Immune system is overactive, now I'm freaking out again!

[Ho...]

At this point in withdrawal, my immune system seems to be going haywire. I'm getting random rashes all the time and other weird things happening. This makes sense to me somewhat since I know without a doubt that the benzo suppressed by immune system while I was on it, so maybe it's just coming back to life? :\

But I just got back from the eye doctor and she diagnosed me with an allergic reaction I'm having to my contacts. Then she went on to explain to me that the most severe form of this type of thing (autoimmune) is lupus, which can kill you. Great. So as I'm sure you can guess, i then went on to silently start freaking out and wondering if this really is withdrawal, or maybe my immune system is going to start trying to kill me.  ::)

Is all of this stuff normal (the rashes and stuff)? I'd love to know...

I've had teenage acne the whole time I was on Xanax and during withdrawal. The three doctors that have a clue about benzos all confirmed that the Xanax and withdrawal from it has caused slow healing of the three surgeries I was taking Xanax to deal with and the rashes and acne among other things. It is getting better finally.

Scientific research shows a link between GABA and immunity.

You can go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, which is a public website with summaries of every kind of scientific study, and type in "GABA" and "autoimmune" to see some studies. Go to the PubMed section.

Well, w/d makes us freak out anyhow. So we overreact to everything. Plus there's a lot of scary stuff that happens getting off benzos. I hope this indeed turns out to be a temporary withdrawal related thing.

I have had 2 of the worst colds in my life in the past 4 months and I have had clogged sinuses for the entire time. Prior to this, I had some allergy issues, but nothing I even needed meds for.

I cant take medicine that I never had trouble with in the past--Advil and Flonase make me feel like I got hit on the head with a hammer. My right ear has been clogged for months. I have a crazy pimple in my ear and a few on my face--and I am 50.  Half the time I feel like I am 100.

So, something is messing with my immune system. I still go to the doctors when worrisome symptoms arise because I do not want to be negligent, but it always seems to come back "fine"

Shell

I have had Shingles twice...got some kind of flu from my husband last spring and am still coughing along with a plugged ear.  I have also gotten peeling skin and rashes...mouth sores, gingivitus and a tooth infection that required two rounds of antibiotics.  Of course the answer to all these conditions was more drugs which I refused, except for Shingles and tooth.  Levaquin?  I don't think so...

I have been sick with something since I started my taper...immune system is shot.  So...you're not alone!