Author Topic: Acid Reflux and Benzos  (Read 2966 times)

[Buddie]

Acid Reflux and Benzos
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:22:17 am »
Greetings,

I am on PPI's for acid reflux (have been for about 4 years) but it seems that the Klonopin has made the acid reflux worse.  Has anyone heard of this before?  I saw a few articles on the web where Benzos could do this.  Was just wondering what others' experiences were.

Thanks so much!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Acid Reflux and Benzos
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:35:46 am »
I have acid reflex and found that clonazepam has help relieved the symptoms. It is when I make a reduction in my benzo it aggravates to the point that I went to the ER because of chest pain.  Klonopin is also used as a muscle relaxant. It could relax the stomach valve muscle to cause more acid up your throat. I have had acid reflux for 14 years and have found that your body also builds up a tolerance to PPI's and I have change PPI drug types 3 times in that time frame. Which has helped in each occasion. If your are having a lot of anxiety it also makes reflux symptoms worse. I would talk to your Dr.

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I have been on PPI's for 4 years and have also noticed that decreasing the dosage of K causes worse acid reflux.  However, since Klonopin decreases my appetite and even affects my digestion, I have also found that simply taking it without decreasing it doesn't help the reflux either.  I guess everyone responds differently.

Regards

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:03:53 am »
Greetings,

I am on PPI's for acid reflux (have been for about 4 years) but it seems that the Klonopin has made the acid reflux worse.  Has anyone heard of this before?  I saw a few articles on the web where Benzos could do this.  Was just wondering what others' experiences were.

Thanks so much!

I have been taking Nexium for a long time and expecially while going through w/d from Xanax, I noticed that it was not working like it used to. till now I never connected the two, but now I am sure one had to do with the other.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:44:32 pm »
I noticed the same thing, [...].

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:55:46 am »
I have read the side effects of PPIs and guess wha? They are so close to those of benzos!  Who knew????   I have been poisoning myself without  realizing it!
So now I have started weaning myself off Nexium!  Another nightmare on the horizon....

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 06:42:42 pm »
[...],

Are you taking any Probiotics or digestive enzymes?  I find that they help me and that I sometimes needs less of the PPI's when I take them.

Thanks and wishing you well ...

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 05:12:31 pm »
[...],

Are you taking any Probiotics or digestive enzymes?  I find that they help me and that I sometimes needs less of the PPI's when I take them.

Thanks and wishing you well ...

[...]

As a matter of fact, Yes I am taking Probiotics, digestive enzymes and also an alkaline booster!  Today is the second day without the nexium and boy am I in hell!  Yesterday I had to take a zantac and before bed 2tsp. of Malox. Thankfully I was able to be heartburn free during the night.  This morning I had two slices of organic whole wheat bread with raisins and the hearburn started up immediately. I took the malox again but it did not help much, then I took 1/2 tsp. baking soda and I think I am feeling better.  I read somewhere about a program that teaches how to eat the proper combination of foods, which if done properly guarantees the heartburn to go away.  I have been thinking about doing this, it only costs $ 40.00 which is fully refundable within 60 days if I am not happy.  At this point I am willing to try anything except going back on the Nexium!   I gave up xanax and I am surving, hopefully I will survive giving up the Nexium!  LOL

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:18:59 am »
By the way, what is an alkaline booster!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »
By the way, what is an alkaline booster!

[...]

It's supposed to balance acid and alkaline in the body.