Anxiety: worse than all other w/d symptoms combined!!

[le...]

For me anxiety is worse than all other w/d symptoms combined!! It is completely debilitating and makes doing anything at all almost impossible.

It feels that if the anxiety would go away the rest of the recovery process would be plain sailing!

To all of you suffering from this dreadful symptom, GET WELL SOON!!

From 'Leave'

For me anxiety is worse than all other w/d symptoms combined!! It is completely debilitating and makes doing anything at all almost impossible.

It feels that if the anxiety would go away the rest of the recovery process would be plain sailing!

To all of you suffering from this dreadful symptom, GET WELL SOON!!

From 'Leave'

For me it was one of my worst s/x too - just horrid, day in day out  :(  But now that I am 14 months benzo free, I barely have to deal with anxiety any more.  And if I do get the odd blip once in a while, it is uber mild compared to the hellish levels I had to contend with in withdrawal and early healing.

Hang on in there because it will get better  :)

When my anxiety is at its worst, its the worst symptom. When my depression is at its worst, it wins the title. I feel like I ping-pong between these two the most. "Helps" that these were pre-existing issues, but the benzos have certainly amplified things.

I try throwing a couple different things at the anxiety.

Sometimes punching something (soft, don't hurt yourself) is satisfying (I got a pair of boxing gloves from my sister, who's been through depression and loved the idea of beating the crap out of the symptoms).

I yell and scream sometimes (windows closed and no one else home; don't scare the neighbours!).

But I think what (surprisingly) works best for me is progressive muscle relaxation - there's lots of free podcasts and streaming audio so you can find one that you like (some voices just grate on me). I never think it's going to help, but it (so far) takes some of the edge off.

I've also tried some mindfulness meditation (Jon Kabat-Zinn is good), but this one is a bit dicey for me - sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much.

Any one else got things that work for them?

I agree - the anxiety can be crippling. It usually leads me in to depression because I just get so worn out. In the last couple of months I've developed a stutter that I never had before. I just can't get the words out, the anxiety is so bad and my neck just seizes up and I have to remind myself to breathe and try that whole "talking thing" all over again. I do try to face the fears on a daily basis, but it's painful. I'm becoming fearful of leaving the house some days. I still try to make the effort, and I do well, but usually end up coming home and having a meltdown of some kind. It just gets so over-whelming. The advice from a friend was: "focus on what you did and be proud of it, especially given what you're going through. never mind the 'i went out, but i melted down'. stick to the 'i went out'." Good advice, but hard to follow!

Long post - kudos to all who make it through. Trying to channel my anxiety in to the keyboard while hanging out in the public library (yikes!).

Hope you all keep making it through the days.

I agree - the anxiety can be crippling. It usually leads me in to depression because I just get so worn out

Hi Stiv, yes I know exactly what you mean about the bad tiredness anxiety causes.

I must agree it is the WORST symptom of all that I've had. And I've had most of them.  It's very debilitating to say the least.  I have it every single day, some days all day long and/or panic all day long.  But, since nothing I do really takes it away, I know its BW and I've been told by some that had it just as bad as me, that it goes completely away.  So, we have to hang on to that and remind ourselves its our brain trying to heal.  So much self talk all day long is exhausting, but its what we must do throughout this process.  I feel your suffering.  Hang on, and remember everyone that had it says it goes away.  Take care!

P

Thanks for the reminders that "this too shall pass". The anxiety/fear/overwhelm is brutal. I look forward to easier times.

KPJ - it gives me comfort to hear you be positive while also saying that some days you have it all day long. Likewise. I was advised once to try to "sit with the anxiety" - to just let it run its course. But it doesn't ease up a lot of the time. Guess I have to try to remember that it's not forever and is just part of the process.

Isnt anxiety/panic what these damn things are prescribed for to begin with? :(

Yes, and benzos have caused me far more of this than they've ever saved me from!!

Isnt anxiety/panic what these damn things are prescribed for to begin with? :(

Now ain't that a kick in the head?

Have to say, the first time I tried benzos (years back with a much more controlled administration and no noticeable w/d) it was such a relief from the anxiety and depression. This time around, they've just muddied the waters (and my brain). I feel like it's set me back in my recovery from the original breakdown that led me to taking them.

One step forward, two steps back. Wait, why are things getting further away?

You almost have to laugh at it, except it's not that funny when you're in it.

The anxiety is pretty bad... But does it help to remind yourself that its caused by withdrawal? Also, for someone with panic disorder who is hyper-aware of any and all sensations, the withdrawal process can take an especially large toll.

Cbrons,

I hear you.

Yes, it does help to think that at least some of this is w/d. What helped me get out of bed this morning was saying "This is your brain on drugs" like those old ads with the egg in the frying pan. This is my brain on drugs. It takes some of the pressure off.

Do you experience the panic/hyper-aware piece? I call it the "overwhelm". Exhausting.

Cheers,

Stiv

Leave,

I could have wrote your post myself.

I totally agree with everything you wrote, totally sums it up for me as well.

Then I scroll down and see Bevoir's post and I think, it's not "just me", other's had it and it went away.

I hope I don't have to wait until month 14 though, that's another 10!

I am calm now as it is 20:30 in the evening but, like Groundhog Day, it will return on wakening in the morning until about mid afternoon (sometimes eralier, sometimes later.)

Hang on in there, it must end at some point, it did for Bevoir, I wish other members would step up here and say they don't have it anymore either.

Hi Got to beat this!

Thanks for dropping by!

Yes, anxiety sure is a tough one, if it wasn't for the anxiety I never would have taken those damn pills to begin with!

I have also thought of my situation as being like Groundhog Day, waking up and living the same day over and over without there ever being a tomorrow.

But we must keep hoping for a new day.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

'Leave'

Hi Leave:

Your reference to "Groundhog Day" made me laugh.  It used to be one of my favorite movies.  Now my life is a carbon copy-everday is the same as it was the day before.  However, I know that one of these days it is going to be better.  My life was not better (even though I thought it was at the time) when I was taking those stupid pills, so things have to improve from there.  As my therapist says, I started out at zero (which was terrible), and now I am maybe at about 20%, so my life has gotten better, even though it is not at the speed I would like.

I enjoy your posts.  I hope your day is turning out well.

Jenn :hug:

• Popular Now

• [Lo...]