Can't sleep

[Al...]

I am in my 3rd week of taper from Ativan. This insomnia started about 5 days ago and it is not letting up.

I am exhausted, I get no sleep what so ever. I tapered 20-25 %. All sorts of symptoms but the worst is this insomnia.

If I go back to my 1 mg daily dose, will I get some sleep?

Then I could start my taper at a slower rate  :-\

I'm afraid that there have been mixed reports on the success of updosing, All Tied Up.  Most people seem to post that going back to a previous dose didn't make any difference and then they had to taper back to where they had been again.  :(  There are some good suggestions on this board, from OTC antihistamines and Melatonin to sleep CDs (Sleep Tracks I think the program is called).  I bought a CD/book combo on Amazon called "I Can Make You Sleep" the last time I went through a very bad sleep patch; it helped.  I know not being able to sleep can make one desperate as well as miserable.  I sure hope you find some relief tonight.  :therethere:

Thanks Beeper, I am going to try and stick it out and what happens tonight.

I have all the sleep tracks, books, audio recordings ever made as I am sure most of us on here do.

I am off to buy some melatonin. Much appreciated.

AlltiedUp,

I have used both Doxepin and Vistaril (although not on the same day, since they both contain antihistamines) and they have both helped me fall asleep.  Of course, you would need a prescription from your doctor and his/her approval before starting that.  Melatonin didn't help me, but everyone is different.  Hope you are doing better.

I took 3 Mg's. of Melatonin last night and got 5 hours of good sleep, feels great. I also started a titration at just a bit higher than my dry cut dose. So now I am taking .3 Mg's. thrice daily. Tonight I will use benadryl to see if it helps with sleep. If figure if I flip back and forth between Melatonin and Benadryl, maybe my system will stay folled and not develop a resistance.

Thanks for all the help! ;)

I'm so glad to learn that little bit of Melatonin helped, All Tied Up.  I did the same thing ( a few nights on Melatonin followed by a few nights on Benedryl then a few nights with nothing) for the same reason.  Hope this works out for you.  ;)

Last night I used the Benedryl for sleep, I was up till 1.30 am, but finally feel asleep and it worked pretty well.

I think tonight I will use Melatonin again. Then tomorrow nothing and see if it happens naturally.

Thanks again for all the help everyone! :-\

I've tried both melatonin and magnesium.

I ended up developing some dependency on the melatonin. Perhaps there was some interaction with the clonazepam.

Magnesium can act on the 'benzodiazepine receptor'.

That doesn't mean those substances will be bad for YOU.

Hi All---

While it's an essential and important nutrient, magnesium can be energizing to some people. I found that moving up my magnesium dosage to earlier in the day really helped. Also, the kind of magnesium really makes a difference too. Magnesium citrate is very good. Magnesium oxide is sometimes not absorbed very well. I use one of those powders that you mix with water.

Thanks for that SarahMac24, so far since flipping back and forth between Benedryl and Melatonin I have managed pretty well with sleep.

If I hit a bump in the the road I will try the Magnesium route.

I think titrating my meds is working out better as well.

I am holding right now at .9 mg. ativan daily in 3 equal doses, I plan on holding here 1 more week then drop to .8.

Bless you all! 8)

Some nights my sleep happens all be it fitfully, not continuous,other nights I need to take something.

Started on .8 Mg's today, still doing water titration and splitting dose into three episodes.

Today my heart beat started racing. 100+. Hope I sleep tonight.

I know these symptoms are just due to tapering but sometimes they get the best of me.

Went to in-laws for thanksgiving dinner, long drive. It was all I could do to stick it out.

Left around 7:30 pm and wife got mad at me. If she only knew how hard this is just trying to be normal during this tapering.

It seems the first 3 days or so after making another reduction are the worst for symptoms.

Is this what typically most experience?

hi,

I take  amino acids, magesium,  citrical,  and a small amount of melatonin. I take tryptophan  and  gaba. before I added the tryptophan  I only slept 4 hours a day.    Hope this helps.

take care,

ali

I read where it's not recommended to take GABA when on benzos.  I believe I read this in one of Suzy Cohen's books.  Probably either the "24-hr. Pharmacist" or "Drug Muggers".  Just a little FYI.

Oh, Trytophan should not be taken by asthmatics or those with breathing difficulties (or it you are taking a prescription Antidepressant).

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I take Pharma GABA 100 mg.  I take 2 every night.  I need to say this though.  I started out just taking gabba and I didn't sleep any better with just that.  What really has helped me to sleep is the tryptophan.  i didn't know that there are contraindications for tryptophan.  I used to take 5HTP  but there are contraindications. if a person has serious liver disease, he shouldn't take 5HTP.  I am concerned that my liver is compromised    so I stopped taking that.  Anyway, the tryptophan has seriously helped me to sleep for the last several months. 

tade care,

ali

Hi Jittery. Is your sleep any better? I use tryptophan but I don't notice it really helping me get to sleep. Melatonin is much better for that. Too bad the melatonin makes me nauseous now.

I had another nite with no drugs, just oat straw tea and magnesium...but I did have wine...almost 2 glasses. The nite before I couldn't sleep and took unisom at midnite but the nite before I did sleep with only oat straw and magnesium. I do feel I am finally making progress. If I am at all upset tho, I can't sleep and have to use something. My mental state has a huge affect. I can pretty much tell fairly soon if I will be relaxed enuf to fall asleep. I don't have that sleepy feeling like I used to long ago but I seem to ease into sleep slowly now. It's not regular....but I am now hopeful. You will be able to sleep too...just need more time.

A therapist friend told me tryptophan (3) helps her sleep better but not get to sleep.

Hope you can sleep tonite.

kathi