Benzo withdrawal leading to muscle twitching/fasciculations

[Ad...]

How many of you get muscle twitching/fasciculations as a result of benzo withdrawal?. If yes, are they there almost all the time? Do any of you experience it during Ativan (lorazepam) withdrawal?

I experienced muscle twitches and spasms/cramping while tapering and healing from lorazepam, Adrifont.  For me, it did not go on all the time but was periodic over many months.

hi

i experienced this daily for months and now it bothers me every so often however muscle spasms were the reason i was put on benzos. I reckon i am close to pre benzo levels now. I wasn't on lorazepam though.

Sparkles x

Yes the muscle twitching is so normal in withdrawal.  I have had large muscle jerks and small shuddering twitches.  The large jerks were right after I jumped off.  I still have the spasms, shudders, twitching in my head and neck. This is a very sensitive area for me because I have had both neck and shoulder surgery.  I have heard that this can be one of the last sxs to leave.  But they do go away.

pianogirl

Thanks.How constant was the twitching? mine arewsmall twitches, specially in the legs and I dont feel them when I am not thinking about me. Howewer as soon as I start thinking about them I feel them and they are very distressing..I believe they are almost there all the time

Totally normal to happen it seems.  I started with full body muscle spasms in the early stages.  Worst feeling EVER!  Now I get tingle in left hand, right leg and right foot as well as spasms in my...get this...CHEEK!  What the hell.  I never even knew there was a muscle big enough to spasms on the side of my face.  lol

Hello,

I am in my second month of a taper from 2mg Clon. a day down to 1.5.  First .25 mg taper had very little problem.  One week into second .25 taper and am having horrific time, the muscle twitching being one of the most annoying side effects.  Have lots of tingling and numbness, too.  Also having very difficult time FORMING WORDS WHEN SPEAKING (anybody else have this? haven't seen anyone mention it yet), which then creates more anxiety.  So glad to have found this forum (I'm new) and to read that what I'm going through is normal.  I do hope you find relief, both in your body and through the support of this forum.

Cheers.

Hello,

I am in my second month of a taper from 2mg Clon. a day down to 1.5.  First .25 mg taper had very little problem.  One week into second .25 taper and am having horrific time, the muscle twitching being one of the most annoying side effects.  Have lots of tingling and numbness, too.  Also having very difficult time FORMING WORDS WHEN SPEAKING (anybody else have this? haven't seen anyone mention it yet), which then creates more anxiety.  So glad to have found this forum (I'm new) and to read that what I'm going through is normal.  I do hope you find relief, both in your body and through the support of this forum.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forums.

Muscle spasms and tingling are normal.  The speech thing you mention has happened to me on occasion.  I always assumed it was due to my anxiety booming while that happens.

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and good point about anxiety producing the speech problems.  It does seem to escalate as soon as I hesitate in speaking.  It's self-perpetuating, I think.  Am also having problems with fingers feeling like useless sausages.  Typing is difficult.  This, too, is normal, I'm assuming. 

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and good point about anxiety producing the speech problems.  It does seem to escalate as soon as I hesitate in speaking.  It's self-perpetuating, I think.  Am also having problems with fingers feeling like useless sausages.  Typing is difficult.  This, too, is normal, I'm assuming.  

I wouldn't say "normal".  But yes, part of the fun that is this nightmare.  I have my entire left hand tingle at times.  Feeling like I been clapping too hard with it.  Comes and goes for me.  Used to have my entire right arm do it and my entire right leg.  Now just left hand and right lower leg and feet.  Crazy stuff though.  The cheek spasms was the most annoying though.  Had that for about 3 days before it finally stopped.  Your fingers will probably be back to normal in a few days, in return you might have a different body part start to tingle.   :tickedoff:

Yeah, the twitches are really annoying but from what I read they seem quite common with withdrawal. I also get the numbness and tingling. The numbness comes a few times a day, it affects hands and feet. So does the tingling and I also have a very soft formication (antsy feeling) in my skin almost all day long. Had my blood tested and everything came back normal so I assume its the withdrawal. Un3real , you mention spasms, but did you also get twitches? How long did they last and did they gradually recover? did it affect mainly your limbs?

• 1 year later...
Oh, i just read some posts about muscle twiching / fasciculations. I have fasciculations too, from head to feet, but the most annoying for me are those I have to my left wrist, because an orthopedic problem. I've read that this effect can last many years; is it true, isn't it? Is there anyone here who is permanently healed by fasciculations? (I took Lorazepam for about than 15 years, and terminated my withdrawl 4 months ago).

• Popular Now