Gastritis

[te...]

Thought this was one digestive problem I would not have to encounter again, gastritis. It burns and hurts underneath the ribcage. I do have aloe juice, DGL, dexilant on hand but do not want to rev up the s/x's any more than they have been. Have any of you experienced gastritis during tapering and if so, what did you take, eat or drink that did not cause withdrawals symptoms to increase? Thanks....T2

T2,

I haven't had gastritis but have had acid reflux and stomach cramps.  Aside from slowing down the taper, I continued with Aciphex in the morning and Zegerid at night (per my GI doctor's recommendations).  For stomach cramps, Bentyl seemed to work well, but it did dry out my mucous membranes, so I try not to take it anymore.

From a natural perspective, digestive enzymes and probiotics have helped me.  I usually try to take them separately from my medicine, however.

The final thing I need to do is stop eating at night.  That is one thing I haven't yet mastered.  When I take the nighttime dose of Klonopin, it temporarily make me hungry (although hours later Klonopin actually decreases my appetite.  Go figure ...).

One last thing I did some time back was raise the head of my bed about 5-6 inches by putting bricks underneath it.

(Oh, I also am staying away from dairy, certain spices and acidic fruits).

At any rate, I hope some of this information helps.

Hope you see a breakthrough soon.

fg

Thanks  FG,

Am having not only the burning pain, but gas as well. I purchased some Beano but am afraid to take it :-[ Have been taking a digestive enzyme before a meal, and also a probiotic. If I do not eat I feel so sick, stomach gurgles and hurts. Have stayed away from caffeine, no oranges or orange juice. Hope this gets better. I appreciate you!.....Love, Peace, & Healing....T2

I certainly hope you see improvement soon T2.

There is also the BRAT diet that I forgot to mention.

B - Bananas

R - Rice

A - Applesauce

T - Toast

This diet is recommended for people that have stomach issues, etc.  Didn't know if you knew about it or not.

Wishing you well ...

fg

Awe, Teacher2,

GI issues have been my #1 issue throughout my taper and post taper (although it is improving in many ways).  I never had gastritis, but the "BRAT" diet FishingGuy mentions is a great one.  I stay away from dairy (I do have yogurt though) and I stay away from red meat.  Tomatoes are too acidic for me (although I am introducing them w/out any major issues).  I now take a papaya enzyme (or you can eat papaya).  My husband has major heartburn issues and is also taking papaya enzyme after he eats and find it just as if not more effective than Tums or Gaviscon.  Pineapple is good too but only in small servings.  For IBS sufferers, they suggest 1-2 small pieces of fresh pineapple after each meal b/c it helps with proper digestions.  If you eat too large of a portion it can give you the runs.  But you'd have to eat a fair amount to have those results. 

I hope this helps a bit...I'll come back if I think of anything else.

Sorry you are feeling this way.

Take care,

Schatje

Hi BBuddies!

Gastritis grabbed hold several times before knowing that Xanax was causing all sorts of problems. Doc would put me on Sucralfate. It would help but it is so hard to take while working. And, now, I am scared of what it might do s/x/ wise. Have also had sinus drainage like crazy. I had some Papaya enzymes but got rid of almost all supplements after beginning tapering. I sure will reinvest in getting more, though. Thanks Schatje! Also, thanks, FG forthe BRAT diet. Appreciate you all! T2

Hello Teacher!  Yes, symptom's of gastritis can be simply horrible to experience.  WD's are not necessarily the culprit though.  Usually it is simply that a person's system is in a ACIDIC state vs. being in a "ALKALINE" state.  Alkaline is where the body should be according to numerous medical studies, both traditional studies and wholistic.  For many a way to attain the alkaline state, and banish the acidic form of gastritis, it can be beneficial to eat alkaline food's, and avoid many acidic food's/beverage's.  Any number of website's can be "googled" to read about this common reality for validation's.  Some wholistic physician's are very aware of what it takes to maintain an alkaline system vs. the acidic.

Good luck, and take care.

For what it's worth, I did test my PH daily and eat alkaline foods (my PH was normal), but it didn't really help out with the acid reflux.  I was also seeing a holistic physician.  My acid reflux was so bad that I absolutely had no alternative but to go on PPI's.  Nothing the holistic physician gave me worked.  (In fact, some things actually made it worse).  Just my experience.

fg