Buspirone

[Be...]

Just wondering -

Has anyone had any help with Buspirone?  My dr. says it helps with anxiety and is non-addictive. But if it's just messing my brain up, not sure I want to go that route.

Thanks -

BelindaMay

I have never taken Buspar, but I haven't read anything helpful about it.  Here is what Dr. Ashton says about it.

other drugs which have been found to be of little or no value in withdrawal trials over 4-6 weeks include buspirone (BuSpar, an anti-anxiety drug), carbamazepine (Tegretol, an anticonvulsant), clonidine (Catapres, an anti-anxiety drug sometimes used in alcohol detoxification), nifedipine (Adalat) and alpidem.

If your anxiety is from withdrawals it may not help you that much.  If you use the search option you will find a lot of other members' experiences, both previous and current. I know people tend to get anti-med after they become benzo aware but there are some members who do swear that certain meds have aided them.

Crono

Hello Belinda,

I was on Buspar at one time a long time ago.

It didn't help me at all. It kind of added on to my anxiety and made me feel dizzy.

Others have said this as well.

Hard to say what a medicine will do to one.. it's like trial and error.

Hang in there.

You can do a google scholar search. I have. Buspirone has been researched as an aid to benzo withdrawal and found NOT to help.

I tried a few SSRIs and they didn't bother me at all nor help at all.

The anxiety sucks. I got pretty good at going about my day and interacting with people even when my insides were shaking!

Buspirone screws around with neurotransmitters, so by definition it messes your brain up.

I don't think there's any way you can tweak brain chemistry and not mess it up, unless you think Eli Lilly is smarter than five billion years of evolution--the Mother Nature who creates the complex perfection of a rainforest.  (Your brain is at least as complex as a jungle.  It's the rainforest inside your skull.  And we all know how much corporations can be trusted with rainforests.)

Personally, although I once defended psych meds (more fool me), I don't plan to ever let anyone hijack my mind again.  There's just no way anything that we silly arrogant humans invent can possibly improve on something so complex, subtle, and perfect.  Anything we do to brain chemistry is just another wrench in the works.

All IMO, obviously.

Buspar makes me dizzy and upsets my stomach. 

However, on the lowest dose, it takes away that 'I'm going to jump out of my skin' feeling.  It also makes me hate on my co-workers a lot less. Being able to function is always a good thing.

It doesn't help with my w/d.  It doesn't help me with insomnia.  But, I have other mental health issues on top of klonopin withdrawal.