Today's new crazy symptom: xiphoid process sore/tender/swollen

[Be...]

I had to google to figure out the actual name for this part of my body.  For anyone else that doesn't know, it's the the middle of the base of your rib cage -- where they meet.  For girls, it's where the mid-point of the front of your bra sits. 

I noticed last night that this area was tender and started poking around on it.  There's also a lump.  After doing some google research, it looks like this is yet another weird withdrawal symptom. 

Anyone else have it?

That's strange that you would look into that. I had that symptom and didn't think much about it. Thought maybe I had leaned on something and bruised it. Told my wife and she said "Everything is a freaking symptom of withdrawal"... ::) Yes. And that's a good thing. It means it's going to go away instead of develop into some other problem. Jeez! So thanks for posting your finding! Mine is gone back to normal. And that's a good thing!

Possibly due to it absorbing more water, but that's just a guess.

Could be.  My system is definitely going up and down with water retention.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh my, a fellow bb sent me this posting due to I had posted a question about sore breast. Little did she know when she replied and referred me, that I also had sternum pain. I thought my osteopenia had gotten soooo bad and I had cracked my sternum during a chiropractor adjustment. I quit getting adjustments and upped my calcium. Am so relieved it wasn't from adjustments - that was just too freaky believing I was falling apart that much. I can accept it being a freaky benzo wd symptom - this whole wd process has been freaky crazy. Gotta  :laugh: to keep from letting it beat you. Sally 

I had this last year. I wasnt benzo wise back then and probably weened too fast off my ativan. thats how all my cycles started... id ween off ativan, have a mystery symptom, which would cause health anxiety, drs would say its anxiety, and to start my ativan back up... sure enough ativan cleared every mystery symptom up, until I weened off of it again. lol. Can't believe it took me 4 years to figure this all out.

The good news is, now I'm not as much of a hypochondriac, b/c now I can point out my mystery symptoms to benzo w/d. :)

My sternum felt sore for about a month... but it left. =) It was a hard feeling to describe, I couldnt tell if it was my heart or my rib cage... but my dr said you have tons of muscles in your rib cage.

If it's bothering you in a week still, may not hurt to get it checked out for peace of mind. =)

I had this symptom as well (about a month off) but never attributed it to withdrawal.  This symptom didn't last long (a few weeks or so).  Strange...

I had what my doctor called Costochondritis. My rib cage was sore all the way around, but mostly in the back. I thought it was my lungs at the time.

It went away in a month.

"The condition also can occur as a feature of more generalized diseases of inflammation such as certain forms of arthritis, fibromyalgia, and inflammatory bowel disease." and BENZO WITHDRAWAL

Betty, I hope it resolves for you quickly  :thumbsup:

I had what my doctor called Costochondritis. My rib cage was sore all the way around, but mostly in the back. I thought it was my lungs at the time.

It went away in a month.

"The condition also can occur as a feature of more generalized diseases of inflammation such as certain forms of arthritis, fibromyalgia, and inflammatory bowel disease." and BENZO WITHDRAWAL

Betty, I hope it resolves for you quickly  :thumbsup:

Thanks Kimba.  The pain is almost completely gone. All I have left now is the lump which I hope will go down.  It's really not noticeable to anyone else but me.  Inflammation as the cause makes a lot of sense.  

Just googled Costochondritis.  Yep.  That's it.

That happened to me when they tried to detox me from benzos with a standard alcohol CIWA protocol (Tranxene and clonidine for 4 days)...

Benzos really do effect pretty much EVERY system in withdrawal... I can't think of a single part of my body that wasn't affected by my 3 days of detox.

• 7 months later...
I bumped this because I didn't want to start a new post on this. Is this pretty common from the benzo withdrawal? I was wondering what this feeling was (the tenderness and lump). I mean I did lose a bit of weight but its tender. Anyone else get this? Does it go away?