in years... and i have to wait 6 days... my doc already no..and i don't want to push him because he's always been there for me...

i was hoping that taking restoril in the daytime for get me thru my anxiety... but i'm realizing now if i just gut it out until evening time, i can just take the restoril earlier... just to get some benzo into my system....

will that work? i think i need to take a deep breath and not overanalyze what may happen--palpitations... seizures... been on this a decade and rarely abuse, but this time my doc drew the line...

ADVICE/SIMILAR EXPERIENCES?  THANKS SO MUCH

MY QUESTIO

Hi Maury, welcome aboard

The equivelancy between Restoril and Klonopin is .5 mg klonopin is about equal to 20mg Restoril, but the other difference is the half life of Klonopin is about twice as long. I don't think it would be a good idea to "gut it out" since dropping even a very small amount could cause symptoms. It would be best to get with your doctor and explain your predicament and ask him for a temporary refil of klonopin, he should understand.

If nothing else you could substitute the Ristoril for the lack of Klonopin but try to keep the equivalent the same as you're used to so you can avoid symptoms if possible. Again, I would call your doctor though.

I agree with Starbird. I think you need to speak to your doctor. If he knows you've run out of klonopin, he knows how serious it would be for you to stop taking it abruptly. You really need to speak to your doctor.

Thanks for your feedback.... My PCP is a very busy doc with a huge practice... he knows the ramifications of what I'll go through.... but i went thru 90 .5mg in 17 days instead of 28.... i sent two emails and spoke to one of his half dozen secretaries... a call back was requested.. i messed up.. but i will say that taking 60 mgs of restoril@2pm has chilled my physical symptoms for today... and as i have two refills waiting, i know i wont have to beg to get a new script...

plus my doc, who's a high priced NYC, charges me peanuts since i lost my insurance....

two emails and a phone call-- he's got the message.... I'll just hope that 60 mg restoril/w a Soma @noon and another 30 mg restoril at bedtime will keep the demons at bay... it's amazing how freaked out i was when he rejected my overtures for a five day bridge to get to the next refill.... but luckily i had this unused restoril bottle...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP/ADVICE.... anybody else who wants to weigh in is welcome.... HOW MUCH DAMAGE CAN 90 MGS OF RESTORIL for five more days do, anyway?

well my doc did call me...and said he can't overwrite and that we agreed in january that i would not go back to my 3mg/day 10 year old habit.... he reminded me that i was able to drop to 1.5mg a day for the past 11 months without issues...and that jumping to 2.5mg for 18 days will leave more klonopin in my system... he said the anxiousness and palpitations will come, but seizures are rare...

he told me that benadryl is something i should take until my refill goes thru in six days...

any thoughts?

Benadryl has a slight sedating effect for some people and I am one of those who has used it to help me get to sleep while tapering.  It isn't a substitute for Klonopin, though. 

Maury

Please take SOMETHING In the benzo family. My friends husband ran out of his, and decided to go to a rehab. Doc lined up a bed for him, avail in 5 days. He died before he got there from his c/t.  Dont mess around with  running out of your klon. OK?  Its a serious thing. You dont want to "gut it out."  Find a way to get a benzo and then begin a slow, safe, sane taper.

thanks, what am i gonna do if my doc says no for five days? go to er and lie and spend $$ on er costs... cop on street? 

if i bring in empty bottle, i mess up a relationship with my doctor of a decade who does more than write pill scripts...

i have restoril... that's my benzo sub for klonopin for five days....

i also have 5mg ambien..... my plan that worked today was 60mg restoril/one Soma(which i take for an arm/shoulder loaded with metal) @2pm.....        another restoril@ 9pm....

basically is 90-120 mgs of restoril(which i also have taken on and off for years) TOO MUCH FOR FIVE DAYS..

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES... I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT ALONG WITH ANY MORE ADVICE..

Maury

if you have an empty bottle before you should have, you REALLY want to get off and stay off. Abusing benzos is bad news, but of course you know this. Don't mean to scold but want you to be healthy. Let us know how things go.