Attack of the shakes

[Gl...]

Lately, I've been getting this anxiety symptom where I'll be completely fine, usually doing something on the computer, and out of nowhere my whole body will get shaky and it will lead into a panic attack.  I had one of these happen this morning.  I was up writing a song on Garage Band (music creation program) and I got the shakes out of nowhere which led into a full blown panic attack.  This was about 7:00 AM this morning and I'm finally starting to feel better and calm down at 12.  Is this normal to be going through during withdrawal?  I read that panic attacks are only supposed to last for an hour but these last a lot longer.  It seems like every time it happens, I get the shakes first and then the anxious feeling and thoughts later.  I only started to get these during the last week of my taper and since I quit.  I would really appreciate any advice and support, since this seems to be my worst symptom as of right now.  When the panic attack sets in, it gets so bad that I feel like I can barely function or do anything but pace around and drink water.  It is terrible.  It's hard to think straight.  Luckily I haven't had this happen at school.  I think this would be the 3rd or 4th time I've had it happen so far.

Hi Glyn!

Is it kind of like shivering, but you don't feel cold?

I had something similar on day 3 when I attempted to c/t last year. 

Just remember that it is only a w/d symptom.  Try to reassure yourself that it does not mean you will have a full blown panic attack.

It's not easy, I know. 

Hope that helps a bit :)

Hi GlynG. Very sorry about the anxiety.

I used to get very strong jitters and anxiety/fear between 9am and noon and on bad days those symptoms would go from 6am to 6pm during the early part of my withdrawal. I would not be shaking on the outside...just felt like it inside. I could not stand to lay in bed with the intrusive thoughts shooting through my head. They had no basis in reality and were not even scarey but they still made me jerk when they would shoot through my brain. Dumb untrue thoughts like "my uncle just arrived in a new car". It really helped me to get out and walk and focus on thanking God for everything I could think of during my walk....even if I could not feel joy because of the jitters and anxiety it helped me pass those hours. Afterwards my symptoms would usually diminish with the afternoon and I would be tired but at peace. Every thing in my life has been relatively fine so there was never an object to the "fear" I felt.

I think anxiety and jitters are one of the most common W/d symptoms.....is this new for you or are you describing something very different?

I'm feeling a lot better than when I first made that post, as I pointed out in chat.  I've been reading up on techniques that tell you to use reverse psychology on panic attacks, saying bring it and trying to make yourself have a panic attack.  It kind of seems to work for me.  I would have untrue irrational, intrusive thoughts too when this happens.  I would describe it a lot like shivering but not being cold.  Sometimes I worry that I'm cold and put on some more clothes but it rarely seems to help.  I think it is a bad wave since I just hit 7 days benzo free.  Thanks for the input on this subject. I'm glad I'm feeling a lot better and hopefully I'm developing coping skills for the next time I get blindsided with anxiety.  I've always had some anxiety but never in this way before so I guess it is new for me in that sense.

Hi there!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing panic attacks.  I TOO told myself "I thought attacks only lasted 1/2 hour?!"...mine went on for 5+ hours!!!  HORRIBLE!!!  I can't give you any great tips b/c I was like that throughout my entire taper...i just had to learn to go w/ it (not easy).  Eventually my body would settle and it would end...hours later.  On a positive note, since jumping, I haven't had ONE attack like that.  I've had panic attacks, but now they last at the very most, 1 hour.  And that is rare.  Normally now, they'll last 10-30 minutes and then I have about an hour cry after (I'm VERY emotional since jumping).  It will go away eventually...so sorry that you are experiencing this nasty s/x. 

I hope this s/x passes for you very soon...i know how hard it is.

Take care,

Schatje

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, I've been getting this anxiety symptom where I'll be completely fine, usually doing something on the computer, and out of nowhere my whole body will get shaky and it will lead into a panic attack.  I had one of these happen this morning.  I was up writing a song on Garage Band (music creation program) and I got the shakes out of nowhere which led into a full blown panic attack.  This was about 7:00 AM this morning and I'm finally starting to feel better and calm down at 12.  Is this normal to be going through during withdrawal?  I read that panic attacks are only supposed to last for an hour but these last a lot longer.  It seems like every time it happens, I get the shakes first and then the anxious feeling and thoughts later.  I only started to get these during the last week of my taper and since I quit.  I would really appreciate any advice and support, since this seems to be my worst symptom as of right now.  When the panic attack sets in, it gets so bad that I feel like I can barely function or do anything but pace around and drink water.  It is terrible.  It's hard to think straight.  Luckily I haven't had this happen at school.  I think this would be the 3rd or 4th time I've had it happen so far.

Panic attacks themselves (racing heartbeat, all the other stuff) typically last less than 10 minutes. States of High Anxiety (HSA) can last much, much longer. By the way, it is almost always the case that sensations (i.e. your shakes) precede panic attacks. What happens is you notice a sensation, interpret it as dangerous/strange (or it just makes you extremely uncomfortable and you want it to go away/fight with it) and then you launch into a panic attack. Very, very common. The key would be to just "accept" the sensation, note its presence, but try not to fight it... if you get what I mean?

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Luckily, I haven't had the panic attacks happen again.  I think it might have been the effect of feeling cuts after my taper and now that I have benzo free time, it's gone away.

Hi Glen, happy to know the panick attacks have gone away.

I noticed in your signature, you were on several drugs for a year and three months after discontinuing those drugs you took something else for insomnia. Was insomnia your only withdrawal sx after you ceased taking the benzos?

If so, you have a really good track record for getting off these awful pills, hang on to that!

Take care,

Lida

I had insomnia mainly but I also had some lingering OCD symptoms.  Other than that, that's about it.  The reason I had insomnia was because I was drinking a lot of caffeine and alcohol, and smoking weed in addition to the benzo withdrawals.  Now that I've taken all that stuff away, it's not so bad.  I had a bad feeling when I started drinking caffeine again after I quit and it really messed me up.  It was hard to resist Starbucks coffee..lol.  I don't think I would have gotten back on benzo's if it wasn't for the caffeine and maybe the alcohol too.