Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril)

[Ma...]

The drug with the generic name Lisinopril (trade names Prinivil and Zestril) is a drug primarily used to control elevated blood pressure.  It's in a class of drugs called ACE inhibitors.

I was given a low dose (5 mg, once per day) of this drug during my withdrawal because I had slightly elevated blood pressure.

While the drug absolutely does a fine job of blood pressure control, I always felt "off" an hour or 2 after taking it. And then the rest of the day I was anxious and cold.  Lately, I've also been having an increase of benzo withdrawal symptoms, despite being over 9 months free from Klonopin. I just thought it was a long, protracted wave.

After a few trips to the ER with palpitations and rapid heart rate (135+ beats per minute), a potential connection to this drug and my symptoms was made by a nurse unrelated to my ER visits.

Nevertheless, my doctor reluctantly agreed to examine the possible link of the Lisinopril to my elevated anxiety, palpitations, tachycardia, and other issues by stopping the drug.

I withdrew from the Lisinopril several days ago and the change and improvement was remarkable.  Sure, some might attribute it to the mental relief of stopping the drug that I've mentally linked to my problems -- sort of a "reverse placebo effect."

Nevertheless, there are plenty of reports from users complaining how sick Lisinopril made them.  My symptoms, while not the predominant side effects, are indeed listed in some of the literature.

I'm just offering up my experience on the matter hoping that it might help someone else.  My experience may be entirely unique to me.

But before you make any changes to your medications, consult your own health care provider.  I do NOT advocate self-medication or adjusting your medications without professional input. 

For some people (cardiac patients), this class of drug is incredible. But it can have serious side effects. Go to www.askapatient.com to see what consumers have reported about it. You'll find validation there. So I don't think you got better getting off of it because of psychological relief.

Was it prescribed for blood pressure issues or w/d issues? Has your doctor tried a beta blocker? Very few people have trouble with beta blockers.

Hello Matthew, can you tell me how long it took to withdraw from the lisinopril, please. My PCP put me on lisinopril for a slight rise in blood pressure and I have been having increased heart palpitations as well. I get off and on body chills and like you, thought it was withdrawal from benzos.

What are you taking in place of lisinopril? I know others taking lisinopril who don't experience the heart palps so I wonder if the withdrawal sxs in conjunction with the lisinopril causes the heart issues...hmm, so interesting!

Take care,

Lida

I took 2 weeks to withdraw and did not get any replacement.  My BP is normal / low when I'm not all revved up.  I think I was being over-medicated.

My dose was low to begin with.  You should work with your doctor or health care provider to taper.  I do not recommend you do this without the advice and guidance of a trained person.

• 1 year later...

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for sharing your lisinipril experience. Please can you tell if you did dry-dose taper or water-titration. I am on 20mg, and am thinking it will need the latter. I am doing a taper down, not getting off it completely.

I posted some links about how ACE Inhibitors like Lisinopril have anxiolytic effect for those in benzo W/D here.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=75535.msg1002227#msg1002227

But the side-effects more than decompensate for any gains, eventually, I would say.

Thanks again.

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for sharing your lisinipril experience. Please can you tell if you did dry-dose taper or water-titration. I am on 20mg, and am thinking it will need the latter. I am doing a taper down, not getting off it completely.

I posted some links about how ACE Inhibitors like Lisinopril have anxiolytic effect for those in benzo W/D here.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=75535.msg1002227#msg1002227

But the side-effects more than decompensate for any gains, eventually, I would say.

Thanks again.

That person's experience resembles mine.  The Lisinopril isn't anxiolytic for that person either.  It appears that the symptoms of benzo withdrawal were exacerbated while taking Lisinopril.  I also note that this person has a strong vasovagal response.  This could be due to the benzo withdrawal, as I suffered problems with vasavagal tone and saw an expert for dysautonomia. (Doctor's opinion that my autonomic hyper-excitability and vagal tone problems were from benzo use.)

My symptoms with my autonomic nervous system were from benzo withdrawal.  And the experience I had with Lisinopril was probably an unfortunate co-consequence of the withdrawal from Klonopin.

As for how I withdrew, it was a dry-cut taper, per my doctor.  Low dose tablets like the 5 mg. were easy to cut down to 2.5, and then 1.25 (quarters) then quit.

I hope this was helpful.

Some days I'm not smart.  I just realized that both posts I reference are from the same person.... You.  Hah... I can't read, it seems.  :sick:

Hello:

I also take Lisinopril 20mg for HBP. Wondering if there is a correlation to this and my increase in sx during w/d

off of Xanax. I am tapering using dry cut. Even at .0625 mg doseage reductions I have to cut and hold

between doseage reductions due to the sx w/d. Which are just like I cut 25mg of X. But maybe its just my body.

How would I go about checking this out? I know going to the DR etc.

Trying to figure out my options if there is one. It could be I am just very sensitive to each doseage reduction no matter

what.

Notforme :angel:

Thank you matthew for your help. I am new to the forum, so have been posting my queries all over. Sorry for the confusion this caused.

I just read through several older threads while searching for lisinopril experiences, and find your posts and those of other senior buddies very helpful.

I will talk to my PCP about the taper down, though I think she will advocate a switch to another drug.

Notforme, I did a quick search on pubmed for correlation between xanax and lisinopril. I think more searching will likely reveal it. As for the difficulty in my taper, I have found that the tolerance W/D that our bodies go through due to progesterone fluctuations every month is a big factor. From wikipedia: Progesterone is a neurosteroid that is cross-tolerant with diazepam. Could xanax be one too...

Shisham

Thank you for the information. I will be researching this out.

Best of luck with your Doctor and your tapering.

Be good to You

Notforme

• 3 months later...

That person's experience resembles mine.  The Lisinopril isn't anxiolytic for that person either.  It appears that the symptoms of benzo withdrawal were exacerbated while taking Lisinopril.  I also note that this person has a strong vasovagal response.  This could be due to the benzo withdrawal, as I suffered problems with vasavagal tone and saw an expert for dysautonomia. (Doctor's opinion that my autonomic hyper-excitability and vagal tone problems were from benzo use.)

My symptoms with my autonomic nervous system were from benzo withdrawal.  And the experience I had with Lisinopril was probably an unfortunate co-consequence of the withdrawal from Klonopin.

As for how I withdrew, it was a dry-cut taper, per my doctor.  Low dose tablets like the 5 mg. were easy to cut down to 2.5, and then 1.25 (quarters) then quit.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks for sharing. How are you feeling lately?

• 5 years later...
I know this is an old post of yours, but was the cut you are referring to, a cut of lisinopril or a cut of your benzo? Looking for anecdotes as i think my valium taper sxs are aggravated by lisinopril.