Restlessness Withdrawal or Prolonged Akathisia

[wr...]

Experiencing some restlessness and anxiety, particularly in my right leg (restlessness).  Previously I was on Consta (IM form of risperdal) and was suffering from akathisia.  Around the time that the consta was discontinued my withdrawal symptoms started and now am second guessing as to what is causing my restlessness prolonged akathisia or withdrawal from the klonopin any advice/questions would be great

I suppose many drugs can cause it but never experienced Akathisia prior to quitting benzos, it was pretty intense earlier on but has for the most part, disappeared. For me, benzo withdrawal caused it, it sounds like it may be the same circumstance for you. I've seen this as a common withdrawal symptom.

I can relate to restlessness, in fact, I am now 4 days off of Requip given for restless leg. I'm struggling, can't sleep!

:yippee: That's how I get at night, well maybe not that energenic! lOl

Thanks Star am leaning towards the benzos causing it as when I was on the Risperdal Consta the Akathisia was constant no relief and very intense, though with klonopin withdrawal it is less and tends to come and go throughout the day usually getting worse at night occasionally.

Hello Wrawz,

I saw your question and wanted to let you know I put together some information that may be helpful. I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

“Benzo-Wise, A Recovery Companion” by Baylissa Frederick, 2009

Restless legs: sensation in legs, overwhelming urge to move legs when lying down, leg jerks while sleeping

“The Benzo Book, Getting Safely off Tranquilizers”, by Jack Hobson-Dupont, 2006

He describes his experience and yes, it did go away for him:

“When it got closer to my bedtime, an electric sensation would begin in my feet and run up my legs. It would increase in intensity until I was squirming around in my chair, trying in vain to relieve it by movement, by flexing the muscles. Oddly, if I waited until these symptoms were at their peak, at an almost unbearable level of discomfort, and then go into my bed, I would almost invariably fall asleep almost immediately, far more quickly than the nights when Restless Leg Syndrome was absent. It seemed incredulous that I could possibly fall asleep with my legs writhing in my bed – yet it happened time and time again.”

"The Ashton Manual" by Heather Ashton, 2002

BENZODIAZEPINE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS:

INDIVIDUAL SYMPTOMS, THEIR CAUSES AND HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM

Muscle symptoms. “Benzodiazepines are efficient muscle relaxants and are used clinically for spastic conditions. It is therefore not surprising that their discontinuation after long – term use is associated with a rebound increase in muscle tension. This rebound accounts for many of the symptoms observed in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Muscle stiffness affecting the limbs, back, neck and jaw are commonly reported, and the constant muscle tension probably accounts for the muscle pains with have a similar distribution. Headaches are usually of the “tension headache” type, due to contraction of muscles at the back of the neck, scalp and forehead – often described as a “tight band around the head”.

“At the same time, the nerves to the muscles are hyper- excitable, leading to tremor, tics, jerks, spasm and twitching, and jumping at the smallest stimulus. All this constant activity contributes to a feeling of fatigue and weakness (“jelly- legs”).

“None of these symptoms is harmful, and they need not be a cause of worry once they are understood.”

“There are many measures that will alleviate these symptoms, such as muscle stretching exercises as taught in most gyms, moderate exercise, hot baths, massage and general relaxation exercises. Such measures may give only temporary relief at first, but if practiced regularly can speed the recovery of normal muscle tone – which will eventually occur spontaneously.”

These are all well documented symptoms.

How are you sleeping? Is the restlessness effecting your sleep?

Summer

Thanks for the information Summer,

I am sleeping well I take 200 mg of seroquel for sleep along with melatonin.

The restlessness is not affecting my sleep at all although it use to when I was on Risperdal Consta.

I am hoping it well get better as my body is adjusting to the recent cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a small decrease in my dosage last night.

Still frustrated as my right leg is still agitated and restless very uncomfortable.  Feels like electricity is moving in it.... I hope this goes away

Did you have feelings of inner restlessness and generally being uncomfortable all the time also was it constant or did it go away at times or get better

I have been very restless and had convulsions in all four limbs.  Then, it was convulsion like.  One time, it was near seizure.  I am in the hospital trying to get the convulsions under control.  I couldn't ride it out, but I don't want to go back on benzos.

• 2 weeks later...
The restlessness in my right leg (concentrated) and in my body in general has gone down but at night that is were it is the most intense.  Does stretching or exercise help relieve the tension, anxiety and restlessness?

Do  you get a snapping sensation behind your knee that makes you feel restless? My cousin, since being off risperdal, complains of this. I have the internal restless only on very bad days (like today) and it is HORRENDOUS. I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I hope it improves.