Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Best Panic/Anxiety Advice I've Found

[ni...]

Thannk you so much for posting this link - I think it is incredible and has given me some new insights into how to try to manage the anxiety and fears.  How much of this can work for anxiety in withdrawal, I am not sure, but it is definitely worth trying....  I feel that what the author says has been said in many other different more "professional" ways, but his descriptions of all parts of this totally "normal" reaction makes it so much easier to grasp and therefore understand and to implement.  Thanks again!

Hoping2Bfree

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this link!  It has really helped me during a tough relapse of anxiety!  It's a vicious cycle and a learned behavior and for me it was just the fear that my w/d symptoms had returned.  I have been using the tools from this link to battle my anxiety and it is really helping me!  I know it will take much practice, but if I can do it I know anyone can.  We all feel like it's worse for us than anyone else and that no one can really understand.  But, the truth is it's as worse for us all equally as much as we can handle.  Staying positvie and not letting the fear get the best of you really is the ticket. 

I strongly encourage everyone to give this a good read and to truly have faith and believe that you ARE in control!  The most we can all do is try and hope for the best.  There is no harm in this.

I'm glad you guys found that link helpful.  :)  Please take the time to check out www.panicend.com too.  It's a wonderful support site for anxiety and panic issues.  Numerous people have used their techniques to fully recover.  Plus there are dozens of recovered people who stick around to help the newbies.  It may not do much for WD symptoms but it's worth a try if you're well enough.  Good luck!   

Wow. Just wow.

I've been studying (hard) to get over my "disorder" for the past 1.5 years and this may be the best thing I've read.

This should be a sticky thread, IMO.  This is absolutely invaluable material and believe me when I say I've read most of what's out there.

This is different, folks... and in my opinion, not only accurate but one of the best explanations of this information I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading 'the letter'. Very well written. I am going to try my best to heed his advice. Basically what he states is to go on with your life despite the fight or flight, kind of "pretend" the fight or flight/panic/anxiety is not happening and in doing that your mind realizes there is no threat and starts to relax.  Do the dishes, eat (slowly), walk, read etc... 

By doing this often you kind of 're-write' the pathways in your brain and can become relaxed more easily. Practice, practice , practice! He also states to stay away from anything related to anxiety...'speaking it, reading it, researching it...one is only keeping it in the forefront of the brain and therefore the mind sees it as a continuing 'problem' and continues to fight.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. I TRULY FEEL BLESSED FOR RECIEVING THIS INFORMATION. I'M SURE THIS CAN BE USED FOR ALL OF LIFES STRESSORS...

GOD BLESS, BOBBY...

I tried this and it took a couple of weeks, but it does work.  It just takes a while for you to keep at it.  Eventually the anxiety does go away and when you feel it sneak up unexpectedly you're able to quickly shut it off.  It's pretty amazing how strong the human mind is!  Good luck to you all. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My god, this works. Oh the irony. Definitely the best advice I've seen. Mods, sticky this.

Here's a comment I just left on the site:

"Incredible.

I'm currently going through benzodiazepine withdrawal, which of course means there is something wrong with my brain chemistry which causes the panic attacks.

That said, going about my day "pretending" that everything's alright (which I guess is true; there's no physical danger) has been by far the best method of coping with anxiety I've found.

I owe you my sanity. Even though the withdrawal still sucks, I'm now able to hang with friends, go to the gym, go to clubs, go to school, and drive (something which I never thought I'd be able to do until this whole ordeal was over).

Thank you,

Rod"

• 1 month later...
The content disappeared as of today, and I just read it yesterday. Strange! Glad I got to read it before it disappeared. I was going to send the link to somebody else when I discovered it was missing. I have a copy of it in case anybody wants to read it. I can post it as an attachment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Forgot about this for a while, panic crept back in. I started reapplying it today and am able to function normally again (well, I guess I always was - that's kind of the point)