Buddhist practices - managing anxiety.

[pi...]

A few weeks ago I told my pdoc I'm facing some kind of existential crisis. I've been managing my panic attacks pretty good for the last few years, but lately I've been feeling down, wondering about life, death, and their meaning. I can't grasp the idea of heaven - eternal life scare me just like death does. So my lovely pdoc told me I should look into buddhism. Yeah, right, I thought. She's trying to turn me into a bloody hippie!

Well, a few weeks have passed, and although my hair isn't dreadlocked and I'm not wearing day-glo fishermen pants, I think she had a point. I have found a way to use two main buddhist practices to help me deal with my crisis, my GAD and whatever comes along:

1. meditation - It's hard. I know that I, and probably most of you, keep having racing thoughts all over the place. I tried meditating several times, but couldn't stop thinking. Then, My husband suggested trying to focus on a burning candle. After 5 minutes of staring into the flame, I felt at peace for the first time in ages, even if it was for a couple of seconds.

2. Koans - sort of a story without one meaning, but with several meanings and interpatations you should figure out yourselves. By thinking about a certain koan you can go deeper and deeper with the subtext. I noticed that whenever I feel anxious, thinking about koans helps me pull myself back to focus and relax.

This might work for some of you. give it a shot!

A koan I've been thinking about for a few days now: A student walks in the forest and sees his master on the other side of a river. Master, He asks, How can I cross the river to the other side? The master told him - you are already on the other side.

Good luck  :)

Really wonderful that you are developing these tools. They will serve you for life.

One day the benzo blues will lift and all of the sudden your existential crisis will be hard to remember. Trust me.

I am feeling so anxious tonight. My left arm is so sensitive and tingling.--in fact; my left side feels bizarre.

My head ----sensations and headache, dizzy. Deep breathes---trying to ignore this--trying--------!

It is possible since this Rx is a short-life that I should split the dose up...???

thoughts?

sofar

I am an existing member, but have not been on for a while. I have forgotten how to post in the forum. I still am tapering of klonopin and still need support. How do I post in the forum so I can chat with others?

PLEASE HELP :D :D :D :D