vision info from my optometrist, eye pain,eye pressure, floaters.

[we...]

Vision information from my optometrist.

I asked my optometrist about some phenomena that people are reporting here. About the floater, she said there were three types of floater, so one type is the random noise from the wall of the retina. She said that if nerves were firing randomly, people could see the black spots, especially when looking at a white wall, or at a high contrast background where they would be more noticeable. The other type of floaters, are because of the blood vessels that are located in front of the retina. Again, it is the same idea, in that light goes through the blood vessels before hitting the retina, and so we see swirly patterns like blood vessels, and if we were firing signals at a faster rate as in withdrawal, these would be more easily seen.  The third type of floaters, are the ones in the vitreous humor of the eyes, where the gelatin starts to break down at certain areas. She said that the first two types could go away if it was a question of nerves firing to easily. The third type of floaters, the one in the gelatinous part would not go away.

I also asked her about some of the pain that people are reporting around the eyes. Again, she said there could be three causes. He said that benzodiazepines can cause the eyes to become dry. She said that when this happens, people report this as eye pressure. She said that eyedrops, like fake tears could relieve that. She suggested one drop in each eye before going to bed. Another type of eye pain has to do with the sinuses. Because of the rebound effect on the sinuses when people come up benzodiazepines, the sinuses can become inflamed and put pressure on the eyes. Finally, she said that the least common cause could be the nerve in the back of the eyes called the trigeminal nerve. She said that this nerves seems to be implicated in migraines, and that if it is too sensitive it can cause pain felt as if it's coming from behind the eyes or even around the eyes. So people who have a predisposition to migraines may get this. She said that people who have fibromyalgia also get this.

She also said that she thought benzodiazepines should be outlawed except for “one-of” type procedures.  I told her that I would post this on the support group, she seemed pleased.

Stick with your optometrist.  She's one of the few people I've heard of in the medical profession that will even discuss side-effects of benzo withdrawal.  Most doctors seem to dismiss symptoms.

Hi Wellness:

Thank you for this post. I have had many eye symptoms and this helps me with most of them. Your optometrist sounds like a very smart person.

I used to have the spots, and now just the floaters. Thanks for the info. It is nice to hear a doctor speak out about the harm benzos cause. Thanks for posting this!

Stick with your optometrist.  She's one of the few people I've heard of in the medical profession that will even discuss side-effects of benzo withdrawal.  Most doctors seem to dismiss symptoms.

ITA ;) thnx for passing this on!

I also saw my eye doctor for symptoms that were disturbing (blurred/distorted vision) and of all the medical professionals I have seen during this nightmare, he was the only one who acknowledged the horrors of benz w/d.  He told me to not bother getting the prescription in my glasses changed until I had been off the drug for 18 months as benzos effect  the muscle in the eye that controls fine focus.  A/D's do the same thing.

Maybe eye doctors don't have a vested interest in the drug so they aren't afraid to reveal the truth.

Wellness - I would have loved to see this post 4 months ago, when I developed horrid eye pressure, eyeball pain, dryness, tearing and floaters.  I got so scared, then someone here told me that happened to them for a few months, which put my mind at ease, and as painful and frustrating as it was, it slowly lessened and eventually went away.  It was so bizzare how it came out of know where.  Everything you just posted really puts my mind at ease as to why I experienced this eye pain.  I also felt it was from my sinuses and I would get paind on the top of my nose too along with the eyeball pain.

It's info. like this that is so much appreciated!  Thanks Wellness!

Thanks, Wellness. I have had some of these eye symptoms and was wondering if it was w/d or my new glasses. I can go to the optometrist and check if it gets worse, but really helpful to know. Not nice to have them - but good to know.

Thanks, Wellness. I have had some of these eye symptoms and was wondering if it was w/d or my new glasses. I can go to the optometrist and check if it gets worse, but really helpful to know. Not nice to have them - but good to know.

Thank yu so much wellness for the help here... Just wandering did the floaters go away on its own... I really hope it did for you..`

mishi

My vision issues were the first to show up as a tolerance withdrawal symptom. I went to optometry, opthemology, etc.  They actually tested my tear production rate and it was less than 1/2 of what it was supposed to be. I tried every kind of eye drop and nothing worked.  I got the Vision Builder software (excellent) prism glasses (useless) for convergence insufficiency. Finally went on Restasys and it worked for the dryness.  Now that I'm off Ativan, I hardly need the Restasys.  Something to ask EYE DOC about. He seems smart. Wish they were all this open and knowledgable. There, some ideas for you.