NSAIDs and withdrawal

[Eu...]

Hello All!

Last wednesday the dentist gave me Ketanov after his manipulations.

In US this medicine is known under the names of Toradol and Acular.

It's the NSAID with strong pain killing effect.

I took it twice.

The next day I exepirenced bad setback in my withdrawal status with

balloon headaches, itching, muscle and jaws pain returned.

I'm nearly sure that these fact are linked.

Does anyone have any thoughs about NSAIDs side effects interfering

the withdrawal process?

Presonally, I know that Ibuprofen is safe, for instance.

What do you think about the other drugs like Nimesulide etc?

Hi EugLemke,

I'm not familiar with those medications, but I looked up Toradol and it is an NSAID. I used to take Naproxen (another NSAID) for whiplash. It did seem to rev up my symptoms. I don't take Naproxen anymore. If it were me, I would stick with the Ibuprofen and not take a chance of experiencing those symptoms.

I have taken Advil through my entire taper for a medical condition and have not noticed it revving up symptoms.  But...everyone is different.  Some can take fish oil and I can't....

Donna

I was prescribed Naproxen and Xanax in combo for years. ??? Here is what wikipedia says about NSAIDs and benzos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

NSAIDs have some mild GABA antagonistic properties and some may even displace benzodiazepines from their binding site according to animal research. They do not cause as potent antagonism of GABA function as fluoroquinolones.

I had a terrible time with symptoms any time a took an NSAID.  I started to avoid them like the plague, and just stuck with Tylenol.  It did not help much with pounding headaches, but at least it did not throw me into a bad state of worsening symptoms. ;)

I think NSAIDs is a big enough issue that I kinda think it should be one of the permanent threads at the top of this board.

I hit my 3rd month benzo free feeling worse than ever. I went on askapatient.com and noticed that people complained of symptoms just like mine from taking Celebrex. I was taking 200mg Celebrex a day. A strong NSAID.

I switched to Aleve, had a window, then things went bad again. After a week I thought, heck, why not stop all NSAIDs, see what happens? Kind of a brave thing to do considering the amount of inflammation and pain I have from arthritis. But in 4-5 days, my withdrawal COMPLETELY went away. 100% healed in 5 days from stopping NSAIDs.

After three weeks I slowly introduced the NSAIDs without problem. I now take them as needed.

I think NSAIDs is a big enough issue that I kinda think it should be one of the permanent threads at the top of this board.

I hit my 3rd month benzo free feeling worse than ever. I went on askapatient.com and noticed that people complained of symptoms just like mine from taking Celebrex. I was taking 200mg Celebrex a day. A strong NSAID.

I switched to Aleve, had a window, then things went bad again. After a week I thought, heck, why not stop all NSAIDs, see what happens? Kind of a brave thing to do considering the amount of inflammation and pain I have from arthritis. But in 4-5 days, my withdrawal COMPLETELY went away. 100% healed in 5 days from stopping NSAIDs.

After three weeks I slowly introduced the NSAIDs without problem. I now take them as needed.

Wow, that is pretty amazing yram. I'm glad that you figured that out. I made no connection all those years when I was on Xanax and an NSAID, I was probably revving up my inter-dose w/d all the time and not knowing it!

I know Naproxen is Aleve. I wonder how many members here take Aleve or not know it is an NSAID? ...or know it might aggravate their w/d?

I take ibuprofen BECAUSE of my withdrawal symptoms. I have been feeling really achy and ibuprofen does help; also helps with the headaches. Now I'm a bit scared that it could make things worse. How does it worsen things (not a a scientific reason why, but just what type of w/d symptoms does it make worse)?

I take ibuprofen BECAUSE of my withdrawal symptoms. I have been feeling really achy and ibuprofen does help; also helps with the headaches. Now I'm a bit scared that it could make things worse. How does it worsen things (not a a scientific reason why, but just what type of w/d symptoms does it make worse)?

The symptoms it made worse for me were anxiety, DP and DR.

This is from the above link by wikipedia:

"NSAIDs have some mild GABA antagonistic properties and some may even displace benzodiazepines from their binding site according to animal research. They do not cause as potent antagonism of GABA function as fluoroquinolones. However, NSAIDs taken in combination with fluoroquinolones cause a very significant increase in GABA antagonism which may result in very severe GABA antagonism, GABA toxicity, and seizures and other severe adverse effects (see fluoroquinolone toxicity)."

If you have been taking it and not experiencing problems, then don't let this worry you.  We have other members who can take ibuprofen with no problems. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your notes!

Today I got a bit better. Ears are still clogged and the head aches though..

In our state even the slight GABA action is unwanted.

So I won't do anything like that again..