Xanax support. Please advise?

[da...]

First cut today. Having some minor withdrawal symptoms already with no cuts =/ But nothing TOO major, so it leaves me hopeful. My back pain was nonexistant when I got on the Xanax, but it has come back in a way. Also my heart rate and BP have gone up a bit, but nothing overly major. We'll see how the cut goes within the next few days. If this is all I get or if there's not much more, I'd love it. But seeing even short term users go through hell long after theyre done, I know this is probably my grace period right now. I'll play some guitar listen to some music and hope for the best.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [da...]

• [Ni...]

• [fi...]

• [ba...]

First cut today. Having some minor withdrawal symptoms already with no cuts =/ But nothing TOO major, so it leaves me hopeful. My back pain was nonexistant when I got on the Xanax, but it has come back in a way. Also my heart rate and BP have gone up a bit, but nothing overly major. We'll see how the cut goes within the next few days. If this is all I get or if there's not much more, I'd love it. But seeing even short term users go through hell long after theyre done, I know this is probably my grace period right now. I'll play some guitar listen to some music and hope for the best.

Hi darkskywaves,

I'm glad you are doing well with your first cut. It's good to remember many short-term users have very mild symptoms.

When I started cutting the Xanax I did 12.5% cuts do, you're right, some pills can be hard to cut to get the percentage you want. If it were me, I would hold until you feel adjusted to the dose you're on and then try to taper a little more.

It's always a good thing to try to distract yourself from mild symptoms, sounds like you're doing great. :)

Second day of 0.875 mg... Starting to get some symptoms. BP is normal which is good. Actually it has risen, but to normal levels. It was below around 107/75 most of the time on Xanax, it's about 119/80 now. Tachycardia is present though which is a sign for sure that some w/d is happening(Anxiety related though I'm sure). It's 109 BPM but that's not ultimately terrible, and it wont last all day im sure. Back pain is up some more, I guess I just have to push myself to get more mobile. Thinking of investing in some high potency magnesium, It's helped in the past with me because I've had GI problems and bowel issues.(Sorry if that's TMI but I guess in the end, really, it isn't, we lose our innocence when we get hooked to this stuff.) Any thoughts?

Second day of 0.875 mg... Starting to get some symptoms. BP is normal which is good. Actually it has risen, but to normal levels. It was below around 107/75 most of the time on Xanax, it's about 119/80 now. Tachycardia is present though which is a sign for sure that some w/d is happening(Anxiety related though I'm sure). It's 109 BPM but that's not ultimately terrible, and it wont last all day im sure. Back pain is up some more, I guess I just have to push myself to get more mobile. Thinking of investing in some high potency magnesium, It's helped in the past with me because I've had GI problems and bowel issues.(Sorry if that's TMI but I guess in the end, really, it isn't, we lose our innocence when we get hooked to this stuff.) Any thoughts?

Ha, don't worry about TMI there's a whole thread on one of the boards about constipation and I've seen tons of posts to that. You do have a bit of a sense of humor, that should help you get through this. :) I haven't tried magnesium, some people think it's great others thinks it revs up their symptoms, so listen to your body and what it tells you. If it were me, I'd just start with a very low dose of the magnesium if you think it might help.

One of the good things about tapering a short acting benzo is you feel your withdrawal symptoms fairly quickly, but I noticed that I could hang through them and they would settle down in a few days--as long as I held till I felt stable and then made another cut.

I'm glad your BP is good. I've gotten tachy before, the way I could tell if it was w/d symptoms or anxiety is when I would get myself preoccupied and they would go away, I would realize it was anxiety, if they didn't, I knew I need to slow down on the taper.

Glad you're doing well darksky.  :)

Starting to get some dizziness and minor vision disturbances. Nothing like crazy or anything, still relatively normal. Had the hiccups for a touch, but they went away. I think every little thing just makes me worry. That stupid seizure talk is still lodged in the back of my head. I dont know. I some how have to stay positive.

=\

Seizures are extremely rare, except for people who cold turkey off of a high dose and especially if it's been long term. It is normal to have some symptoms when you are tapering. It can be uncomfortable to taper Xanax, but as long as you're just having mild symptoms you should be just fine. If it would help to reassure you to get a check-up with your doc, then you should do that. I think you are doing the right thing by being positive and not allowing the symptoms to control your thinking. We're here to support you in your withdrawal darksky.  :therethere:

Thank you. I know it's the anxiety talking mostly. Its worrisome. But I have to keep positive or it'll get me in the end. If nothing happens for another few days, I'll probably make the second cut. I dont want to wait TOO long to make cuts, otherwise ill get worse im sure with addiction. But I'll obviously be cautious as well. Thanks for your support, it's been extremely helpful =)

Yes, seizures are VERY rare.  They only happen in long-term, high-dose, rapid removal or decrease of benzos.  So you don't have to worry about that. 

Magnesium is good for tachycardia as well.  Make sure you don't get too high of a dose.  You can also ask for a mild beta-blocker from your doctor.  Toprol XL, 10 mgs always worked for me.  It's cheap, and generics are available for it.

I have benign (they say...It's a mixture of having rheumatic fever 4 years ago and anxiety!) tachycardia, and when I feel my heart rate is past 120/130, I take the Toprol. 

I'll admit I only read the first page of the thread.  You asked about taper or what to do with only having taken Xanax for 5 days.  I wouldn't bother with a taper but cold turkey it.  I did after 10 weeks and it was hell and still is.  But with only 5 days there would be no way in hell I would extend taking this poison for longer then I have to!  Rid yourself off this crap and just suffer a few weeks and be done with it.  If research is correct, it takes at least 7 days of continuous daily use to get really addicted to them.  Having gone through, and still dealing with, the madness that is benzo withdrawal, I would flush and run and never look back.  Wish I had know about this on my 5th day.  :pokey:

I'd go C/T but in the end I've been on the Xanax about 2 and a half weeks if you equate the Ativan use as well. I already tried as well and I was in rough shape.

Today even, I feel dizzy, depersonalization symptoms. But they aren't to that drastic point yet. I might make another cut tomorrow. See how it goes I guess. I had also been on an SSRI for years, though I skipped doses all the time(not smart I know). I haven't taken Lexapro in months though. And once I discontinued Lexapro, I had been exercising big time, had no real symptoms of withdrawal other than a little more anxiety and heartbeat sound was a bit harder(I have pulsatile tinnitus, basically always have, so it's a really annoying/scary symptom).

darkskywaves,

Just try not to worry about the symptoms too much.  Worrying is very powerful and can produce anxiety and other symptoms when there is nothing wrong.  Just a word of encouragement.

fg

I agree with you. I know how powerful anxiety is indeed. It's been a lifelong struggle. 10 years it's had it's claws on me the most. I have GAD/Hypochondria/Depression(albeit, mostly due to the overwhelming anxiety) and a mild form of Borderline Personality Disorder. So it's been a fight. Haha..

I've been doing a good job today, though I feel dizzy today, I've been just busying myself with a little work around, fixing up a stereo system to blast tunes from my computer with so it'll distract me. Music is my key. It's been my fallback my whole life. So I think if anything, the support I'll find here, and with my family and music will get me off the SSRI/Benzo train for the rest of my life.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

It means I'm always basically on edge, instead of being REALLY on edge, like Panic Disorder, it's like a constant up, instead of MAJOR up then down, then UP then down.

I've hardly ever felt really relaxed. Even on SSRI meds. I've had very good periods, but even then, I still had that keyed up feeling, but I mostly ignored it because it was something I learned to manage, as well as depersonalization. I mean, it wasn't nuts, but I do feel out of body a lot. Again, something I've learned to deal with. If I can get to just that again, I'd be forever grateful. That's the plan.

Man, I'm sorry you're going through w/d but it's nice to know someone else got addicted after only a week. I thought I was the only one. Most people don't even believe that I'm withdrawing, as if I'm too dumb to tell withdrawal apart from normal feelings.

Darkskyes, I hope you start to feel better.  Stick with the taper plan, even if you have short-term use. 

Ugh, I hate that out of body feeling!  Darn derealization!  Once you get down to 1/4 mg, you should be fine, and I really believe that. 

Everything is slowly starting to creep back up again. Got some paresthesia(sp?) or burning pain last night. I went out for the first time in about a month to get some groceries and I felt worse when I came back. Hearts starting to beat harder again, though again, it's not out of control. It is around 80-90 bpm with the occasional 100 rise when i wake up(my anxiety seems to be peaked in the morning.) And my muscles are not nearly relaxed as they were. I'm almost starting to think I should do more rapid cuts and get off this thing. But then again, that could send me to a way worse world of trouble. I don't know. All I know is that when I started it, the effectiveness is wearing off...so no matter what, w/d is coming.

I'm thinking of making the second cut tomorrow...thoughts?

I'd be at .75 .25 in morning, .5 at night

I might hold on that one a little longer, but I figure the 12.5 cut is in order, I don't think it'll do a world of difference making it worse.

I'm thinking of making the second cut tomorrow...thoughts?

I'd be at .75 .25 in morning, .5 at night

I might hold on that one a little longer, but I figure the 12.5 cut is in order, I don't think it'll do a world of difference making it worse.

Hi darkskywaves,

I'm confused about the amount you said you are going taper to. Your signature line says you are at .875mg.

If tomorrow you are at .75 .25 in morning, .5 at night that's 1.5mg total for the day.

Maybe you wrote it wrong here? (not hard to do when your going through withdrawal).

Just wanting to know, in case up mixed up your dosage. I have had to set my dose aside at night for the next day because I couple of times I couldn't remember if I took an afternoon dose or not. ::)

Not sure I should make the cut now. I'm not even stable on this much. My heart is POUNDING and fast big time right now and I have burning pain. It's going to take every ounce of strength I have not to take a couple of Xanax. I know it would fix it. But I can't I don't want to be on this stuff anymore.

Sorry. I had to post because I feel really awful right now. =/

Not sure I should make the cut now. I'm not even stable on this much. My heart is POUNDING and fast big time right now and I have burning pain. It's going to take every ounce of strength I have not to take a couple of Xanax. I know it would fix it. But I can't I don't want to be on this stuff anymore.

Sorry. I had to post because I feel really awful right now. =/

Okay, I got what you meant on your dosage.

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad, please don't worry about posting anytime you want to. :therethere:

If it were me, I would try to hold at the dose you are at now. When I was tapering Xanax, I would sometimes have a couple of waves a day. I was surprised when I hung through them that they would go away before my next dose....but you may want to do three doses a day totaling the .875mg and see if that's more tolerable.

Do you have the .25mg pills or the .5mg pills?

Also distraction really helps me a lot when I'm having a wave. I hope what I've said helps.