It seems to me it is taking more people a longer time to heal - anyone else feel

[Ho...]

It just all depends on your diet and how you take care of your body. You need a stress free environment surrounded by loving people who understand your situation and accept it. I have this going on. My husband and family are so use to my situation that when we get invited to supper at a family members house, often times they make foods I can tolerate and are not offended when I bring my own bread and other foods. We are also born again Christians and we pray a lot. I have no withdrawal symptoms at all.

Perhaps its because people who heal quick don't stick around and also, when I looked for things long heal times, I would find things to back my ideas (paradigm)

I'm 1 year 10 months off. I'm on a special diet due to my intollerances. I've also cut off caffeine and sugar completely. My husband is extremely supportive and I live in a secure and happy environment. I'm also Christian and pray a lot. I have no psychological symptoms but a lot of physical ones: neurological and intestinal. I'm debilitated most days. I was on another blog: benzowithdrawals.com but it's been closed down or something. There were many bloggers there who were in my same situation. Most felt the 2nd year was actually worse than the 1st.....

It just all depends on your diet and how you take care of your body. You need a stress free environment surrounded by loving people who understand your situation and accept it. I have this going on. My husband and family are so use to my situation that when we get invited to supper at a family members house, often times they make foods I can tolerate and are not offended when I bring my own bread and other foods. We are also born again Christians and we pray a lot. I have no withdrawal symptoms at all.

Sorry, but that is plain wrong.  I have a friend who cold turkeyed valium with no symptoms and he is a heavy smoker and drinker with a horrible diet and no spirituality at all.  I have been sick for two years on an organic diet and a carefully planned exercise routine, and I have lots of support.  I have also made a friend who is a devout Christian and who is on the verge of suicide because her withdrawal is so intense.  Be thankful that you are one of the LUCKY ones, because it is your genetics and your luck that is responsible for your easy withdrawal, not your diet and religious affiliation.

No withdrawal???

Your still on 140mg of librium and 10 mg of doxepin and scheduled to taper in 2 weeks.

Why should you have withdrawal symptoms??

There maybe many reasons why some people heal quicker then others.  Genetics does play a part in it, I'm sure but time is the ultimate factor in the end.  Somethings may alleviate the sx along the way.  I didn't exercise or eat right.  That doesn't mean that it wouldn't have helped.  For all our similarities, we do have a lot of differences.  What may have worked for me, may not work for others.  In the end, I see only two permanent variables that impact healing: time and remaining benzo free.  All other variables are probably unique to the individual and would be near impossible to broad stroke the concept on everyone sick.  Somethings may help people heal quicker, but identifying them in relation to each individual would be an exercise in futility.  This is a personal fight that the person who is dealing with it must determine the best course of action.

No withdrawal???

Your still on 140mg of librium and 10 mg of doxepin and scheduled to taper in 2 weeks.

Why should you have withdrawal symptoms??

I know how you feel, wantmylifeback. When I read posts like the one you have quoted, they bother me too. I’m sure the poster means no harm. I try to look at some other aspects of such posts (if there are any) and focus on them instead of the overall post itself - sort of like taking the “high road” in my own mind. I believe it helps me in my own recovery somehow. Sometimes it works - sometimes not.

In this case, you have pointed out something very important - current high dosage and future taper. If the poster goes ahead with the taper, she is very likely going to need some support in the weeks and months to come. She may be one (like some of us) who takes a long time to heal - maybe not. She has a long road ahead of her. We have already walked much of that road and are off benzos. We have been healing for over a year now. I thank God for where I am in the process. I think of what I faced at the beginning of this ordeal. I would never want to g back there. She is now facing the same dilemma we faced at the outset. I would not want to trade places with her at this point.

I hope she goes through the process unscathed. But, if she has difficulties as she travels toward benzo freedom, I hope I am here to help her and disregard the tone and implication of some of her current/recent posts. I honestly look at it as part of my own healing - self-therapy in a way.

eli

I took Klonopin for almost 7 years and many A/D's...I got off of 4mgs of Klonopin in 10 weeks, I was in HELL!! As soon as I got off of it I was given Levaquin for 10 days for a severe kidney infection...I believe all of this has made my w/d a completely nightmare and is undoubtedly the reason I am still suffering so much at a little over a year off...I am WAY better than I was, but far from where I want to be.

I would love to hear from those who are healed to chime in and assure us that healing really does take place.. I'm starting to have my doubts.  :'(

Don't give up WTBNA,

I've definitely heard from benzo-free and healthy people.

How about posting it as a question to draw some in, they may not be drawn to read this particular thread, but if they are still on here, they would surely want to share the good news.

There are archives as well - of people who were only here for a short time, healed and went on their way.

hth

I would love to hear from those who are healed to chime in and assure us that healing really does take place.. I'm starting to have my doubts.  :'(

You've been off benzos for a very short time.  It takes a while to get back to normal, but based on the time you were on the drugs and the amount of time you've been off, I can guarantee you are going to recover.  Just be patient.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this thread.

I'm almost 9 months off, and still very symptomatic. I still can't work and way too sore to exercise. I'm weak, and eating is still a challenge. Still I see progress, I am healing. My brain is clearing but it is not clear yet. I still have a lot of jerking and buzzing and tingling and nerve pain. My sleeping is still very messed up.

There is no doubt in my mind, that I will not be healed at one year, but I do see progress month to month. I have not had Windows, just gradually getting better. I still have a lot of difficulty organizing my thoughts, and paying a bill is still a challenge.

I also find that the forum is much better for people who are just getting off, or tapering, and so I welcome this thread for old timers, although some are older than me. I know that the forum aims to be inclusive, but it is nice to share with people who have similar concerns.

I'll be following this thread with interest. What has gotten better, a little bit of everything. I shake less, I bzz  less, I eat better, I sleep better, but I still have everything. I'm starting to be able to have conversations with people, short ones, but I have a lot of mental tension. I haven't seen people describe this symptom very often, it's not physical, it is mental. I have to disengage my brain and think of nothing regularly during the day, for example if I lay down for an hour. I will not sleep, but I can allow my brain to relax and not think about anything. I also have a lot of fatigue, and until asleep again if that ever happens, it's probably going to stay with me for a long time.

Hi Wellness. I'm glad to hear you are healing, even if it is gradual. I haven't seen you lately on the sleep forum, so you must be doing better. I have had a couple nites where I finally slept without otc drugs or melatonin. It really makes me hopeful that someday I will be able to sleep normally. I have to do such a major sleep regimen, but that's ok if it works.

I think you are right about the forum being best for people early in withdrawal. Many of the topics no longer apply to me. Sleep is still my major symptom. I guess there is only so much you can say about not sleeping. We know all the supplements to try. I even bought the zzz glasses, but they are too big and I am waiting for the smaller size. I do think they help. They block blue lite.

I do think it is helpful to read all the sleep threads. You never know when you might learn something new that can help. For those of us post menopausal, sleep is difficult anyway. I just hope someday we can all sleep normally, without any drugs or supplements.

Take care, Kathi

Sorry, but that is plain wrong.  I have a friend who cold turkeyed valium with no symptoms and he is a heavy smoker and drinker with a horrible diet and no spirituality at all.  I have been sick for two years on an organic diet and a carefully planned exercise routine, and I have lots of support.  I have also made a friend who is a devout Christian and who is on the verge of suicide because her withdrawal is so intense.  Be thankful that you are one of the LUCKY ones, because it is your genetics and your luck that is responsible for your easy withdrawal, not your diet and religious affiliation.

Ryan, it is not about my religion. I don't belong to one. I am a born again Christian. A close walk with the Lord does do wonders. I have a very sensitive system and was not so lucky at one time after my detox horror. Your friend who drinks and smokes a lot is probably too drunk to notice any withdrawal but one day he will pay with his health for what he is doing to it now. I am truly thankful that I am not going through withdrawal but I am also tapering very small amounts over long periods of time. This could add to why I am not in severe withdrawal.