Can't sleep

[Al...]

hi Jittery,

i take L-TRYPTOPHAN 500 mg  capsules.  I try to take it on an empty stomach.  when i wake up during the night,  usually 4 hours after i have fallen asleep i take 2 more.  it works  right away.  it might be the placebo effect that is putting me to sleep.  if it is,  i don't care  because  i am desperate to sleep too. I went for awhile with no sleep  all.  sleep has been very slow to come back for me.  i am not sure how much of the mental stuff now is from wd  and  and how much is lack of sleep.

i found out about gabba and l tryptophan from a psychologist on the west coast who knows about benzo w/d  and the  ashton manual.  he suggested that i read two books. the titles are "The Mood Cure" by Ross and "Depression Free Naturally."  there have been nights that the amino acids didn't work.  i have found it is very important for me to try not to get revved up in the evenings or before i go to sleep. 

i hope thiis helps you,

ali     

• 3 weeks later...

My sleep is still here and there but managable. I am still holding at .7 mg ativan.

I am at about 8 weeks into my taper and having muscle pain in shoulders and neck daily. Last evening for the first time, my blood pressure went scary high. Is this normal?

With a Ativan (and librium before that) my sleep has been pretty rugged. I'd like to try something to help but not sure which thing is best. All Tied up you are on Ativan too and the twitches and pain is killer. some like Valerian and others take Melatonin or ltyrtp?  Is any better for Ativan users or is it the same pretty much?

Jmart, I have found that Benadryl still works best for me. But in the last few days I have go myself a cold and so I took Nyquil at night before bed and that worked even better.

I don't use  either of these regular as this stuff is probably not good for yopu taken too regular but from time to time.

Are you also on a Ativan taper?

What are your experiences?

I see my doctor Monday for a taper.  I was drinking a lot and they put me on Librium, then Ativan and tried to stop but the shakes got pretty bad. Wife has been really supportive because I said I would get help. 

You say 2 a day but what size are they? How many Milligrams?

Anyway I hope your Doctor knows how to treat this matter. Mine tried to get me to stop at 50% reductions and although I tried his plan, I hit the wall shortly after trying it. Then I read the "Ashton Manual" took control of my own taper plan and used the 10% reductions biweekly or there abouts.

I discussed with him about switching over to Valium to help but he did not agree. He actually said I was on such a small dose stopping would not be an issue, Ha! Ha!.

Good luck to you and I should say if you have not already go to the home page and in New members stat an introduction. There are a great bunch of Guys and Gals on here that can offer you lots of support.

Keep me posted as to how you make out with your Doctor and your reduction plan, if I may be so bold as to ask. 

I didn't even think about the milligrams!  On the bottle is says 1 milligrams take 1 every 12 hours so I guess I am on 1 and a half to 2 milligrams a day .

I would be in big trouble if I tried to take out 1 of them  ie 50%.  What is the aston manual?

I'd love to be on the valium instead but I have to be careful with asking for anything  because  of my personal history my marriage and my current tour.

I seem to be managing was just taking 1 and a half every other day and then two the next day and so on .  I have a reasonable approach with my doctors next week I might just be able to switch over to the valium .  I'm working on a presentation for them. lol.

Jmart

Sounds good to me.

The Aston manual is the holy grail of reference for these Benzo withdrawal plans.

If you goggle ashton manual, you can read her recommendation about tapering off these drugs.

Talk soon, bye.