Electrical Buzzing noise in the Head

[bl...]

Hi All

I am slowly titrating off Diazepam and developed Tinnitus about 10 months ago. This has now become a constant electrical buzzing noise in the top of my head, definitely coming from the brain. It is relentless and is driving me nuts. Does anyone else experience anything like this and what could it be?

Thanks

B

It sounds like "brain zaps." It's just the chemicals in your brain reacting to the w/d. It's also common in antidepressant w/d. It goes away. Annoying, but temporary.

Yeah the brain zaps from SSRIs are bad but I could have never imagined the insane nerve pain and electrical zapping that comes from benzo withdrawal!

[7e...]

Hey blower,

I don't call it "brain zaps." I call it "brain buzz." I c/t'd off Valium 74 days ago and it hit me (along with d/p and d/r) on Day 16, about the time the Valium in my system got pretty low. The d/p and d/r finally went away at about Day 46 or 47, but as I sit here writing I can feel the brain buzz just flowing from my brain.

I had "brain zaps" at first, little popping sounds in my brain, but they didn't last long. The "brain buzz" is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've asked people who've been off longer than me if they've had this and most of them seem to. The average time that it seems to begin to fade is about 4 to 6 months off. Mine isn't as intense or as annoying as it was the first six weeks or so, but it's there nonetheless. It keeps me awake at night, just buzzing away. It's there all the time, with the exception of when I'm washing my hair in the shower and, on occasion, if I really get into a good TV show or movie.

I hate to tell you this, but it's probably just going to buzz and buzz and buzz even after you come off the Valium. If my "brain buzz" would go away I would only have relatively minor symptoms left. But as long as it's here, I'm dealing with constant low-grade anxiety and chronic insomnia, both caused by the "brain buzz."

I'm sorry I don't have better news, other than the fact that it DOES (I hope!) eventually pass.

Tucson

[7e...]

One other question, blower:

Your signature line says you've come down from 20 to 6 mg of Valium. How much are you cutting each time, and how often are you making cuts? Once you get down below 10 mg. it becomes a lot more difficult, so making cuts of 0.5 mg. every 3 weeks or so is generally the best way to go. I'm curious how much you're cutting and how often...

Tucson

I remember I had a brain "buzz" about a year ago or longer... and it freaked me out! My brain felt like a vibrator was up against it for about 2-3 seconds. And then my vision went crazy for a second. I had NO idea what it was back then... of course, it made my anxiety shoot up, and I'd call my Dr. he'd tell me its nothing to worry about and its probably anxiety. (This was before I was benzo wise). I believed him and started my ativan again (the evil cycle).

I bet this was b/c I weened off of my ativan too fast back then.

I truly believe I've been through benzo w/d LOTS in the past 4 years... my Dr. always wrote it off as anxiety. I'd believe him of course. I never put 2 and 2 together until a few months ago...

This gives me hope though... b/c most symptoms, if I have one... I no longer think I'm dying of some strange disease anymore, which is great! Which means I'm no longer a hypochondriac. lol. Anxiety is low b/c of this as well! But the w/d s/x still suck.

It won't surprise me if I get more weird s/x down the road... but I bet ya I've had them in the past. =) And I won't be as worried. Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes me feel like I'm not crazy. =)

Happy Healing!

Not sure if this is related, but I've been hearing a continual buzz that I relate to that sound-or lack of sound- after coming out of a rock concert.  I'm 2 months into my taper, and it has gotten slightly louder over time.

In other situations, I get Head Zings.  I guess we give it our own name because who could explain it unless you experience it.  These are jolts that feel electric and last about a second.  I first got them as a teen from drinking aspartame.

I've stopped using sensitive toothpaste as it has an ingredient that is anecdotally related to tinnitus.

hth,

hbm

Tucson

I am doing a daily titration and cutting at .020mg / day which is slightly under 0.5mg in 21 days.

Thanks for your responses

B

blower1, i gett it,,,,, the buzzing sounds in my head, no zapz, but the buzz i get,, some of the time,, it sounds like white noise,, some of the time not.

ccg

i think "brain zaps" last a second or two.  i've had them on paxil years ago.  the "brain buzz" is like a constant hissing sound.  it's similar to the sound you hear when you're standing under a noisy electrical source.  i'm familiar with it.  i have it a lot.  it's gets worse for me at night sometimes.  it even feels electrical, like it's the source of the electrical current that often runs through my body.  one of my toughest symptoms.

Hi all

Re the Electrical noise, I actually spoke to a neurologist about this yesterday. His take is that in withdrawal, the receptors in the auditory circuits in the brain and ears are working overtime due to the removal of the benzo and they are producing random noises that the brain is trying to make sense of. If this happens on one side it would be more like regular tinnitus. If however both auditory circuits are firing, due to the stereo effect the noise seems to come from the centre of the head or brain. Quieter times in his opinion result from things working propally or something like that.

He feels it should pass as recovery proceeds.

Best

B

[7e...]

I sure hope this brain buzz begins to fade soon. It's by far my worst-ever symptom. It just goes on and on and on and on! It hit on Day 16 off and now I'm on Day 76, so for 60 days, nonstop! Aye, aye, aye!

Tucson

Kind of a stressful day today with people. Tonight I have an excessive amount of noisy crickets in my head. Very interesting take by the neurologist. I like to know the mechanics of my symptoms since I'm enjoying them so much. :P

That's not to sound negative. Futile attempt at humor. My symptoms are getting better as we all will. :thumbsup:

Hi

I am completely recovered but the buzzing and ringing still there most of the time, the only think you can do is ignore and don't pay attention to it and try not to be close to electronics, feel better

Daniel