taking a beta blocker with an anti-psychotic

[ni...]

I've been having trouble with my sleep ever since I got off klonopin but now I'm taking the lowest dose of Risperdal (risperidone), and because I take a beta blocker (Coreg) it puts me to sleep well.  Gotta be careful though, most doctors won't prescribe an antipsychotic with a beta blocker.  It causes low blood pressure and can be dangerous. 

I know no one here is big on taking meds, but this has helped me.  My suicidal ideation was getting bad and although it still arises from time to time, it feels under control compared to what it used to be.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else here take a beta blocker with an anti-psychotic

I'm glad your routine is working for you.

My 93 year old mother takes a beta blocker and an anti-psychotic, but then again she has pretty high blood pressure. So no problems.

I'm sure you have a means to monitor your blood pressure. Feeling light headed when you stand, etc. Or even a home blood pressure machine. As long as you're good on the BP, I wouldn't see any worry. Keeping your head together is important! (That's the child of the 70s in me talking.)

I'm taking the lowest dose of Risperdal (risperidone)

Yeah, I take the stuff too when I need it PRN, but supposed to take it daily.

It helps me with many things, I take the highest doses of it usually 4-6 mg.

I'm taking the lowest dose of Risperdal (risperidone)

Yeah, I take the stuff too when I need it PRN, but supposed to take it daily.

It helps me with many things, I take the highest doses of it usually 4-6 mg.

Mod* Also I have various AP's too Zyprexa, Invega, Haldol.

I have never taken a beta blocker with them but I think if it is working for you, it should be safe.

Talk to your doctor.

• 2 weeks later...