AM and PM dose taper for Klonopin

[wr...]

Hi I'm still new in this forum if you want more information feel free to read my introduction under the name wrawz88,  I think it is on the second page by now.  Alright so I've been withdrawing from .75 mg of klonopin without my doctors advise as she thinks I need it for anxiety.  Prior to that I've withdrawn from 3 mg lorazepam very successfully and now am recovering from two weeks of lorazepam use (3 months after the initial withdrawal)  I went cold turkey and was not expecting any withdrawal symptoms as I thought two weeks was a short time,  however due to the kindling effect on my CNS I began to experience painful withdrawal effects and was put on .75mg of klonopin as a reinstatement.  The dose went as follows .25mg AM and .5mg PM.  I am now on .25 mg AM and .375mg PM.  Getting ready in about a week to make another cut as things are going fairly well and need advice as to cut .125mg from the AM or PM dosage (not sure if it will make a difference as klonopin has a long half-life).  Also should I consider doing an even smaller dosage with titration or do an .0625 mg titration on both AM and PM?  Thanks and any advice would be appreciated greatly.

Hello Warwaz,

I am tapering from Klonopin. I am at 1.25mg. I have some questions for you. How are you doing with the .125mg dose reductions? Are they manageable?

If not I can share with you how to do some smaller dose reduction. I plan to keep my pm dose near the end of my taper to help minimize the symptom of insomnia. I take Brand Klonopin and the half life is 30 to 40 hours. The generic is 18 to 50 hours. I hear those on generic do split there dose like a 40/60 or something like that. I found that once at night dosing to be fine once I go to .6175mg.

Summer

Hello Warawz,

If it were me I would do a .0625mg dose reduction. That is a 10% cut . I would lower the morning dose.

It would look like this:

AM: 0.1875

PM: 0.375

Total .5625mg

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

Hello Warwaz,

I have been dry-cutting. I have learned some important things about this process for me:

1) Each dose reduction I am able to get to a point where my body gets used to the dose and my withdrawal symptoms are lower. I usually get a couple of days where I have lower withdrawal symptom days. I have found that those several days enough for me to feel ready to take on another cut.

2) I have found that I need to hold for no shorter than 2 weeks.

3) I listen to my body and hold until it feels like it has adjusted to the new lower dose.

4) My average holds have been 2 to 4 weeks

5) In order to keep the symptoms at a tolerable level, I keep my cuts around 10% or lower.

6) I have been able to keep my cuts to .03125mg when I hit .5mg of Klonopin.

I have found that the lower I get in my dose that better I feel. My symptoms are less in number and intensity.

In case you are interested in how I am able to dry cut the lower doses:

Cutting .25mg:

Here is how I am able to get the .25mg pieces. I break the .5mg tablet in half.  The brand Klonopin is scored and breaks in half easily.

Cutting .125mg

Take the .25mg and cut that in half. That is a .125mg piece.

Cutting .0625mg

I have the 0.5mg Klonopin.

I break the 0.5mg tablet in half then, I cut 1/4th off of that. I use an angle razor like a box cutter. I have found that the razor is thinner and sharper than the pill splitters I have worked with. Yet, I have read that some have no problem using pill splitters.

I cut the 1/4 off of the tablet on a glass surface. I have found the glass surface to be hard enough to get a clean cut. I press down firm and fairly fast. The 1/4 breaks away (from the .25mg). Now I have 0.0625mg.

Cutting .03125mg (Powder)

The way I get the .03125mg is I crush a .25mg piece and separate the powder into 8 piles. I happen to have a window scraper so that is what I use. I crush the .25mg on a plate with the top part of a pill crusher. Then use the window scraper to separate the pile into 8. Each pile is .03125mg.

Cutting .0156mg (Powder)

The way I would get a .0156mg cut is by crushing .125mg piece (to get the .125mg, cut the .25mg in half). Then crush the .125mg into powder with the top of a pill crusher. Then separate the piles into 8. Each pile is .0156mg.

Here is an example, this was my cut at .5mg:

When I cut my .5mg tablet to do a .03125mg dose reduction, it looked like this:

0.25mg

0.125mg

0.0625mg (chip)

0 .03125mg (powder)

------------------

.46875mg total

This is a 5.9% cut.

I hope this is helpful,

Summer :mybuddy:

You really have to wonder if the pill actually contains the exact amount it says it does. You also have to wonder if it is distributed evenly through out the pill.

Thanks summer for the help,  I think I'll take your advice and do the AM reduction

Total .5625mg

Do you taper weekly, every two weeks or does it depend on the dose and your symptoms?

Thanks summer for the help,  I think I'll take your advice and do the AM reduction

Total .5625mg

Do you taper weekly, every two weeks or does it depend on the dose and your symptoms?

Hello Wrawz,

You're welcome. I hold no shorter than 2 weeks and have been keeping my dose reduction around 10% or lower. My body gets use to the new lower dose and I usually get a few lower symptom days. That is how I know it is time for another dose reduction. With the half life of Klonopin I have found it take 2 weeks at a minimum to get through all of the half lives of that dose reduction.

Let me know how you are doing. You can write here and I also have a Buddy Blog. You could write me there. I would love to hear how you are progressing.

Hugs,

Summer :hug:

Starting my reduction tonight, decided to go .3125 pm and .25 am so a .0625 mg reduction.  Hopefully things will go well I'm feeling confident that they will.

Hello,

So, you decided to take the .0625mg off of the evening dose?

That will work too. I wish you the best. Let us know how this dose reduction goes for you.

How are you feeling today?

Love,

About four days into the taper and am having some restlessness, anxiety and hot flushes throughout my body and constantly in my head also getting headaches.  Hanging in there and am hope full that in a week I will be feeling better and ready to make another cut.

Can an Administrator move this to the progress log thanks.  (As this has started with a taper plan but now turned more into a personal log)

Hello wrawz88,

A progress log is your personal log, members can't reply to it, is this what you would like?  Or we have Buddie Blogs, where you can get feedback from other members, and make some friends.  Let us know what you'd like to do.  :)

Pam

Summermeadow,

Thanks so much for describing your logic about deciding when to cut!!!! That really helps me. I am trying to do this without sticking to a set timetable and your thoughts about when you cut are extremely helpful. I was going to cut this weekend, but have not had a reduction in sxs since last cut, so using your thinking which makes so much sense to me, I will just take it easy. I might not get a reduction, which is life, but your ideas really help my thinking. Thanks. :)

Summermeadow,

Thanks so much for describing your logic about deciding when to cut!!!! That really helps me. I am trying to do this without sticking to a set timetable and your thoughts about when you cut are extremely helpful. I was going to cut this weekend, but have not had a reduction in sxs since last cut, so using your thinking which makes so much sense to me, I will just take it easy. I might not get a reduction, which is life, but your ideas really help my thinking. Thanks. :)

Hello Hanna,

I am happy the information was helpful. I am so happy it helped you. I agree with you on waiting until your body gets use to the new lower dose. How is is going taking it easy?

Love,

Summer :smitten:

Thanks for explaining the difference, the buddy blog would work.

Hello Wrawz,

I see you are wanting to start a Buddie Blog. It looks like Pamster was talking to you about Buddie Blogs. I wanted to post how to start one in case that may be helpful.  Here are some tips on how to do that if you are interested.

STARTING A BUDDIE BLOG

Go to the open forum by clicking on Home

Then scroll down to Buddie Blogs

Click on Buddie Blogs

Then click on New Topic

Fill in the Subject Line with what you would like your Buddie Blog Title to be

Then write your introduction

Then click on Post

That is it! You now have a Buddie Blog to give and receive support.

I think you will have fun and wonderful support there.

Love,

[d5...]

Summer,

How do you make sure the piles you've made are even?  I'm currently holding at .75 mg, unsure of when to make the next cut b/c I'm starting a new job on Monday.  I'm thinking liquid titration might be easier, rather than dry cutting, but certainly more cumbersome and costly.  So, I'm curious as to how you go about keeping track of the piles and making sure that there is an even amt of K in each one. 

Also, you mentioned that you feel better as you have been going lower?  I'm curious about that too b/c if I could continue to taper and find that each cut was less difficult b/c there was less drug overall in my system, I might consider continuing to taper. 

Iwillprevail

Hello Will,

I am going to post how I get the smaller dose reductions by dry cutting. Then I will answer your other questions on the next post.

Cutting .25mg:

Here is how I am able to get the .25mg pieces. I break the .5mg tablet in half.  The brand Klonopin is scored and breaks in half easily.

Cutting .125mg

Take the .25mg and cut that in half. That is a .125mg piece.

Cutting .0625mg (Chip)

I have the 0.5mg Klonopin.

I break the 0.5mg tablet in half then, I cut 1/4th off of that. I use an angle razor like a box cutter. I have found that the razor is thinner and sharper than the pill splitters I have worked with. Yet, I have read that some have no problem using pill splitters.

I cut the 1/4 off of the tablet on a glass surface. I have found the glass surface to be hard enough to get a clean cut. I press down firm and fairly fast. The 1/4 breaks away (from the .25mg). Now I have 0.0625mg.

Cutting .03125mg (Powder)

The way I get the .03125mg is I crush a .25mg piece and separate the powder into 8 piles. I happen to have a window scraper so that is what I use. I crush the .25mg on a plate with the top part of a pill crusher. Then use the window scraper or razor to separate the pile into 8. Each pile is .03125mg.

Cutting .0156mg (Powder)

The way I would get a .0156mg cut is by crushing .125mg piece (to get the .125mg, cut the .25mg in half). Then crush the .125mg into powder with the top of a pill crusher. Then separate the piles into 8 using a razor.

Here is an example:

So when cutting from .75mg Klonopin, it would look like this:

0.5mg

0.125mg

0.625mg

-------------

.6875mg

This is a 8.3% dose reduction.

Love,

Experiencing some restlessness and anxiety, particularly in my right leg (restlessness).  Previously I was on Consta (IM form of risperdal) and was suffering from akathisia.  Around the time that the consta was discontinued my withdrawal symptoms started and now am second guessing as to what is causing my restlessness prolonged akathisia or withdrawal from the klonopin any advice would be great.  Other than that doing good and may make another cut as early as a week.

Hello Will,

Well, I did feel better the lower I got in my dose. As you can see in my signature line, I was at .125mg when I went off of Birth Control Pills and that flipped out my symptoms.

I was at 5mg at one time and felt really awful taking it 5 times per day. I felt better as I took the dose 4 times, then 3, then 2 and then only one time at night when I got to .625 or so. I think that was due to starting with a slow taper and allowing my body to adjust to each dose.

I get the piles even by crushing the K on a plate and separating the one pile into 2 then that one into 2 again, making it 4 and so on. I lick my finger and put it on the pile and then put my finger in my mouth. Then drink some water. My examples give you 8 piles, so that lasts for 8 days worth.

If you cannot do the .0625 in a chip, you could crush it and use piles of powder for that dose.

Is this what you were asking?

Love,

Summer

Experiencing some restlessness and anxiety, particularly in my right leg (restlessness).  Previously I was on Consta (IM form of risperdal) and was suffering from akathisia.  Around the time that the consta was discontinued my withdrawal symptoms started and now am second guessing as to what is causing my restlessness prolonged akathisia or withdrawal from the klonopin any advice would be great.  Other than that doing good and may make another cut as early as a week.

Hello Wrawz,

I know this is your thread and Will asked a question. Here is your post to put you back into your thread.

If it were me, Wrawz, I would ask that question in Withdrawal and Recovery Support. You may get more feedback. I do not know about Consta.

I am happy to hear that other than the restlessness you are doing good. I get that restlessness too and I am ONLY on Klonopin.

Love,

Thanks for explaining the difference, the buddy blog would work.

Hello Wrawz,

I see you are wanting to start a Buddie Blog. It looks like Pamster was talking to you about Buddie Blogs. I wanted to post how to start one in case that may be helpful.  Here are some tips on how to do that if you are interested.

STARTING A BUDDIE BLOG

Go to the open forum by clicking on Home

Then scroll down to Buddie Blogs

Click on Buddie Blogs

Then click on New Topic

Fill in the Subject Line with what you would like your Buddie Blog Title to be

Then write your introduction

Then click on Post

That is it! You now have a Buddie Blog to give and receive support.

I think you will have fun and wonderful support there.

Love,

Hello Wrawz,

I am not sure administration has seen your request so I posted how you can start a blog.

Love,

Summer

[d5...]

Sorry, Wrawz, didn't mean to take over your thread!  I just wanted to make sure Summer saw the question, and figured it made sense to reply to her post directly.

@Summer-- thanks!