Author Topic: Ativan...crush first or just melt in water for titration  (Read 1464 times)

[Buddie]

Ativan...crush first or just melt in water for titration
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:07 pm »
I've been "dissolving" it (I know it doesn't truely disolve) in water and shaking it well before using, but should I be crushing the Ativan first?  This came up in chat last night, and I want to make sure I'm not messing up my titration by not crushing it.  Thanks for any thoughts!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Ativan...crush first or just melt in water for titration
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:31:24 pm »
I haven't done titration myself so this is just based on what I read on this board.  It's best to crush the pills first.  Some even use a mortar and pestle to make a really fine powder before mixing in liquid. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »
Hi [...],

I don't know about Ativan, but I didn't have to crush my K in order to use it. I just left it to "dissolve" in the milk for 15 minutes. When I came back, there were no lumps or clumps, just orange milk. I think that's the key. If you're seeing stuff left over, you might need to crush. I am titrating Lexapro now and TRUST ME I know for a fact I can't get away with not crushing that tablet.

-P-

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:09 pm »
[...],

If it looks like it's dissolved sufficiently, you don't need to crush it. It's really a personal choice. It won't change the chemical composition of the pill either way.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:27 am »
Hi peaceof mind,

All you need to do is let it dissolve in water for about 5 minutes.  Then shake.  Lorazepam (Ativan)  dissolves easily.  Just make sure you shake before you take out your dose.  You can see its dissolved.  I have done the titration with lorazepam with no trouble.

Poplady